The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1580
Original post by mli26
How do you know that they want 2700+?

They said at the open day that usually anyone who has good GCSE/ AS level grades and gets above 2700 in UKCAT is pretty much guaranteed an interview. By good GCSE I mean 4+ A* and a couple of As at AS
Reply 1581
Original post by GCSE-help
I'm doing mine in about 3 weeks. Everyone says the VR is very difficult this year. Seeing as you've done it, and seen how tough it is, what technique would you suggest? Reading the question first or the passage.

I started off by reading all of the text first then answering the questions but by the end I was reading the questions and just scanning the text for the answers, just due to the time limit and length of the paragraphs. I'm not sure I'm the best person to ask for advice though.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by mli26
Just did it, got
VR:540
QR:660
AR:740
DA:810
688 average, not great. Should I apply to ukcat unis? I want to apply to Barts and Leicester, is it good enough?

Can you please tell us some of the questions u had that u remember please
abstract , quantitat , verbal topic titles !!
Original post by AAA_
What is the best site to subscribe with for ukcat questions, on the basis of; amount of unique questions, and explanations.
Is it Ace Medicine?
Also what method and what information should i take/learn to prepare for the SJT section?

I didn't find ace medicine that useful at all. I just practiced with Kaplan, the ukcat book and the 2 ukcat papers.
Original post by xJess45x
I started off by reading all of the text first then answering the questions but by the end I was reading the questions and just scanning the text for the answers, just due to the time limit and length of the paragraphs. I'm not sure I'm the best person to ask for advice though.

please what ere the verbal section about what topics u remember were there
Original post by GCSE-help
I'm doing mine in about 3 weeks. Everyone says the VR is very difficult this year. Seeing as you've done it, and seen how tough it is, what technique would you suggest? Reading the question first or the passage.

I went on a Kaplan ukcat course and their advice was to read the question first because of timing issues.
Reply 1586
Original post by lahabz2012
please what ere the verbal section about what topics u remember were there

I really can't remember many. There was one about penguins, where they live, adaptations etc. That's honestly all I can remember at the moment, sorry. If I think of any more I'll get back to you though.
Original post by Iamyourfather
They've omitted a lot of the t/f/can't tell questions and have instead thrown in statements which we must decipher which is true. This makes the VR section harder as sitters now have to read the whole text to understand the questions. I would really focus on the section as it appears to be the lowest score for most applicants.

can u please tell us some questions any specific topics ?
I really can't remember many. There was one about penguins, where they live, adaptations etc. That's honestly all I can remember at the moment, sorry. If I think of any more I'll get back to you though.

thx alot what about the quant and the abstract , were there hard abstract ones ?
Reply 1589

Haha YES!! I remember that one!! It talked about different species of penguins that lived in different areas, their colour, size, etc.
Original post by Freyr
Haha YES!! I remember that one!! It talked about different species of penguins that lived in different areas, their colour, size, etc.

Any other ! bout abstract quant
Original post by medicine12
I didn't find ace medicine that useful at all. I just practiced with Kaplan, the ukcat book and the 2 ukcat papers.

Okay thanks. What about the SJT section, because i dont think the kaplan book has stuff on it?
Original post by lahabz2012
Any other ! bout abstract quant

There really isn't much point finding out questions and topics, since they have a huge bank of topics and for each topic a huge bank of questions. It is purely random what topic and questions you get!
Posted from TSR Mobile
Na ive asked its the same fr the the year entry
Is anyone going to the UKCAT course at Birkbeck on Saturday?

Anyone been before and know what to expect?
Original post by AAA_
Okay thanks. What about the SJT section, because i dont think the kaplan book has stuff on it?

i did the ukcat last year; is this a new section?
Reply 1596
Can anyone who has done the UKCAT this year suggest the best strategy to do the VR section, the new questions seem to make it really hard to read the questions first then look through the passage because there is often 4 quite long different options... Any advice or tips for doing it or improving at it would be a real help, thanks.
Original post by medicine12
i did the ukcat last year; is this a new section?

Yep, it's split into two parts, 71 items based on medical type scenarios and you have to measure the "appropriateness" or level of "importance" in the given situation.
Original post by wangokid
Yep, it's split into two parts, 71 items based on medical type scenarios and you have to measure the "appropriateness" or level of "importance" in the given situation.

Oh right sorry I'm no help in that regard but all the best of luck!
Reply 1599
I've just done a practise UKCAT test for my real test tomorrow afternoon.

I scored:

VR - 75%

QR - 52%

AR - 38%

DA - 64%

SJ - 54%

I'm just wondering how good a score these results would produce - I found the abstract reasoning a lot harder than the other practise Q's which I've done and the other questions were pretty average.

Should I be worried about these practise results or are they around average (I have no idea how it's actually scored)?

Thanks,
Mark

Latest

Trending

Trending