The Student Room Group
Student in halls, University of Hull
University of Hull
Kingston-upon-Hull
Visit website

The Hull accommodation deposit?

Has anyone else paid the accommodation deposit with a Visa Electron debit card..or tried to? Because no matter how much I try, it says that payment failed because my card issuer declined the transaction, 'cause it's not authorized!!! I'm going to open a new debit card n Monday, this time I'll make it Visa or Visa Debit but I still want to know if that's the problem why I couldn't pay my deposit. Or is it because it is a weekend? I've never made online payments before so I don't know..I just hope I'll still get the room I wanted and it's not too late ( I want one of the student houses).
Reply 1
Original post by Alina Morosanu
Has anyone else paid the accommodation deposit with a Visa Electron debit card..or tried to? Because no matter how much I try, it says that payment failed because my card issuer declined the transaction, 'cause it's not authorized!!! I'm going to open a new debit card n Monday, this time I'll make it Visa or Visa Debit but I still want to know if that's the problem why I couldn't pay my deposit. Or is it because it is a weekend? I've never made online payments before so I don't know..I just hope I'll still get the room I wanted and it's not too late ( I want one of the student houses).

Could be because it was a Visa Electron. Did it have the option of Visa Electron when you selected what type of card you would be paying with?
Student in halls, University of Hull
University of Hull
Kingston-upon-Hull
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by 19ebony93
Could be because it was a Visa Electron. Did it have the option of Visa Electron when you selected what type of card you would be paying with?

Yeah, I thought it may be because of that. No, the only options were Visa and Visa Debit..and I tried both of them but it won't work. Is this the only way you can pay the deposit online ? I mean, I know you can pay in cash as well, but I'm an international student so that's out of the equation for me. Maybe I could transfer the money directly into the University's bank account or something..because even if I open a new debit card, it would take three days to receive my card and I fear all the rooms I wanted will be taken by then. Also, thank you for answering me!
Reply 3
Original post by Alina Morosanu
Yeah, I thought it may be because of that. No, the only options were Visa and Visa Debit..and I tried both of them but it won't work. Is this the only way you can pay the deposit online ? I mean, I know you can pay in cash as well, but I'm an international student so that's out of the equation for me. Maybe I could transfer the money directly into the University's bank account or something..because even if I open a new debit card, it would take three days to receive my card and I fear all the rooms I wanted will be taken by then. Also, thank you for answering me!

It's a shame they don't consider things like this happening! Maybe try emailing or ringing the university and telling them your situation? :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Hann19
It's a shame they don't consider things like this happening! Maybe try emailing or ringing the university and telling them your situation? :smile:

Hmm, that's actually a good idea! I think I'll call them tomorrow to find out what I should do. Thank you.
If not, I'll ask some of my friends or neighbours if they have a Visa, transfer the money to their account and pay with their cards..This process of applying to a University in another country is so tiring!

Quick Reply

Latest