The Student Room Group

Lump on testicle

Ok I really need to discuss this, because it's honestly chewing away at me.

About 2 weeks ago I went to the doctors after noticing a small (and my small I mean miniscule) lump in my right testicle. I got examined by the doc, she said that she wouldn't expect it to be cancer, but referred me to an ultrasound scan just to be sure.

I've heard nothing since then. I phoned the medical practice at the start of the week and they said hospital appointments usually take a while to get sent out. Meanwhile I'm having trouble getting to sleep, having mild freakouts about the possibility of being diagnosed with cancer and being paranoid that the lump is growing.

I feel like this is being treated with no sense of urgency. I'm terrified and I have no idea what to do.
Reply 1
Original post by davidsafc
Ok I really need to discuss this, because it's honestly chewing away at me.

About 2 weeks ago I went to the doctors after noticing a small (and my small I mean miniscule) lump in my right testicle. I got examined by the doc, she said that she wouldn't expect it to be cancer, but referred me to an ultrasound scan just to be sure.

I've heard nothing since then. I phoned the medical practice at the start of the week and they said hospital appointments usually take a while to get sent out. Meanwhile I'm having trouble getting to sleep, having mild freakouts about the possibility of being diagnosed with cancer and being paranoid that the lump is growing.

I feel like this is being treated with no sense of urgency. I'm terrified and I have no idea what to do.

If the doctor didn't think it's cancer, chances are it's not cancer. If you're worried that it's changed at all, go back to the doctors and ask them to have another look.
Reply 2
If it's growing, probably just a cyst with fluid it.
Reply 3
Original post by pjm600
If the doctor didn't think it's cancer, chances are it's not cancer. If you're worried that it's changed at all, go back to the doctors and ask them to have another look.

Doctors are people too and they can make mistakes, a simple examination is not enough to convince me. Is it normal to wait so long for an ultrasound scan and is there any way of getting one sooner?
Reply 4
Doctors are people too and they can make mistakes, a simple examination is not enough to convince me. Is it normal to wait so long for an ultrasound scan and is there any way of getting one sooner?

If you can afford it I'm sure you can go and do it in a privately owned medical institution if you really don't wanna wait.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Djordje
If you can afford itI'm sure you can go and do it in a privately owned medical institution if you really don't wanna wait.

I'm a skint student unfortunately.
Reply 6
If it is impacting your mental health you should explain to your doctor.
Reply 7
I'm a skint student unfortunately.

My advice in that case is to speak to your doctor about your current mental state it's causing you, try and use that to get your appointment quickly.
bro, dont worry. ive had 2 checked out because im like that. the second i sense something is wrong i have it checked out because i want to be in the best health possible. anyway, both were cysts of some sort that were formed of calcium or something like that. anyway theyre nothing to worry about. usually a cancerous lump will be quite large and swell. if the lump was just hardish feeling then it should be ok. obviously dont take that for granted, still pursue the results. good luck.
Reply 9
Original post by DanLorenzo
bro, dont worry. ive had 2 checked out because im like that. the second i sense something is wrong i have it checked out because i want to be in the best health possible. anyway, both were cysts of some sort that were formed of calcium or something like that. anyway theyre nothing to worry about. usually a cancerous lump will be quite large and swell. if the lump was just hardish feeling then it should be ok. obviously dont take that for granted, still pursue the results. good luck.

See the doc said it was probably nothing because of the size, but I feel like it's getting bigger (might be paranoia) and obviously a lump doesn't just appear big one day, I would assume it grows from a small size.

It's a shame I'm in uni in Scotland, they don't do walk in centres up here and my GP is shut all weekend.
Reply 10
See the doc said it was probably nothing because of the size, but I feel like it's getting bigger (might be paranoia) and obviously a lump doesn't just appear big one day, I would assume it grows from a small size.

It's a shame I'm in uni in Scotland, they don't do walk in centres up here and my GP is shut all weekend.

If you can feel it growing, it's unlikely to be cancer. Most testicular cancers grow slowly. Where as several things that look like testicular cancer can grow rapidly.

I suggest that you go back to your GP since you're so worried.
Reply 11
It's definitely changed over the past few days, I'm not sure whether it's getting bigger or not. It used to be the size of a pin head, so it was very "sharp" to the touch but now I feel like it's bigger but a little less obvious, like I have to really feel for it to find it. What should I do? I could go back to my GP but I'm not sure what use it would do.

I spoke to them earlier in the week and they said that they had referred me to the hospital for a scan but it was out of their hands now, I just need to wait until I'm contacted about it.
Reply 12
bump (no pun intended)
What has the doctors said?

Quick Reply

Latest