The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by J1mmy
I've been using medify for a few weeks, but have realised something critical - you can't redo the questions again once you've completed them once. I've already finished all the VR questions and they won't reset my account to I can try them again which I'm not happy about.

Otherwise it useful to practice with. And for the reason above it would find to buy like 2-3 weks as anything longer and you'll finish all the questions.

Also, one other question for everyone. I spoke to someone today who took the UKCAT 2 years ago, and I think he went on one of these Kaplan courses. He said the instructor for the course said that they calculate an average for the centre and grade you relative to that average so your grade can rise or fall depending on how well the others did. Has anyone heard anything similar?

On medify, there is an option to see 'your past test questions' so you can see all the questions you completed and even do them again. But the problem is it's not in the best format because the questions are listed in the order you did them, not by subsection. Also you'll have to answer the questions in your head or on paper AND without timing, because they just let you see the question and then the answer you put before.
Original post by Ama2007
I am still on QR, will start VR on Monday, hopefully!

EDIT: Why the neg? Just interested...

This is my 3rd time doing the ukcat...and im still doing crap!! What a shame lol. And i cant neg im using the iphone app maybe someone negged you by mistake?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Guys I am thinking of booking my UKCAT for 27th August. Is this an okay date, or would you recommend I do it earlier?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kitnimohabbathai
Some quick questions guys:

1) Everyone seems to be mentioning Kaplan and medify but what about 'ace medicine' courses? are they worth it?
2) I booked my UKCAT on the 29th of August...is it ok to book the Kaplan course for the 3rd and 4th of August? Also if anyone has done these courses did you benefit from them?
3) I have the Kaplan and 600 ukcat book but they aren't updated for the 2013 format...should I still use them to start preparing with?
4) Any recommendations on how to prepare for the UKCAT? just doing practise questions?
5) Also in the new format the DA has the confidence ratings...as these are not taken into account can you just select a random response...like 5 for everything? does it matter?
6) Finally where can we find the best resources for the 2013 format?

Best resource for the 2013 exam at the moment are on ukcathelp.org they have thousands of free questions and loads of free SJT questions as well. Its new as well so more uptodate ,so probably the best one I would recommend rather than paying for a similar but older resource.
Reply 384
I scored badly last year in the VR section, and I mean badly...well below 600. So I cannot afford to do the same this year. last year I ran out of time, guessed the MAJORITY of question, I dont think I had a strategy. Plus the biggest mistake was I did most of my practice questions untimed because I was still not confident to doing timed VR.

How many un-timed VR questions should you do before moving on to timed? I planning to do half of the VR in 600Q book un-timed then timed in getintomedicine website....but I dont want to risk doing the same last year. My exam is in July.

What strategy do most people use for the VR section? I prefer reading the Qs first then looking for the answer in the passage. I know others may read the passage first then VR, I actually used to do that but it took me longer so I decided to read Qs first...any suggestions?
Original post by Aspiring Medic 7
Guys I am thinking of booking my UKCAT for 27th August. Is this an okay date, or would you recommend I do it earlier?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well it's completely up to you really, not something someone else can help you with. Just as long as you've got a solid 3-4 weeks before hand that you can dedicate to it, fit it around any holidays/work exp. My recommendation would be to get it done early (AKA before Sept) because a ) it's cheaper and b ) you'll have time to think about which unis would be best to apply to in terms of your score. Just book it whenever you would feel comfortable doing it and remember that if you don't feel ready you can always reschedule!
Reply 387
Hi guys

When you start preparing for your UKCAT and what score did you get?

I was going to start this week (the test is 17th July), but my school decided to put the EPQ deadline forward to 1st July so I feel like I won't get enough revision in.

Do you think that I should be worried and move it? I've heard some people say starting 2-3 weeks before is good as you don't want to peak too early.

Reply 388
I have booked my UKCAT for 22nd July and have bought the 600 questions book. I am planning to do that then do the mocks on the UKCAT website.
Are there any websites I can do mock tests on??
Also, is my revison plan enough?
If not, can anybody tell m what they did and recommend any materials for me?
Thank you, I am really starting to panic:confused::confused: over it
Reply 389
Original post by mli26
I have booked my UKCAT for 22nd July and have bought the 600 questions book. I am planning to do that then do the mocks on the UKCAT website.
Are there any websites I can do mock tests on??
Also, is my revison plan enough?
If not, can anybody tell m what they did and recommend any materials for me?
Thank you, I am really starting to panic:confused::confused: over it

Oh, you booked yours quite early :3 good luck, yeah I'm gonna do the same as you, there's not really much you can do anyway, I have that same book and I know several ppl who have bought that same book I don't think there's many revision materials out there for it idk tbh, don't panic, just do the q till you're getting most of them right, the questions they'll give will follow the same format anyway so once you become familiar with the type of q they can ask you there's not much else left :smile: good luck again~
Original post by kimsiclez
Well it's completely up to you really, not something someone else can help you with. Just as long as you've got a solid 3-4 weeks before hand that you can dedicate to it, fit it around any holidays/work exp. My recommendation would be to get it done early (AKA before Sept) because a ) it's cheaper and b ) you'll have time to think about which unis would be best to apply to in terms of your score. Just book it whenever you would feel comfortable doing it and remember that if you don't feel ready you can always reschedule!

Thank you! I should have a good amount of time to practice for it and everything. Just a random question- what is the UKCAT for Dummies book like?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Some quick questions guys:

1) Everyone seems to be mentioning Kaplan and medify but what about 'ace medicine' courses? are they worth it?

Imo, you can adequately prepare for the test by just using free online resources (get into medicine, UKCAT help, Medify's free section etc.) and the 600Q book. I used most of that last year and got 710, but you'd be better off asking someone else about paid courses.

2) I booked my UKCAT on the 29th of August...is it ok to book the Kaplan course for the 3rd and 4th of August? Also if anyone has done these courses did you benefit from them?

I'd start preparing for the UKCAT about 3-4 weeks before, so that could be a good way to start. Like I say though, I've never done a paid course, so you'll have to ask someone else

3) I have the Kaplan and 600 ukcat book but they aren't updated for the 2013 format...should I still use them to start preparing with?

Yes- don't waste them. 600Q's still good for VR, QR & DA, so use it like any other resource. You can also use it for learning the basics of AR, but because of the changes you might want to use this, and then move onto som more up to date material.

4) Any recommendations on how to prepare for the UKCAT? just doing practise questions?

I would start about 3-4 weeks before your test by doing untimed questions to get used to the format. Then gradually start timing, giving yourself extra, and work down to the time you'll have in the real thing.

5) Also in the new format the DA has the confidence ratings...as these are not taken into account can you just select a random response...like 5 for everything? does it matter?

Pretty much, yeah. They won't affect your score as they're only being trialled this year.

6) Finally where can we find the best resources for the 2013 format?

The best free stuff I've heard of is ukcathelp.org, but I think that Medify and Kaplan are bringing out paid and up to date resources. Hope this helps, and good luck :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Aspiring Medic 7
Thank you! I should have a good amount of time to practice for it and everything. Just a random question- what is the UKCAT for Dummies book like?

I bought it, and would recommend it.
Original post by Ingenting
Imo, you can adequately prepare for the test by just using free online resources (get into medicine, UKCAT help, Medify's free section etc.) and the 600Q book. I used most of that last year and got 710, but you'd be better off asking someone else about paid courses.

I'd start preparing for the UKCAT about 3-4 weeks before, so that could be a good way to start. Like I say though, I've never done a paid course, so you'll have to ask someone else

Yes- don't waste them. 600Q's still good for VR, QR & DA, so use it like any other resource. You can also use it for learning the basics of AR, but because of the changes you might want to use this, and then move onto som more up to date material.

I would start about 3-4 weeks before your test by doing untimed questions to get used to the format. Then gradually start timing, giving yourself extra, and work down to the time you'll have in the real thing.

Pretty much, yeah. They won't affect your score as they're only being trialled this year.

The best free stuff I've heard of is ukcathelp.org, but I think that Medify and Kaplan are bringing out paid and up to date resources. Hope this helps, and good luck :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

yeah thanks :smile: do you think its common to apply to just ukcat unis depending on the score? where did you apply?
yeah thanks :smile: do you think its common to apply to just ukcat unis depending on the score? where did you apply?

Yeah, but bear in mind that different unis use the score differently- some only use it to separate between equal candidates, while it's a major component at others (eg Newcastle). So depending on how well you do you can apply to the unis where you'll have the best chance, or just to ones that don't use an admissions test (Bristol, Liverpool and Birmingham).

I applied to Newcastle, Leeds, Keele and HYMS, and my UKCAT score was enough to get interviews at both HYMS and Newcastle. I also applied the year before, with a score of 687.5, to Newcastle, Leeds, Nottingham and Sheffield, and got interviews at Newcastle and Sheffield. It's worth saying though that my 2012 score wouldn't have been enough for an interview at Newcastle this year, so you'll need a seriously high score if you're thinking of applying there, unless they change their admissions policy.
Reply 395
Hello everybody,I registered recently for my UKCAT and wanted to subscribe to medify.Would you recommend it.I tried the VR subset but when I clicked review,it was not coming up with whether my answer was correct or not.Would like if you have any contact for medify .I have checked their website.Any useful information would be appreciated.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 396
On ukcathelp.org, where are the answers becuase i am doing the practice questions and when i got to the review page i dont see the answers
Reply 398

... Wow. Someone with way too much money to waste. :lolwut:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by suncake
... Wow. Someone with way too much money to waste. :lolwut:

Posted from TSR Mobile

More money than sense, I thought the 600Q book was expensive :P

Latest

Trending

Trending