The Student Room Group

deaf student

hi all this is a long one. i am on an adult nursing course and when i started in 2010 i was seen my the disability team. they sent off an application for dsa i think it was but it was rejected due to the evidence not being enough. i forgot about untill now as in January my hearing became worse. I am currently suspedded pending result of resit and progression.

Anyways to give a background of hearing loss is that i have had poor hearing in left ear but some loss in right but the right is better. I could listen to music as it was close to my ear using earphones. I have a bone anchored hearing aid which helped me to hear as without it i could not hear anything other than really loud noises.. In janurary my hearing has become alot worse with my consultant saying i have an almost to dead ear in the right and so much that my baha isnt working well for me which i can only hear noises but not sure what they are.

I have been applying for dla because of this reduced hearing and also found out your hearing is based on what you can hear without hearing aids so technically i am deaf.

During uni i have coped but do sometimes struggle with lecters as i strain to hear esp when other people are talking. Some lecterers use a mic but one who doesnt starts talking loud and then goes really quet even when im sitting at the front. Even normal hearing students say the same thing. i sometimes find it hard to listen to the lecterer while making notes and copying from powerpoint. I have to copy the powerpoint sometimes due to the lecters having not put them on black board yet or they will do in a few days but forget. it is easier when i do have copy of powerpoint but it is still a struggle to hear things when i am writing. i hadnt gone back to disablity support because i didnt know what they could do. i have more evidence saying i have a dead ear and i hope the hearing aids he gives me will work for me to hear something.

i have read about dictaphones that convert speech to text. how does this work and also do you need certain operating system. is there anyother equipment i could have. i did have a notetaker in college for a bit but i dont think it will help in uni as its alot faster.
im hoping to go back in septemeber so would be useful to know what kind of help i can get
Reply 1
Original post by Sanddancerlass
i have read about dictaphones that convert speech to text. how does this work and also do you need certain operating system. is there anyother equipment i could have. i did have a notetaker in college for a bit but i dont think it will help in uni as its alot faster.
im hoping to go back in septemeber so would be useful to know what kind of help i can get

I have a dictaphone and you don't need a certain operating system. The notetakers are fast enough to write everything down that's needed.
Reply 2
I'd urge you to continue with your DSA application- rejected for not being enough? I've had students supported with nothing more than an audiogram.

The DVRs are quite good. We use Olympus DM-670 which allows you to record your voice, and then transcribes your voice to text if trained with Dragon Naturally Speaking software.

You would probably also benefit from an Assistive listening device- depending on your BAHA aid you may be able to get a directional microphone to relay the audio to either Telecoil or bluetooth into the aid. We use the Phonak Smartlink system normally, supplied from Connevans.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
My baha doesn't work for me as we'll now and I don't think I will get another at audio appointment . I think they are leaning towards normal hearing aids.

I would need it for lecturers and not my own voice . On my course we have loads of lecturers.

It was rejected because of just a letter with listed conditions on. But now I have more detailed letter saying my hearing has got worse. Does dragon work on windows and also my word does not work as it was only free trial when I got laptop. I haven't been able to afford to get the software for word. I use the Uni word software through desktop anywhere which allows me to use my Uni desktop at home

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 4
Dragon will work on Windows, yes. DSA won't supply any software that they know won't work with your machine.
Reply 5
Original post by Sanddancerlass
My baha doesn't work for me as we'll now and I don't think I will get another at audio appointment . I think they are leaning towards normal hearing aids.

I would need it for lecturers and not my own voice . On my course we have loads of lecturers.

It was rejected because of just a letter with listed conditions on. But now I have more detailed letter saying my hearing has got worse. Does dragon work on windows and also my word does not work as it was only free trial when I got laptop. I haven't been able to afford to get the software for word. I use the Uni word software through desktop anywhere which allows me to use my Uni desktop at home

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

You may be able to access suitable adaptations to hearing aids via DSA, such as the micro receivers which can fit into most hearing aids. The radio system would pick up the voice of the lecturer and play it straight to you.

Unfortunately the Dragon software will only transcribe a trained voice so wouldn't work with recording lecturers speaking. It may be more suitable to look at note taker support, or real time captioning with transcript such as Bee Communications. There would be no problem in getting a copy of Office (with Word in) for your computer.

Quick Reply

Latest