The Student Room Group

Betting Discussion (Mark II)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3980
Original post by pane123
That sounds like a good bet to me. Did you have anything on the Ashes?

I had a bit on Mitchell Johnson MOTM in 3 of the 5 tests, but only won with the 4th test. Also Mitchell Johnson top wicket-taker and Michael Clarke top australian batsman but Warner won that. Yourself?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by DH1'
I had a bit on Mitchell Johnson MOTM in 4 over the 5 tests, but only won the 4th once. Also Mitchell Johnson top wicket-taker and Michael Clarke top australian batsman but Warner won that. Yourself?

I had Warner top Oz batsman, Johnson top Oz wicket taker, Broad top Eng wicket taker, Bell top Eng batsman and Australia to win the series. My bet on Warner had me sweating till the very end!
Reply 3982
Original post by pane123
I had Warner top Oz batsman, Johnson top Oz wicket taker, Broad top Eng wicket taker, Bell top Eng batsman and Australia to win the series. My bet on Warner had me sweating till the very end!

Some fantastic bets there. Very nicely done. You pretty much nailed the Ashes. How much research went into those bets?

Are you dabbling into the Australian Open this fortnight?
Original post by DH1'
Some fantastic bets there. Very nicely done. You pretty much nailed the Ashes. How much research went into those bets?

Are you dabbling into the Australian Open this fortnight?

I do some work for a guy who advised the bets, so I can take no credit whatsoever. It was incredible on his part, though.

I am looking at Australian Open bets as we speak, but tennis isn't my strongest sport. I do love it, but I just don't have time to follow it too closely. I will be focussing on the women's tournament, as most of the value in the men's game is taken by guys who are much stronger at betting on tennis than I am. Either that or I just make the wrong picks.
Welling utd -1,Bromley -1 and cliftonville -1,my 3 single bets all around 10/11 in prices.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3985
Original post by oldham_fran
Whacked £300 (built up from a tenner) on Aston Villa no clean sheet and Inter Milan -0.75 Asian handicap. Bricking it atm.

What is an asian handicap? And is Oldham your name or is it where you're from?
Original post by pane123
I do some work for a guy who advised the bets, so I can take no credit whatsoever. It was incredible on his part, though.

I am looking at Australian Open bets as we speak, but tennis isn't my strongest sport. I do love it, but I just don't have time to follow it too closely. I will be focussing on the women's tournament, as most of the value in the men's game is taken by guys who are much stronger at betting on tennis than I am. Either that or I just make the wrong picks.

WTA is more unpredictable, so many people stick to the men's game. You could argue that there is then more value in the women's game, if you can make the right picks. I normally focus on the WTA in any case.
Original post by jamiepango
WTA is more unpredictable, so many people stick to the men's game. You could argue that there is then more value in the women's game, if you can make the right picks. I normally focus on the WTA in any case.

I find it much easier to find value, especially in big tournaments. The top men are so good that I find it very hard to know what price they should be, not only against outsiders, but against each other. It works the other way, too, in that I have no idea what a guy sitting at 150 in the world should be against Djok, for example.

Who do you fancy as an outright for the Aus Open? No way I'm backing Williams at 1.67.
Original post by pane123
I find it much easier to find value, especially in big tournaments. The top men are so good that I find it very hard to know what price they should be, not only against outsiders, but against each other. It works the other way, too, in that I have no idea what a guy sitting at 150 in the world should be against Djok, for example.

Who do you fancy as an outright for the Aus Open? No way I'm backing Williams at 1.67.

I rarely back tournament winners, especially straight from the offset. But I took A.Radwanska at 85/1 on Betfair, and will look to lay it off soon.
Espanyol you beauuuty

£150 profit from Zlatan winning the Puskas. Placed this bet a damn while ago, although I can't complain because this was almost certainly going to happen. Would have slapped a grand on it if I had that kind of money laying around.
Original post by little_tom

£150 profit from Zlatan winning the Puskas. Placed this bet a damn while ago, although I can't complain because this was almost certainly going to happen. Would have slapped a grand on it if I had that kind of money laying around.

Why didn't I think of doing this :facepalm:
So far so good!

Had

Espanyol won
Real Madrid won
Levante (Draw no bet) won
Man City -won

Look to get £80 back.

This will make it 2 accumulators out of 2 if it comes up as I also won a 4 fold last night

EDIT: I know pronounce myself as the Coupon King of TSR :king1:
(edited 10 years ago)
Got ridiculously close today on a big acca
Arsenal u21 let me down, they were facing a second to bottom middlesbrough
Ill save the next big acca for the weekend
I've also done nba tonight
Grizzles
Rockets
Heat
Bulls

Edit; what did frustrate me is that i took norway and napoli off in favour of arsenal, and they both won, always happens! Haha
(edited 10 years ago)
Tonight:

Alfreton Town
Barca -1
Estoril
Villarreal to qualify

£13 returns £70
Original post by Jordooooom
Tonight:

Alfreton Town
Barca -1
Estoril
Villarreal to qualify

£13 returns £70

Like the look of that, im thinking of doing, alferton and villarreal bttw & btts around 12/1

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by pl,okmijn
Like the look of that, im thinking of doing, alferton and villarreal bttw & btts around 12/1

Posted from TSR Mobile

That sounds like a shout, really good odds!
Reply 3997
Its high time we did some more bets!

One thing I want to do before this thread finishes is explain why I believe antepost accumulators are a great way to bet leaving to one

side the question of their long-term profitability.

The main reason is that when yo do an antepost bet you are effectively 'buying the right' to support those teams for the remainder of the season or at least until the bet looks like losing.

And its really only when you care about a team that you can really enjoy the sheer drama of the great sport that is football.

Now,of course,when someone does a 10-way accumulator on matchday results they too are able to support those teams.

But usually they know by half-time that the bet is going to lose.So-45 minutes entertainment.Sure theres also the anticipation but thats there in antepost betting too.

And any well thought-out antepost multiple should give you literally 100s of hours of entertainment.

Anyway these bets are with BetVic.

Hull 7-1/Swansea 2-1/WBA 9-2 to finish in top 10,Leicester to win the Championship 10-11,Brentford to win lge 1 5-4,Burton to be

promoted 7-4,Celtic/Motherwell/Aberdeen all 5-1 to win the handicap,Airdrie 10-11/Arbroath 7-4 to be bottom of SD 1,Clyde 5-

4/Annan 4-1 to win SD 2 handicap

(SD = Scottish Division)

Now thats actually 36 bets/combinations and the unit stake is 30p so £10.80

Now think about the sheer amount of entertainment this bet should provide.

Yep,theres a risk that either Leicester or Brentford could start losing and both have tricky away games today but hopefully it would

still take a few weeks at least before this bet looked doomed.

Its important to realise that you dont just have an interest in the teams youve bet on,you also have an interest in any game that affects the outcome of your bet.

Thats why I particularly like the top 10 aspect of it. No more boring/meaningless Premiership mid table games! Well until Leicester start collapsing:frown:

Watching Gillette Soccer Saturday is so much fun with lots of games to look out for.It really is.

But other gamblers only have about 6 teams to look out for on average.

Right I think I need to do a couple of other bets because of my outstanding/previous bets.

BETVIC again

Ings top Championship scorer 6-1,Scunthorpe to win Lge 2 2-1,Dundee to win SD Championship 4-5,Cambridge 5-4/Alfreton 10-3 to

win Conference handicap,Airdrie 10-11/Arbroath to be bottom,Clyde 5-4/East Stirling 5-4/Annan 4-1 to win handicap

12 bets @ 40p = £4.80

CORAL

Nugent to be championship top scorer 10-1 £4

BET 365

Austin to be championship top scorer 10-1 £2

Im having to make these singles as I need to do something else before the 12-15 ko.

Im not going to bother updating the bank because Im not going to be betting anything like £1000

I think Ive spent about £30 thus far
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3998
Original post by utr
Is this just a long winded way of describing arbritage (sp) betting? I make a lot of money doing it as well, however, only on one game at a time.

To those that say there is a no profit in long term betting, I would hazard a guess you will be the sort of people who will put 100% balance on Arsenal at home to Tottenham (just using as an example) and then kick up a fuss when it loses.

Betting on mainstream games is a no no in my eyes, there is much more pedigreed betting opportunities in the more obscure leagues, UK & abroad.

However, they key thing is to stay disciplined when staking or thats when it will all go wrong.

I hope you will accept my apologies for not replying to this before-Ive only just seen it.

Um,no its not a long-winded way of describling arbritage betting.

For many years it was possible to make excellent profits by betting each-way in multiples on antepost markets.

Those bets were value-no doubt about it.But the crucial thing is that you could only exploit the value by betting in multiples!!

There was no choice in the matter.

When I was doing that I never ever thought Id be able to continue making a profit when the bookies finally stopped this place value.

Its only by chance that I noticed that it may actually be possible to continue making profits betting win only in multiples.

And thats what Im trying to either prove or indeed disprove.

Im not trying to do that on here by the way-Id have done more bets by now for one thing.

Rather,Im still hoping against hope that I can get a few people to answer my original question.

(Ive actually been making very good progress getting answers from

elsewhere-I cant ask friends/aquaintances/family etc as they are biased

and,not being disrespectful or anything,I really want people with degrees or about to get one to answer and I mix very much with people who dont have them!

But every little helps.

And it occurred to me that perhaps I may get a few answers if people can

see it in action.)

Anyway,good luck and sorry once again.
(edited 10 years ago)
Pissed off, i cashed out with bet365 on the leicester game, and they go and score in the 88th minute, typical!

Quick Reply

Latest