The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Shaimaa95
I'm also using emedica, someone use it last year as their only resource and got a score of about 765, I'm hoping that I get a score like that with it!

the only downside is that the. QR doesn't have a calculator.....

can you do memory recall on the calculator in ukcat, how do you do it??

You can't do memory recall to my knowledge. There were memory buttons on the calculator though so I don't know why! Google images shows you what the 2013 ukcat calculator looks like.
There is memory recall. It's the button labelled MRC, which is annoying because if you press it twice it clears the memory instead.
Reply 4262
Original post by MJK91
You can't do memory recall to my knowledge. There were memory buttons on the calculator though so I don't know why! Google images shows you what the 2013 ukcat calculator looks like.

If you try the official online practise tests, it uses the exact same calculator app so you can play around with it. There are some keyboard shortcuts as well which aren't mentioned - Ctrl-P for M+, Ctrl-M for M- and Ctrl-R for MR.

When it came to the test I found the memory functions too cumbersome and wrote numbers down on the whiteboard instead...
Reply 4263
Original post by RoryTinker
Right boys and girls
I archived 4 A's , a Ukcat score of 730 and 6 A* and 6A at gcse where would this profile give me a good chance of success.

Well done!! academically i think you would have a good chance getting in but medicine generally depends on lots of other things as well. If you have some good work experience, etc then I think you will have a decent change. Also depends on universities as to how they value different qualifications, experience, entrance exams, etc. Hope this helps and once again well doen on your results :smile:
Reply 4264
Does anyone know how Nottingham uses the UKCAT??
VERBAL REASONING

I have no idea how to go on with this section!
1) do i read to passage first then answer the questions
2) do i read the questions and try and pick out relevant information?

I know it is 30 seconds per item, but where would reading the passage come into this?

I am totally flabbergasted !
Original post by xJess45x

I think they do :smile:

It is in the wiki but I think it is 45% of their scoring system for interview.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by RoryTinker
Right boys and girls
I archived 4 A's , a Ukcat score of 730 and 6 A* and 6A at gcse where would this profile give me a good chance of success.

Hey there, this page might be able to help :smile: and congrats on your grades and score there mate !

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/:Applying_to_Medical_School_using_your_Strengths
Reply 4269
I sat my test yesterday and here are my thoughts.

VR - the new format questions made up around half of my questions.
QR - much easier than the 600Q book and official tests. Similar to the short practice test and the Kaplan score higher book + online mock. The questions on Medify varied a lot in dfficulty but this was not the case in the real test.
AR - Similar to official mocks, Kaplan and Medify, but easier than 600q book.
DA - same as most practice materials and the codes were not that long as I had expected.
SJT - I probably only answered half the questions correctly and I got a Band 2.

I got an average score of 680 - better than any score I had got in all the different mocks that I tried.
Original post by Shaimaa95
I'm also using emedica, someone use it last year as their only resource and got a score of about 765, I'm hoping that I get a score like that with it!

the only downside is that the. QR doesn't have a calculator.....

can you do memory recall on the calculator in ukcat, how do you do it??

yeah QR doesn't have a calculator on emedica but you can practise using the microsoft calculator on the untimed practise

Original post by amandaliu816
I think they do :smile:

she asked how do they use it, not whether they used it or not.
Hi guys. Do people know whether the scoring problems with DA are over? I got a high score in it and still expecting the dreaded letter to come through the post :colondollar:
Reply 4272
Original post by GCSE-help
Hi guys. Do people know whether the scoring problems with DA are over? I got a high score in it and still expecting the dreaded letter to come through the post :colondollar:

No I think they sorted the problem, it was mainly the candidates who sat the UKCAT in the first two weeks or so of testing (myself included) that an anomaly was found in the DA of certain sitters. I'm guessing you took yours pretty recently, in which case I'm sure they've dealt with the issue already.

Yes. It is 48% of their selection process.
Hello,

I am currently using Emedica and finding it much easier than Kaplan and Medify especially for the QR. For anyone whos done the test is the actual test difficulty similar to Emedica ?
thanks
Could anyone whos done the test write down what they got in each of the mocks available (Kaplan, 600Q, official ones) and then what they got in the actual test. I think it would really put a lot of us (myself included) at ease
Original post by RadioheadAnton
Could anyone whos done the test write down what they got in each of the mocks available (Kaplan, 600Q, official ones) and then what they got in the actual test. I think it would really put a lot of us (myself included) at ease

Kaplan - I got 750 ish?
Official ones - 65% ish
Medify - 72, 69, 70% (easy, medium, hard) (excluding SJT, it was more like around 82%)

Actual - 832.5 Band 2
Reply 4277
Does anyone know the pattern in the following questions of abstract reasoning on http://www.scribd.com/doc/57993809/Ukcat-Practice-Test Q11-15 ... Q16-20 and Q21-25? :frown:(((((
My test is tomorrow and I just did the second official UKCAT test and it went really badly! (the first official practice went okay apart from QR!)

What did people get in the official mocks and then what did you get in the real thing?
:smile:
Original post by g.k.galloway
My test is tomorrow and I just did the second official UKCAT test and it went really badly! (the first official practice went okay apart from QR!)

What did people get in the official mocks and then what did you get in the real thing?
:smile:

Don't be disheartened by a 'poor' performance in any of the official mocks. The qr especially is incredibly easier in the real thing. As your test is tomorrow, master the percentage change! That is key. Remember to skip all the hard questions without even looking twice at them.

As for your question, I did better in everything apart from VR in the real thing. VR is the killer, i'd advise you to read the short passages you are going to get tomorrow, and skim for key words when the long passages appear.

All the best. Remain calm and you'll smash it :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending