The Student Room Group

Betting Discussion (Mark II)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1780
Original post by Nightowk
Yay finally one :P

Was just going to bet on what you posted but the race had already started :angry:
Original post by Dubes
Was just going to bet on what you posted but the race had already started :angry:

I hope thats sarcasm bro, I only just started betting racing and I'm not even putting my own money in.
Reply 1782
I hope thats sarcasm bro, I only just started betting racing and I'm not even putting my own money in.

No I searched it on Twitter my usual method for horse racing :colondollar: and some had tipped it E/W so I was going to do a small bet on it. Seems it was 14/1 earlier as well.
Original post by Dubes
No I searched it on Twitter my usual method for horse racing :colondollar: and some had tipped it E/W so I was going to do a small bet on it. Seems it was 14/1 earlier as well.

Haha yeah it was a much bigger price earlier, thats why I took it too.
EDIT: It'd be interesting to find some stats on how often a horse wins if it's price has dropped by a certain percentage. Of course you'd have to look at the stats in detail and see who the jockey/trainer/course was too. I'll prob have a look around, I'm sure I bookmarked a page earlier titled economics of gambling, will try and find it.
(edited 10 years ago)
Nightowk there is always going to be losers, that's why it's imperative to get BOG and get them early.

Here's my stakes/returns for today and you'll see what I mean:

Staked 26pts / Returns 30pts (1pt per £5)

Realta mi Croi - Backed at 10.0, went off at 4.0 and won. There's £30 / 6pts extra
Marie deja la - Backed at 4.5 but drifted to 5.5 (BOG) There's £5 / 1pt extra.

I backed 26 horses and only had 5 winners yet still made profit. So it's not all about strike rate/win percentages
Original post by sebotobes
Nightowk there is always going to be losers, that's why it's imperative to get BOG and get them early.

Here's my stakes/returns for today and you'll see what I mean:

Staked 26pts / Returns 30pts (1pt per £5)

Realta mi Croi - Backed at 10.0, went off at 4.0 and won. There's £30 / 6pts extra
Marie deja la - Backed at 4.5 but drifted to 5.5 (BOG) There's £5 / 1pt extra.

I backed 26 horses and only had 5 winners yet still made profit. So it's not all about strike rate/win percentages

I see your point. Thanks for the info. Going to go with Billy Red at 8:00. Should be an exciting one, lots of contenders.
I see your point. Thanks for the info. Going to go with Billy Red at 8:00. Should be an exciting one, lots of contenders.

No worries. I've got it at 15.0, drifted.

Got a couple of others too, but I'm slightly worried about Monumental. It is a good horse.
No worries. I've got it at 15.0, drifted.

Got a couple of others too, but I'm slightly worried about Monumental. It is a good horse.

Man races like that you'd think are ones to avoid with so many contenders but then these are the ones where there is a good price on horses. Difficult to know whether to bet or not.
Man races like that you'd think are ones to avoid with so many contenders but then these are the ones where there is a good price on horses. Difficult to know whether to bet or not.

I always bet on races like that. If one is given a soft lead then it can easily make all. I backed Desert Strike this morning as soon as I saw it.

There was a few in that race who liked to race in front, and I know Hayley prefers to race front-runners so she'd get out first. Plus I'm just head over heels for her so back any of her horses with an outside chance anyway.

Think I might call it a day after Worcester. Gone for Grimley Girl, Was my Valentine and Je T'aime.
I always bet on races like that. If one is given a soft lead then it can easily make all. I backed Desert Strike this morning as soon as I saw it.

There was a few in that race who liked to race in front, and I know Hayley prefers to race front-runners so she'd get out first. Plus I'm just head over heels for her so back any of her horses with an outside chance anyway.

Think I might call it a day after Worcester. Gone for Grimley Girl, Was my Valentine and Je T'aime.

I respect your views and would like to thank both yourself and Pane for sharing your tips on here. I reckon it will be best If i can read around, learn more and then carry on picking fake bets until I can at least make a betting strategy that works for me. Until then I won't be confident in my picks and see no point of putting my money in.
I respect your views and would like to thank both yourself and Pane for sharing your tips on here. I reckon it will be best If i can read around, learn more and then carry on picking fake bets until I can at least make a betting strategy that works for me. Until then I won't be confident in my picks and see no point of putting my money in.

Anytime. Are you keeping a record of your stakes/returns?
Anytime. Are you keeping a record of your stakes/returns?

Not as of yet no, i'm just picking horses. I will probably start at some point this week and make a record on here.
I wouldn't make a record on here, cause you'll end up with 6000 posts and people won't be able to converse. You definitely should do it though, otherwise you won't know how well you're doing.
I wouldn't make a record on here, cause you'll end up with 6000 posts and people won't be able to converse. You definitely should do it though, otherwise you won't know how well you're doing.

Haha yeah true, you finish up in the end then?

Final one for me is Naaz@6/1 at 9.00
(edited 10 years ago)
Haha yeah true, you finish up in the end then?

Final one for me is Naaz@6/1 at 9.00

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah 2pts.

And Id take Ainy got a Scooby at 17.0
Yeah thats whats scaring me before I put money in...I can imagine thee's going to be lots of losing going on, whats you're win percentage if you dont mind me asking?

I leave TSR signed in all the time, so if I don't reply immediately it's probably because I'm out, as I was just there. Just don't want you thinking I'm being rude.

My win percentage is somewhere between 15-20%. As Sebo says, though, win percentage doesn't really matter without knowing things like the odds of the bets you place. Imagine you placed most of your bets at evens and had a win rate of 15%!
Haha yeah it was a much bigger price earlier, thats why I took it too.
EDIT: It'd be interesting to find some stats on how often a horse wins if it's price has dropped by a certain percentage. Of course you'd have to look at the stats in detail and see who the jockey/trainer/course was too. I'll prob have a look around, I'm sure I bookmarked a page earlier titled economics of gambling, will try and find it.

I believe there are some guys who carve a living out of following the money.

By this I mean they observe the markets and wait for a price to shorten, backing it in the hope that the money is coming from someone in the know.

This is risky in my opinion, as no horse is ever a dead cert to win and you still have to find value. If you jump on the back of a big bet, then you need to judge whether there is still value in the shorter price.
Original post by pane123
I leave TSR signed in all the time, so if I don't reply immediately it's probably because I'm out, as I was just there. Just don't want you thinking I'm being rude.

My win percentage is somewhere between 15-20%. As Sebo says, though, win percentage doesn't really matter without knowing things like the odds of the bets you place. Imagine you placed most of your bets at evens and had a win rate of 15%!

No problems I'm the same, my computer is on all day. Yeah I understood it once I read his reply.

This is quite good learning off here actually, the amount you can just learn off tips and the reasoning behind why people back the horses they do, you can kind of use the same idea and apply it to another horse.

Thanks once again bro!
No problems I'm the same, my computer is on all day. Yeah I understood it once I read his reply.

This is quite good learning off here actually, the amount you can just learn off tips and the reasoning behind why people back the horses they do, you can kind of use the same idea and apply it to another horse.

Thanks once again bro!

No need to thank me. This is my passion, I bloody love talking about all things betting! It's quite a good community we are getting going. Guys come and go, but the regulars have some great advice over a variety of different sports.

How come you have decided to try out horse racing? Are you already a fan? If not then it will be very hard to bet on it successfully. I mentioned free tips earlier, so here is a site with a very good record and it has lots of reading material:

http://www.bettingexpert.com/racing/value-angle
Original post by pane123
No need to thank me. This is my passion, I bloody love talking about all things betting! It's quite a good community we are getting going. Guys come and go, but the regulars have some great advice over a variety of different sports.

How come you have decided to try out horse racing? Are you already a fan? If not then it will be very hard to bet on it successfully. I mentioned free tips earlier, so here is a site with a very good record and it has lots of reading material:

http://www.bettingexpert.com/racing/value-angle

I've watched a few races and I do quite enjoy it at the moment, maybe not as much as ice hockey or football, but still its entertaining...
I just love competition, played football since I was young, but never gave a second look to horse racing, but now theres nothing to bet on I thought why not...helps that we've got you and Seb here usually making a profit, not exactly a factor thats going to deter me hehe.

Cheers for the link.

Quick Reply

Latest