The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 7980
Original post by the A* guy
To those that have done their ukcat...

Is it true that at the test centre the computers are touch screen?

Yes they are
Original post by gary96
Yes they are

Not all. Mine certainly wasn't but I personally would use a mouse anyway just because it is what I am used to
Original post by Mehhhh
Tbh, I found the ukcathelp.org website really annoying to use, not just because of the poor layout of some of the questions but many of their answers are incorrect. I'd stick to medify if I were you! :smile:

I can PM you my ukcathelp.org login if you want though.

Thanks :frown: I don't see a point anymore lol. My exam is at 2:30 pm today!! and I'll just stick to medify..

Have you done your test yet? If so, how did medify compare to it?

....and if not (awkward), how are you doing in your medify mocks anyway??
My test is tomorrow!!! At 2:30 pm, cause I can't be bothered to wake up early..:colonhash:

I'm a reapplicant and my ukcat last year was quite hard (QR), even my VR was better! It seems though that this year VR has massively increased in difficulty. I hope QR is as manageable as everyone says as even though I finish before time, I'm having to skip about half of the questions...

Will post results when finished.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7984
Original post by SuziieB
My test is tomorrow!!! At 2:30 pm, cause I can't be bothered to wake up early..:colonhash:

I'm a reapplicant and my ukcat last year was quite hard (QR), even my VR was better! It seems though that this year VR has massively increased in difficulty. I hope QR is as manageable as everyone says as even though I finish before time, I'm having to skip about half of the questions...

Will post results when finished.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Best of luck :tongue: It's cool to be nervous, every is, but as tons of people have already posted, QR has been pretty good on the day!
Reply 7985
Hey guys, I sat my UKCAT two days ago, and I thought it was useful to see people's profile so I'll post mine:

VR - 730
QR - 820
AR - 800
DA - 880
SJT - Band 2 (Always had been my weakest section, so very happy about this)
Average: 807.5

I was completely not expecting this score so I was pretty ecstatic if I'm honest.
In the mocks I did I got something like these:

UKCAT official 1 - 572.5 (then I did it again and got 672.5)
UKCAT official 2 - 700

Kaplan Online - 782.5

Medify Easy - 752.5
Medify Med - 745
Medify Hard - 685

600Q - 752.75 (I didn't do this one properly, overran by almost 10 minutes for the QR section as I knew I wouldn't be able to finish it and so concentrated on getting the right method, the other sections I stuck mainly to the time however)

Resources used: 600Q, Score higher in UKCAT, went on Kaplan course and used their online resources, Medify, eMedica

I personally thought the exam was harder than I expected, I expected something around the difficulty level of the Kaplan online mock but I'd say its more similar to the 2nd official mock and Medify Medium/Hard. I still don't know how I got that score but I think luck had a big part to play.

Advice: Probably to make sure you space out your practice, I had been prepping for on and off a month but I tried to make sure I wouldn't run out by test day, so made sure I did a little each day (ie, one mock test or set of exercises each day). If you have your exam soon I'd say that making sure you can use the keyboard shortcuts to move through questions is important, it saves a lot of time!. Also, the computer I had was touchscreen(something I didn't realise until after the exam was finished), so you could use this to click on the answer choices, without having to waste time faffing after a mouse.

VR: I'm a quick reader so for the reading comprehension questions I would skim read the passage initially, read the question, then the passage again if I needed to. The initial reading helped to get the gist of the passage and where information was. Also, some questions are going to be easier than others so if they were taking me time I would try and guess, flag and move on. The T/F/CT questions were a case of picking out key words and trying to find them in the passage mainly, but I guess its whatever works for you

QR: The calculator for me was a real pain, I couldn't use it nearly as well as I had been in the mocks so I had to really rely on mental maths, which is why you should probably leave the calculator alone as far as possible when prepping.

AR: I thought this was harder than expected, as I thought the difficulty level would be less, due to what others have said, but you mainly use the same rules as normal, CATPENIS, etc., and I wrote out a whole bunch of different question probabilities on a piece of paper when prepping so that helped me, as it gets you thinking about all the types that come up. Also, as well as the tips given in 600q and medify, I noted down solutions to any new patterns I came across during practice.

DA: I found that writing out the codes short hand worked best for me, and there's loads of other good advice on this thread so use it!

Sorry if I have gone a bit overboard but it was probably best to be thorough, good luck to anyone yet to sit it and congrats to those who have!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7986
Original post by SuziieB
Thanks :frown: I don't see a point anymore lol. My exam is at 2:30 pm today!! and I'll just stick to medify..

Have you done your test yet? If so, how did medify compare to it?

....and if not (awkward), how are you doing in your medify mocks anyway??

Yep, I've done my test. I have detailed in the post below all of my medify/official mock scores (including subscores :biggrin:): http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2338356&page=313&x=0&y=0 (my post - half way down)
Reply 7987
Original post by BAZ1NGA
Hey guys, I sat my UKCAT two days ago, and I thought it was useful to see people's profile so I'll post mine:

VR - 730
QR - 820
AR - 800
DA - 880
SJT - Band 2 (Always had been my weakest section, so very happy about this)
Average: 807.5

VR: I'm a quick reader so for the reading comprehension questions I would skim read the passage initially, read the question, then the passage again if I needed to. The initial reading helped to get the gist of the passage and where information was. Also, some questions are going to be easier than others so if they were taking me time I would try and guess, flag and move on. The T/F/CT questions were a case of picking out key words and trying to find them in the passage mainly, but I guess its whatever works for you

QR: The calculator for me was a real pain, I couldn't use it nearly as well as I had been in the mocks so I had to really rely on mental maths, which is why you should probably leave the calculator alone as far as possible when prepping.

AR: I thought this was harder than expected, as I thought the difficulty level would be less, due to what others have said, but you mainly use the same rules as normal, CATPENIS, etc., and I wrote out a whole bunch of different question probabilities on a piece of paper, so that helped me. Practice kinda helps to see patterns though.

Well done!

I just want to know, with the calculator, what exactly was difficult to use with it? My test is in a week, so don't think I have enough time to brush up on my mental maths! I've always been practicing using the PC calculator so I'm quite familiar with using the number pad etc.

Also, did you manage to finish the VR section completely? How long would you say one should spend skimming the passage initially?
Hi guys,

I have my UKCAT tomorrow at 8:15am. Any advice for VB and QR in particular. For verbal reasoning especially?
Reply 7989
Heya, and cheers, I didn't expect it myself.

By the calculator, it was quite laggy, and the buttons really need to be pressed, probably not the worst thing in the world. But I only discovered it in the exam so it stressed me out.
With the VR, I completed it, but I had guessed a few questions that took time/wasn't sure on, and came back to them later, hope that helps!
Original post by BAZ1NGA

By the calculator, it was quite laggy, and the buttons really need to be pressed, probably not the worst thing in the world. But I only discovered it in the exam so it stressed me out.
With the VR, I completed it, but I had guessed a few questions that took time/wasn't sure on, and came back to them later, hope that helps!

What method did you employ for VR?
Original post by scarlotbridge
What method did you employ for VR?

He said he scanned the passage quickly, read the question and came to the passage again if needed.
Reply 7992
Hey guys, I'm pretty awful at AR, the 600Q book is the one I'm finding difficult. Just wondering do you guys have any tips? Also, I know the QR in the book is ridiculous but just how much easier is it in the real thing? I don't have my exam for three weeks :ahee:
Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7993
Original post by BAZ1NGA

You mean the buttons on the keyboard?

For the AR were there mostly 1 rule sets, or 2+ rule sets?

I'm not very good at AR, and CATSPENIS, I think, is too much to scan through within 15-20 seconds. I would probably prefer to stick with SCAN presuming there aren't any over complex sets.
Reply 7994
Yeah. They were fairly sticky. But that may just have been my keyboard, I would seriously recommend trying to get quick with the maths though, and making sure you can do all the basic maths required, quickly. And also, if you aren't getting anywhere with a question after 20 or so seconds, it's probably best to guess and move on, instead of wasting time. Also it's useful to note things down, but it's a faff to move from pen to mouse, that's why I think using the touchscreen may be quicker for this section, though I didn't use it (didn't know) and I suppose it'll be difficult to practise.
For AR I honestly can't remember exactly, but I ended up guessing quite a few sets because I didn't get them, and then having to come back later. I used scan myself, but I usually ended up just recognizing patterns, and only resorted to scan after that. It's probably best to make sure you can understand any sets you come across when you're prepping, that way you'll get an idea of what sorts of pattern usually come up.

sorry I can't be of more help
Has anyone done the QR in medify and also done the actual exam? Are they quite similar? Im finding the QR in medify quite ridiculous sometimes with a lot of information that is difficult to comprehend and requires a good few minutes (ofcourse if that comes up in the actual one, i will flag and move on)
Reply 7996
:0 quantitative reasoning in the official mock 1 is soooo hard!?..
How does the AR in the real thing compare to the official mock and medify? I'm good at the medify ones but awful at the ones on the official mock.
Original post by SusieShire
How does the AR in the real thing compare to the official mock and medify? I'm good at the medify ones but awful at the ones on the official mock.

I'd say that they are more like Medify and official mock 1!
Hey i just got 52.6% on the normal medify mock.

Don't really know what to make of it? Hows does it compare to everyone elses?

Latest

Trending

Trending