The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Just did the 600Q mock and got:
QR: 800
AR: 709
VR: 697
DA: 761

Average 741.75

I know their method isn't as accurate or anything but I'm quite surprised. I'm not surprised I did the worst in VR, but I expected my QR to be much lower. Also, only managed to do DA in the allocated time, AR I wasn't top stretched, maybe 5 minutes extra. QR was so bad with time, at least an hour and a half on it :s-smilie: VR wasn't too long either, maybe 10 minutes extra.

With my test in less than 2 weeks, I'll use my Kaplan resources solely in aim to speed everything up.

Just wanted to say well done to all the great scores so far and thanks to everyone who's given such great advice. Good luck to everyone who has yet to take it!!
Original post by mli26
That's a good idea, have you got any advice for the other sections?:smile:

Just don't panic if you find you're not finishing all the questions. And guess anything you're not sure of before moving on to the next question, because you might not have time to come back and have another go at the end and it's better to guess than not put anything at all! I guessed a remarkable amount of the AR questions, so I must have been lucky and got some of them right.
Original post by MJK91
I know, it's just scary as I'm relying on it for interviews really :P I'm scared of wasting say 3 places for Kings, Newcastle and Barts if they drastically raise the cut-off to say 700 in each section or something daft like that! I think I'd still be okay for the others as they don't usually raise cut-offs that much.

I'm hoping my consistency (all >640) and my Band 1 in the SJT will keep me in it, as well as the 740 average?

740 is a fantastic average, and 640 would be a relatively high cut-off for an average, let alone for each section. I think a cut-off of 700 in each section would be excessively high, cos most people score lower than that for their average (I know it doesn't seem like it so far this year, but I'm sure it will be!). There will be plenty of excellent candidates who don't get scores like that, and I don't think that universities will want to exclude them just because they haven't got remarkable scores on the UKCAT. After all, universities want to select the best students, and the UKCAT is not the only tool they'll be using to do that.

Where are you thinking of applying?
Hey everyone can someone who's done the test already give like a straight up honest opinion on how hard the abstract reasoning was like are there loads of mixing relationships involving different objects in the sets or is it mostly simple relationships like number and type and angles and colour occurrence etc
thanks a lot :smile:
Original post by woodpecker
740 is a fantastic average, and 640 would be a relatively high cut-off for an average, let alone for each section. I think a cut-off of 700 in each section would be excessively high, cos most people score lower than that for their average (I know it doesn't seem like it so far this year, but I'm sure it will be!). There will be plenty of excellent candidates who don't get scores like that, and I don't think that universities will want to exclude them just because they haven't got remarkable scores on the UKCAT. After all, universities want to select the best students, and the UKCAT is not the only tool they'll be using to do that.

Where are you thinking of applying?

Ahh, you're an undergraduate? I'm applying for graduate entry and the cutoffs are much higher each year (approx 680-730) and that was when most undergraduates were getting places with 620s :tongue:

Warwick, Barts, Newcastle and King's I think :smile: how about you?
Reply 1185
Original post by mynameisntbobk

Average 741.75

I know their method isn't as accurate or anything but I'm quite surprised. I'm not surprised I did the worst in VR, but I expected my QR to be much lower. Also, only managed to do DA in the allocated time, AR I wasn't top stretched, maybe 5 minutes extra. QR was so bad with time, at least an hour and a half on it :s-smilie: VR wasn't too long either, maybe 10 minutes extra.

With my test in less than 2 weeks, I'll use my Kaplan resources solely in aim to speed everything up.

Just wanted to say well done to all the great scores so far and thanks to everyone who's given such great advice. Good luck to everyone who has yet to take it!!

Did you do it under time limit? That's really good considering how hard those questions are!
Original post by MJK91
Ahh, you're an undergraduate? I'm applying for graduate entry and the cutoffs are much higher each year (approx 680-730) and that was when most undergraduates were getting places with 620s :tongue:

Warwick, Barts, Newcastle and King's I think :smile: how about you?

Oh ok, I didn't realise grad entry cut-offs were so high. I still think you'll be fine though :smile:

Sheffield, Birmingham, Cardiff and then either Bristol or Leeds, but I think after today it'll probably be Leeds, as Bristol don't use UKCAT.
Reply 1187
Original post by mynameisntbobk

Average 741.75

Sorry:P I didn't read your post properly, ignore my last question:smile:
Original post by sarahlikesgrapes
Well done thats great! Your DA score is amazing! You should be really happy, well done :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Awww thankyou! :smile: and thankyou so much for your advice and staying calm and stuff, it really helped :biggrin:
Just done the mock in 600Q book (timed)

VR 560 (half not done)
QR 600
AR 540 (anyone else found they were harder than Medify?...)
DA 600

Not looking good :frown:
Moi = very worried

I am towards the end of my revision...
Original post by Physicsrules23
Hey everyone can someone who's done the test already give like a straight up honest opinion on how hard the abstract reasoning was like are there loads of mixing relationships involving different objects in the sets or is it mostly simple relationships like number and type and angles and colour occurrence etc
thanks a lot :smile:

I found it quite hard and must have guessed at least half of the questions, but then I never really got the hang of it in practice either so... The ones I got seemed to be quite obvious, and they often seemed to have relationships between the numbers of shapes, but then there were loads I didn't get, so those relationships could have involved anything. Sorry I can't be of more help!
Original post by mli26
Sorry:P I didn't read your post properly, ignore my last question:smile:

Haha its fine, I'm horrible with QR, I waste so much time, so doing it under the limit isn't even feasible :tongue:
I thought the AR were alright, there were a few nasty ones, but in general, they weren't too bad. DA is definitely the least time pressured section and its not necessarily hard either
Original post by Ama2007

VR 560 (half not done)
QR 600
DA 600

Moi = very worried

That's about what I got when I tried that mock the other day, but I found the actual exam way easier! Don't worry, I'm sure you'll be fine :smile:
Oh ok, I didn't realise grad entry cut-offs were so high. I still think you'll be fine though :smile:

Sheffield, Birmingham, Cardiff and then either Bristol or Leeds, but I think after today it'll probably be Leeds, as Bristol don't use UKCAT.

Good choices, have you heard since last year that Sheffield don't use the UKCAT as much? Until last year you needed a great score, but then they changed it to >600 only and the rest is personal statement.

You may already know, but just checking :tongue:
Reply 1194
Original post by Ama2007

VR 560 (half not done)
QR 600
DA 600

Moi = very worried

DW, I just did it and I got:frown:
VR 540
QR 590
AR 550

I find medify a lot easier than 600:frown:
Original post by Becca_j
Hey :smile: thanks thats reassuring cos I have been guessing loads of the practice questions for VR and QR, especially on QR. And no I am doing it on friday! :s-smilie:

Friday!! best of luck to you! :biggrin: Tell us how you get on :biggrin:
Can Someone tell me how to tackle the DA part of the test, I have Just started revision as my test is in late september. How to use the fact that there are commas between numbers and letters, for numbers and letters are but together; and when brackets are used??

All and Any help is appreciated ! :smile:
Original post by MJK91
Good choices, have you heard since last year that Sheffield don't use the UKCAT as much? Until last year you needed a great score, but then they changed it to >600 only and the rest is personal statement.

You may already know, but just checking :tongue:

Thanks, yeah I know, except that it's gone up this year from last year to this >650 (at least that's what they said at their open day!). I'm not particularly looking for universities that put a lot of weight on the UKCAT, it's just that I really can't decide between Leeds and Bristol for my fourth choice, but it would seem silly not to use my UKCAT score if everything else is balanced.

I think more and more universities are putting more weight on personal statements, rather than academics or UKCAT (at least for undergrad!).

What do med schools in general want for grad entry?
Original post by mli26
DW, I just did it and I got:frown:
VR 540
QR 590
AR 550

I find medify a lot easier than 600:frown:

I am bit worried because I was doing great with medify AR (so doable!!!) then I do the mock in the book and I get such a rubbish score. Oh well only few days and it will be over!!! and HOPEFULLY I will never have to sit this stupid test again!

When is your exam?
(edited 10 years ago)
Thanks, yeah I know, except that it's gone up this year from last year to this >650 (at least that's what they said at their open day!). I'm not particularly looking for universities that put a lot of weight on the UKCAT, it's just that I really can't decide between Leeds and Bristol for my fourth choice, but it would seem silly not to use my UKCAT score if everything else is balanced.

I think more and more universities are putting more weight on personal statements, rather than academics or UKCAT (at least for undergrad!).

What do med schools in general want for grad entry?

The same really, good grades at university (2:1 or better), lots of experience that you've learnt from and a good entry score for most places (but not all!). The problem is there's less places and just as many applicants so they have to cut them down somehow and that's normally through the UKCAT :frown:

Latest

Trending

Trending