The Student Room Group

How much money do you spend every week?

I'm just wondering if I'll be struggling at university.

How much do you spend per week on food?
and how much per week on other stuff.. going out, clothes, essentials etc
Before uni, I worked since I was 13 (ended up with 5 paper rounds) and saved up all the money, so had a fair bit saved up. I started by making the most of independence and spent about 75 a week, but by the end of first year I realised it was absolutely possible to live off 20 a week- less if I didn't go out at all. This became essential rather than a choice, though.
Reply 2
My college is catered and we don't have a kitchen so I'm not that in control of food costs but if dinner costs £3.50 or so I spend around £50 a week after rent. Might be a bit more if there's a heavy night out but that's controllable.
Am looking at roughly, 30 food, 20 extras. But I tried to budget for all the important things.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I used to do a supermarket shop that cost around £20-25 a week. I live in the same area of London but work now rather than study. The cost has gone down now and averages under £20 for the same thing, probably because I'm not at home nearly as much as I used to be. However, I do regularly practise a sport that requires a high calorie intake so the figures are bumped up in that respect.

£20-25 for alcohol, £10 maybe on food extras like fast food, £20 if eating out. Clothes as and when.
Reply 5
I spent about £40 a week (that's how it averaged out, anyway). Sometimes I'd only spend £10 - shopping at ALDI, not going out drinking or doing anything frivolous etc, and only needing a few fresh things from ALDI. Other times, I'd buy bigger shops and maybe sometimes I'd get clothes or stuff, which is how it averages out at about £40 a week by my calculations :smile: However, most people at my uni spent a fair bit more because they refuse to shop at ALDI and buy clothes from places other than Primark, and went out drinking a lot. But, I've proved it's possible to stay eating, with a roof over your head, wearing clothes and having a pretty good social life on a budget :smile:
Original post by roopsydaisy
I'm just wondering if I'll be struggling at university.

How much do you spend per week on food?
and how much per week on other stuff.. going out, clothes, essentials etc

Food costs me around £20-30/week for some fairly decent home cooked meals.

As for other costs, my other biggie is going home from time to time (£50 train ticket with a rail card).

I don't really spend money on clothes, unless I need something or it's a good deal so this varies a lot.

Going out wise, I don't really go clubbing much and prefer to just go to the cinema (~£7) or stay at home and watch movies with my flat mates. When I do go out clubbing I normally spend £20-30 max including taxis, drinks, entry fees if applicable. I don't go clubbing every week though.

I spend a fair amount of stationary, and ink costs, but not sure how much this mounts up to on a weekly basis.

The best thing that helped me is working out how much money I have per week after rent goes out. Then I write down my spendings each week so if I am overspending on a certain area, I know where I can realistically cut back. Obviously I can spend more than my allowance one week, so long as it's reduced the next week if need be. Shop smart and only get things you need as a priority, and avoid as many branded items as possible. Get student discounts where you can and if you intend to travel a lot by train/bus get a train/bus pass.
Reply 7
I personally budget for around £55 a week.

I live in self-catering accommodation and that gives me enough for a night out, food and any other random things.

If you're worried or nervous for starting uni, check out
http://howtosurviveatuniversity.wordpress.com/

real advice on the things that matter, any suggestions/questions also appreciated!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending