The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
So about 1 months solid prep for UKCAT should be enough? I'll look into stuff and dip into stuff here and there before to become familiar with the sections.
Original post by -Neuro-
So about 1 months solid prep for UKCAT should be enough? I'll look into stuff and dip into stuff here and there before to become familiar with the sections.

The amount of time you need to prepare will vary from person to person, but about a month is what I did last year and got a score of 710. You don't need to spend whole days on it though if you're preparing for that long- my strategy was to do abourt 2-3 hours per day, and then step it up a bit closer to the exam. I think if you do much more you can risk running out of materials to practice with, plus you'll end up spending your entire summer working for it.

If you haven't already got it, the 600Q book is, imo, one of the best out there. There's also lots of free stuff on sites like getintomedicine, and the wiki page- http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/UKCAT#Preparation_for_the_UKCAT -has a load more free resources and questions for each of the sections :smile:
Reply 182
Original post by Ingenting
The amount of time you need to prepare will vary from person to person, but about a month is what I did last year and got a score of 710. You don't need to spend whole days on it though if you're preparing for that long- my strategy was to do abourt 2-3 hours per day, and then step it up a bit closer to the exam. I think if you do much more you can risk running out of materials to practice with, plus you'll end up spending your entire summer working for it.

If you haven't already got it, the 600Q book is, imo, one of the best out there. There's also lots of free stuff on sites like getintomedicine, and the wiki page- http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/UKCAT#Preparation_for_the_UKCAT -has a load more free resources and questions for each of the sections :smile:

Thank you! That's what I was planning on doing. There are some really good stuff online, the aspect I'm most afraid about are the new changes.
Original post by -Neuro-
Thank you! That's what I was planning on doing. There are some really good stuff online, the aspect I'm most afraid about are the new changes.

I think that as long as you prepare properly for the changes you've got nothing to worry about- just make sure that any resource you use is up to date and gives advice for answering the new section/ question types. I wouldn't worry too much about the confidence ratings for DA though- they're only being trialled, so won't affect your score.
Reply 184
Just a quick question about the AR section. So, for type 4 this is what the UKCAT website says:

Type 4: you will be presented with two sets of shapes labelled “Set A” and “Set B”. You will be asked to select which of the four response options belongs to Set A or Set B.

Now, by looking on their website where they show the examples I assume that the last image is the one depicting a typical 'type 4'. However, to me this looks much the same as Type 1? - Where are the four response option as it states in the description above?

I found the books a little difficult to do as its the timinig that is difficult in the UKCAT! make sure you use free sites like ukcathelp .org ; gets you ready for the real thing time wise! :smile:
Original post by jameslewis91
I found the books a little difficult to do as its the timinig that is difficult in the UKCAT! make sure you use free sites like ukcathelp .org ; gets you ready for the real thing time wise! :smile:

Hey that site looks great! First free site that I've seen that is realistic and has loads of questions to practice on. Thanks again!!
Original post by jameslewis91

I get where you're coming from, but both times i've sat the UKCAT I found that it's far better to use some untimed resources to familiarise yourself with the question types, and then start timing from when you feel comfortable with them. That site actually looks quite useful, but I'd still use it alongside other resources, to give you more material to practice with :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'd say use the 600Q book first to familiarize yourself with the questions then time yourself with medify for 2/3 weeks leading up to the test.
I get where you're coming from, but both times i've sat the UKCAT I found that it's far better to use some untimed resources to familiarise yourself with the question types, and then start timing from when you feel comfortable with them. That site actually looks quite useful, but I'd still use it alongside other resources, to give you more material to practice with :smile:

I agree 100% with this. IMO, it's pointless to throw yourself into timed tests before you have figured out techniques for answering questions. I'd be worried that anyone diving straight into timed tests could very easily become discouraged.
Reply 190
Was just thinking what the best way to study for my ukcat. Is it better to start of with UKCAThelp.org then getintomedicine then 600Q book then MEDIFY? or does it not matter? I would like to leave the online PEARSON test to the end.
Original post by Ama2007
Was just thinking what the best way to study for my ukcat. Is it better to start of with UKCAThelp.org then getintomedicine then 600Q book then MEDIFY? or does it not matter? I would like to leave the online PEARSON test to the end.

I don't think it matters at all which order you use those resources in- in fact I think I used them together- just that you let yourself get used to the questions by doing them untimed first, and then work your way towards the time limit :smile: I definitely agree that you should leave the full mock tests until later in your prep- but make sure you leave a gap between them, in order to improve on where you might've gone wrong :smile:
Original post by Ama2007

I did UKCAT last year.Since then I've recommended that people start their prep campaign by reading all the non-question chapters of the 600Q book, as they give an excellent explanation of how the test works. The only reason I wouldn't automatically say the same thing this year is that UKCAT has changed in some ways for this year (mainly the addition of SJT, plus some tweaks in other areas). I still think 600Q is a good place to start, followed by familiarizing yourself with an understanding of the changes.

Leaving the PEARSON test until the end is also good. This is the best resource for familiarizing yourself with the user interface, in particular the onscreen calculator. Btw, when you get to use the calculator, you'll realize that you'll save some time if you keep your mental maths sharp.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 193
My mental maths is rubbish, I have been using lumosity, its really good website but dont know if its any good for the UKCAT...?
Reply 194
Original post by Pastaferian
Leaving the PEARSON test until the end is also good. This is the best resource for familiarizing yourself with the user interface, in particular the onscreen calculator. Btw, when you get to use the calculator, you'll realize that you'll save some time if you keep your mental maths sharp.

Are you saying this because it might be difficult for people to key in the sums on the calculator? I've been practicing on my own PC calculator using the keyboard along side doing some mental maths.
Original post by J1mmy
Are you saying this because it might be difficult for people to key in the sums on the calculator? I've been practicing on my own PC calculator using the keyboard along side doing some mental maths.

It's not difficult, it's just slow, compared to a manual calculator. Try using Microsoft's onscreen calculator and compare it to a manual one - that gives a good impression of what I'm talking about.
How do we find out how different universities will be using the new Situational Judgement section?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sandrabondaruk
How do we find out how different universities will be using the new Situational Judgement section?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I assume they'll either put information about that in their admissions policies, available from their websites, but if you can't find anything a quick email should clear things up for you :smile:
Original post by sandrabondaruk

As it's new, there's no info yet on TSR, AFAIK, so it's down to emails, phone calls, open days and websites.

They are under no obligation to use it, and may give different weights to it if they do. Some uni's currently explore the SJT dimension in interviews (eg, Leeds uses multi-mini-interviews), while Nottingham required applicants to complete their own version of SJT last year. However, the UKCAT SJT may supersede these in future years. At Nottingham, SJT scores made up 15% of each applicants ranking last year... http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/mhs/undergraduate-courses/routes/medicine-ug/applicationprocedures/questionnaireinterviewsandoffers.aspx
I applied to both, but I can't tell you about other uni's
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 199
Original post by Pastaferian
It's not difficult, it's just slow, compared to a manual calculator. Try using Microsoft's onscreen calculator and compare it to a manual one - that gives a good impression of what I'm talking about.

As long as I can use the keyboard I'll be happy.

Latest

Trending

Trending