The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lilei_xu
you did much better than I did in my 600q mock! Though, the QR section was ridiculously hard :frown: ca I ask, is this the first mock you've done so far?

Yeah. That was my first mock. I am now practising through medify and yet to do the official mock.
Original post by PoorLoser
guys, I need advise, I'm doing my personal statement now and I haven't properly even done my UKCAT practice. I've made the account I just don't know when to book my test for. Shall I do it for the end of september/beginning of October? I heard you should do it early but I'm not sure why.

I have booked mine for 20th Sept. I'd say do it in September, so you can properly decide what unis you want to apply to dependant on your UKCAT score. Applying in october, will just make you panic, because you have to apply by 15th oct.
Original post by lornzicles
Hi everyone! I just did my UKCAT and I got:

VR: 660
QR: 690
AR: 840
DA: 840
SJ: Band 1
= average 758

I'm so happy! I found VR reeeally hard though, I got 1 true/false question so it took me ages to read through all the choices, I had to guess a fair few because I was running out of time.
In terms of prep, I used 600Qs, how to pass the ukcat, how to master the ukcat and the emedica website. Good look to everyone! :smile:

Well done you. How easy/difficult would you say the real test is compared to the practises/600q/mocks etc.
QR is my weak point. Can you give me some tips on how I can improve.
Reply 5983
Capture.PNG

could someone please explain this to me?

I thought if he got on the bus at 3.40 and the journey was 50 minutes, he'd still be there at half 4??!?!?! :colondollar:
Reply 5984
Got exam on Friday, how much earlier should I get there before my exam, its at 14:30 so should i aim to get there by 14:00 because i'm not sure what they even check. Do I only need to bring my passport and thats it?
I don't know if I'm just being really dopey, but to get your scores after the official mock on the website, how do you convert raw marks into the scaled mark? So I got 34/44 for VR, what's the most accurate calculation to get a mark out of 900?
Is it your % X 600 + 300 or what? I keep seeing different ways :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Tips for DA please? Does everyone write down the coded message on the whiteboard then compare to options?
Original post by DannyBaker
So I did mine last week and got VR: 530 QR: 730 AR: 760 DA: 900.... this averages at 730 and seen as I used this a lot for advice im willing to give some to anyone who wants it (within reason)

Well done on DA score, how did you go about doing it? Did you decode the message on white board then compare options? Was there any words in the table you didn't know the meaning of? How was your timing in this section?
Original post by walkers38
Well done you. How easy/difficult would you say the real test is compared to the practises/600q/mocks etc.
QR is my weak point. Can you give me some tips on how I can improve.

I found AR a lot easier than any of the mocks, QR and DA were about the same, and VR was harder.
QR was my weakest too - I used the BBC bitesize website to recap on calculating percentage change and other topics I haven't looked at since GCSE, which made me a lot faster. I'd also recommend doing a test using an online calculator, since the one in the exam is quite tricky to use - it might also be quicker to do simple calculations in your head. Just practise, practise, practise and you'll be fine!
Reply 5989
Do you guys know if unis care more about our score in each section rather than average? I got 720 average, but a 510 in VR :/
Reply 5990
Original post by SM74
Do you guys know if unis care more about our score in each section rather than average? I got 720 average, but a 510 in VR :/

I got 550 in VR and a score of 740. The Scottish Uni's only look at overall/average score, some English uni's make a sub score cut off. Not sure about Welsh/Irish uni's.
Reply 5991
Anybody have any advice for what to do when you have exhausted all of the medify abstract questions but still got less than 50% on the abstract section of the Mock 2 UKCAT on the official website?
Reply 5992
Hey, just wondering if anyone has used the 'Score Higher in The UKCAT book' by Kaplan? Just wondering about people's views on it?
Original post by Esta16
Anybody have any advice for what to do when you have exhausted all of the medify abstract questions but still got less than 50% on the abstract section of the Mock 2 UKCAT on the official website?

Do not worry. The mocks on the official website are a lot harder imo than the real thing. I remember taking the mocks the day before my exam and panicking as I found it very difficult but thankfully the actual test was much easier.
Reply 5994
Original post by SM74

http://www.ukcat.ac.uk/App_Media/uploads/pdf/How%20is%20the%20UKCAT%20used.pdf

This is the link from the UKCAT website which lists the stances of all the universities that take the UKCAT into account. Hope it helps!
Original post by jemimii
Hey, just wondering if anyone has used the 'Score Higher in The UKCAT book' by Kaplan? Just wondering about people's views on it?

I used it but I'm not sure about it tbh. They offer some good tips but you're going to run out of questions to do very quickly. Their mock I got 590 on. Then I got medify did some practice, then got 715 on the easy mock. Not sure if there's a trend there but on the whole, the only useful thing about the book is their tips. (Not nearly enough practice q's)
Reply 5996
Original post by Dandaman9999
ahh thanks! So say if the volume was 25m^3 and the rate the give is 1 litre per minute, would it just be 25 mins? Or have I got this completely wrong? :/
And for percentages I think I understand, that's one of my stronger points :P

nono,

100cm = 1m
to convert to cm^2 you need to square everything, so
10000cm^2 = 1m^2
to conver to cubed, you need to times everything by itsef again so
(100x100x100) cm^3 = 1 x 1 x 1 m^3
so 1000000 cm^3 = 1m^3

In that case i would convert the dimensions to cm first instead of working out a volume in m^3
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5997
Original post by ElixirOfLife.
I used it but I'm not sure about it tbh. They offer some good tips but you're going to run out of questions to do very quickly. Their mock I got 590 on. Then I got medify did some practice, then got 715 on the easy mock. Not sure if there's a trend there but on the whole, the only useful thing about the book is their tips. (Not nearly enough practice q's)

Ah okay, I think I'll use the 600 Q book that I used last year and get medify for 1 month :biggrin: thanks for the help!
I just did mine. Quite disappointed, but I'll make the cut for most unis.

VR: 550 (damn u!)
QR: 650
AR: 620 (was hoping for better)
DA: 880
SJT: band 1

Average: 675. Oh well, no more Nottingham and Kings

feel free to ask any questions, although they arent great
Reply 5999
Just got my results after sitting it last thurs!
VR: 570
QR: 640
AR: 620
DA: 880
SJT: Band 2
Avg: 677.5

Any tips on where to apply? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending