The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Doing my test end of September I think. I'm away rill 24thaugust working in a lab in Asia and doing bits here and there but will aim to do a minimum of 2/3hrs a day when back for 3/4 weeks. Going to try practice QR questions, maybe do gcse math's papers to make sure my maths is up to scratch!
For any of you looking to apply for a course I would highly recommend Kaplan! Not only have they already prepared me for the changes but I feel very confident too! They give you excellent tips and tricks for keeping in time and finding an answer quickly... AND once you finish the 2 day course you have access to their online tests and quizzes! Good luck to everyone taking their exams!!! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by chocandy21
From my knowledge of last year you can apply to Sheffield as they have a cut off at 600 and don't look at your score as long as its above 600
don't know ifits the same this year but I'd assume so

Sheffield's cut off this year will be 650 (2,600), it's been heavily circulated too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lorobolorolo
Can anyone help me figure out the pattern in this abstract reasoning question?
I can't seem to figure it out.
Thank you :smile:ar.jpg

Yeah the pattern in set A only has to have 1 circle and set B always has more than 1 circle :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1984
what revision books are u guys using?
To Those who have done the test, What was your main type of DA question?

2000th post!
Reply 1986
To those of you who have done the test and used medify, I was just wondering if you throuht that their abstract reasoning questions were a fair reflection of the difficulty of those in the actual test?
Can't work out if they're easier than the ones in the 600 ukcat book or whether I've just improved...haha, hopefully the latter!

thanks guys! :smile:
Reply 1987
Original post by MJK91
That's the problem though, I want to apply to ukcat heavy universities like Kings and Newcastle. I'm applying for GEM and at kings the competition is about 60:1, and last year the cut off was 730 last year. That's very high anyway, and because I only have 740, I'm not convinced I'll be above the cut off this year with all the higher scores.

60:1 where did this come from? That probably includes people who were rejected outright getting scores below the threshold?

I'm also applying onto GEM and I'm considering Kings as my first choice. If they're getting 60:1 they could just interview the 90+ percentile of scores and be done with it - that'd fill their spaces easily, but I'm sure if you feel you might be in the grey area you can compensate by an excellent PS.

How much higher did the cut off increase over the past few years for Kings?
Reply 1988
Hi,

I received a letter from the ukcat consortium regarding a change in my ukcat score. I originally scored 750. But after a change the ukcat have made in my decision analysis score, it's changed from 900 to 890. This moves my average down to 747.5. I thought Id give you guys the heads up about this change. They have explained that an anomaly was found in the routine analysis of my score and hence a small number of questions were not accurately weighted.

As you can imagine I was actually shaking when reading the letter and thought my score of 750 will change dramatically, but it's only been changed by 3.5 points, and I'm still proud of my score as I worked extremely hard for it.

Am I the only one who received this letter?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by J1mmy
60:1 where did this come from? That probably includes people who were rejected outright getting scores below the threshold?

I'm also applying onto GEM and I'm considering Kings as my first choice. If they're getting 60:1 they could just interview the 90+ percentile of scores and be done with it - that'd fill their spaces easily, but I'm sure if you feel you might be in the grey area you can compensate by an excellent PS.

I have also seen a statistic of 66:1. Cant remember where though! Hopefully there are a lot of people who apply and dont't realise of the UKCAT cut off - might make stats slightly better if you meet the cut off.
Reply 1990
hey
i wanted to know whether while you give the ukcat they give u a paper and pen...inside the examination hall?....i mean i know that the ukcat is computer based test and that there is calculator too...but some questions need to be written and done on the paper cause its hard to do them mentally.

also i have he 600+ book...and in their tips they said that make sure ur marker writes on the white board properly....so do they give a whiteboard and marker instead of a pen and a paper?
Original post by J1mmy

It came from their prospectus :P Yes, it's generally about 64:1 considering all applications, but they interview about 140 for 24 places so even then it's 7:1 or so. Pretty **** odds, given Warwick is near enough 3:1 by interview. (that said, they do give more offers than places so the odds probably aren't quite that bad)

I'm sure they're confident of the number they need to interview in order to fill their places competitively with the best candidates.

It's gone up from around 700 to 715 then 715 to 730 in the past few years I think. It's bound to go higher this year, would be surprised to see it anything less than 750 which rules me out.
Reply 1992
Original post by J1mmy

I want to apply to Kings. I didnt know the cut off was that much though :redface:
Reply 1993
Original post by MJK91
It came from their prospectus :P Yes, it's generally about 64:1 considering all applications, but they interview about 140 for 24 places so even then it's 7:1 or so. Pretty **** odds, given Warwick is near enough 3:1 by interview. (that said, they do give more offers than places so the odds probably aren't quite that bad)

I'm sure they're confident of the number they need to interview in order to fill their places competitively with the best candidates.

It's gone up from around 700 to 715 then 715 to 730 in the past few years I think. It's bound to go higher this year, would be surprised to see it anything less than 750 which rules me out.

Original post by J1mmy

OMG are you being serious 750 is a ridiculous number to have as a cut of point. Kings and Imperial are my dream uni ffs. I think I can get 700 but not sure about anything higher. So annoyed:angry:
Original post by mintea
Hi,

I received a letter from the ukcat consortium regarding a change in my ukcat score. I originally scored 750. But after a change the ukcat have made in my decision analysis score, it's changed from 900 to 890. This moves my average down to 747.5. I thought Id give you guys the heads up about this change. They have explained that an anomaly was found in the routine analysis of my score and hence a small number of questions were not accurately weighted.

As you can imagine I was actually shaking when reading the letter and thought my score of 750 will change dramatically, but it's only been changed by 3.5 points, and I'm still proud of my score as I worked extremely hard for it.

Am I the only one who received this letter?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Did they explain what kind of anomaly was spotted?
Original post by AhmedDavid
OMG are you being serious 750 is a ridiculous number to have as a cut of point. Kings and Imperial are my dream uni ffs. I think I can get 700 but not sure about anything higher. So annoyed:angry:

This is for graduate-entry, I don't know about undergraduate, but for GEM it will certainly be at least 730 and probably higher.

Imperial GEM is 640 on each section, and given that most people aren't getting that in VR it may stay roughly similar.
Original post by mynameisntbobk
Did they explain what kind of anomaly was spotted?

I'm hoping they'll do something about DA this year. In 2009 they excluded AR because it was unreliable, so I'm hoping they'll do it again this year. It's producing ridiculous scores.
Reply 1997
Original post by MJK91
This is for graduate-entry, I don't know about undergraduate, but for GEM it will certainly be at least 730 and probably higher.

Imperial GEM is 640 on each section, and given that most people aren't getting that in VR it may stay roughly similar.

Oh good I need to check what it is for undergraduate entry because I was thinking 660 would do the trick
Reply 1998
Original post by AhmedDavid
OMG are you being serious 750 is a ridiculous number to have as a cut of point.

I agree, I think 750 would be drastic given the new changes this year in the UKCAT, even 740 is very competitive. They they keep this up, it'll get closer to 800, and I don't see the UKCAT getting any easier.

I think many of the scores we've seen here (despite the DA scores) still average around 680-730 or so (according to your table). But remember, you table is a combination of both under/graduate applicants? So I assume the UKCAT cut off is lower for undergrads.
I'm currently working through the '600 UKCAT Practice Questions' and often struggle with finding the pattern in each set, I was wondering if there a certain process of things that you look for when trying to spot the pattern that is successful?

Latest

Trending

Trending