The Student Room Group

How much do you spend on beauty products/toiletries?

I've been a bit slack with my money recently :colondollar: So I've been working out how much I spend on things on average per month to try and sort out my finances and budget a bit better whilst at uni.

Adding it up, I'm spending around £50 a month on toiletries, including Makeup, Skin care, deodorant, shampoo, perfume, etc. It seems like a lot to me but I'm not sure where to start cutting back. Is this a reasonable amount? Would be nice to see how much everyone else spends to try and get a good picture of what's normal!

Be honest! :tongue:

Scroll to see replies

About £20-£30 every two months.
I don't use much.
Reply 2
Original post by Vixen47
About £20-£30 every two months.
I don't use much.

is that just on makeup, or including all toiletries?
either way that's really good, I could probably do with learning from you haha!
I don't know when to stop and I always buy backups of things, I could just live in boots! :redface:
Reply 3
About £10-£15. Shampoo and conditioner I always buy the huge tubs and bottles so they last like 6 months and they are cheaper.

I hardly buy makeup, I know what I like and buy it about 2 or 3 times a year so I don't waste money on products I'll never use again.

The things I buy most often are face wash and face cream and I always check on mysupermarket.com to see when they are on offer and then buy them. Expensive products don't always = good products. I use a £2 face wash from superdrug which I really like and my face cream costs £5 but it will last a few months.

And I always use the points on my boots card to partially pay for items, the points are really good and you can earn money really quickly.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Enigma55
About £10-£15. Shampoo and conditioner I always buy the huge tubs and bottles so they last like 6 months and they are cheaper.

I hardly buy makeup, I know what I like and buy it about 2 or 3 times a year so I don't waste money on products I'll never use again.

The things I buy most often are face wash and face cream and I always check on mysupermarket.com to see when they are on offer and then buy them. Expensive products don't always = good products. I use a £2 face wash from superdrug which I really like and my face cream costs £5 but it will last a few months.

And I always use the points on my boots card to partially pay for items, the points are really good and you can earn money really quickly.

Yeah I have a boots card too, it really pays off! I know I need to be more responsible with my money, credit to you for spending such a reasonable amount. I feel bad now hha :colondollar:
Reply 5
Original post by LouLou92
Yeah I have a boots card too, it really pays off! I know I need to be more responsible with my money, credit to you for spending such a reasonable amount. I feel bad now hha :colondollar:

Set yourself a limit and stick to it. I used to spend £30+ each time I went into boots/superdrug and it was a waste. I tried cheaper products that worked just as well, they have less ingredients so better for you and cheaper so stuck with those.

The only thing I splurge on is foundation because I'm yet to find a cheaper foundation that works as well as my MAC foundation (the shade is off but that's another story, the staying power is excellent).
Reply 6
Set yourself a limit and stick to it. I used to spend £30+ each time I went into boots/superdrug and it was a waste. I tried cheaper products that worked just as well, they have less ingredients so better for you and cheaper so stuck with those.

The only thing I splurge on is foundation because I'm yet to find a cheaper foundation that works as well as my MAC foundation (the shade is off but that's another story, the staying power is excellent).

The problem is my 'limit' is the 'essentials' that I've worked out. I wrote out what I 'need' toilety/beauty-wise, and how long each thing lasts me to get a monthly average. I stripped out all products I never use/won't repurchase so I'm only buying things from the list.

I think the real issue is skin care - I'm spending around £22 a month on that alone. But I used to have quite bad skin and getting a good routine with certain products has cleared it up tremendously, so I'm really reluctant to pare that down. Makeup I only buy mascara and concealer now because my skin is good, so I suppose that evens out in a way.

Most things I use are drugstore products..the most expensive thing on the list is a £16 Clinique spf because my skin is sensitive and it's the only sunblock I can use without having an allergic reaction (that I've found, at least). All the makeup is under a fiver but still good quality.
Reply 7
An average of £25-35 tbh. I find it kinda strange that has a guy I spend more money on toiletries and skincare than I do on my wardrobe. :colondollar:
Reply 8
The problem is my 'limit' is the 'essentials' that I've worked out. I wrote out what I 'need' toilety/beauty-wise, and how long each thing lasts me to get a monthly average. I stripped out all products I never use/won't repurchase so I'm only buying things from the list.

I think the real issue is skin care - I'm spending around £22 a month on that alone. But I used to have quite bad skin and getting a good routine with certain products has cleared it up tremendously, so I'm really reluctant to pare that down. Makeup I only buy mascara and concealer now because my skin is good, so I suppose that evens out in a way.

Most things I use are drugstore products..the most expensive thing on the list is a £16 Clinique spf because my skin is sensitive and it's the only sunblock I can use without having an allergic reaction (that I've found, at least). All the makeup is under a fiver but still good quality.

Maybe you can buy the same items but in larger bottles as they usually work out cheaper?

If you've don't your Maths then not much you can do. Clear skin is very important (trust me I know I've had acne for 12 years :frown: )
Reply 9
Original post by Spontogical
An average of £25-35 tbh. I find it kinda strange that has a guy I spend more money on toiletries and skincare than I do on my wardrobe. :colondollar:

That's like me to be honest, I hardly ever buy clothes and as long as they're clean and somewhat presentable I don't really care what I'm wearing!

Maybe you can buy the same items but in larger bottles as they usually work out cheaper?

If you've don't your Maths then not much you can do. Clear skin is very important (trust me I know I've had acne for 12 years :frown: )

Yes I'll try to start doing that, it does work out cheaper. I know - I'm looking at my list right now and honestly can't think of anything I can take away that I wouldn't miss :/ but I feel bad 'needing' so much when so many people in the world have so little
Reply 10
just buy what u need dont buy things like coloured eyeshadow and dont go shopping for nailvarnish just buy the stuff u always wear like mascara ect..

also try websites like
lookfantastic
feelunique
fragrancedirect

all have some really good discounts like 75% on stuff sometimes and its stuff u would actually buy like clinique and foundation and stuff so have a look at places like that
also u can do survey websites which give like £10 voucers for places like sainsburys it might take a while to get the voucher but its something
On average about £30 a month, which is a lot, but yeah... this month I've managed to spend loads in anticipation of my enforced spending ban I'll have over the summer due to being broke :tongue:
Reply 12
Original post by RibenaRockstar
On average about £30 a month, which is a lot, but yeah... this month I've managed to spend loads in anticipation of my enforced spending ban I'll have over the summer due to being broke :tongue:

haha, sounds like me! I always buy backups of things and have no clue why..? It's like I live in fear of products being discontinued! First world problems! :rolleyes:
at least you're spending less than I am?? :smile:
is that just on makeup, or including all toiletries?
either way that's really good, I could probably do with learning from you haha!
I don't know when to stop and I always buy backups of things, I could just live in boots! :redface:

Everything.
After suffering a lip gloss addiction around this time last year, I've now forced myself to stop buying lip glosses/sticks/balms until I finish the 50 or so I currently have. That's the only make up I use other than nail polish of which I currently have more colours than I have fingers and toes so I don't need to buy those either. :tongue:

Other than these the only other necessities I buy are:
- Tampons/sanitary towels
I never spend more than £5 on these when I buy them every 3-5 months. (My periods are really light thanks to the pill.)
- Baby lotion
Something like £1 and it lasts like 2 months because I only use it on my face
- Aqueous cream
£3. One tub has lasted over 2/3 months. I use it only when my skin is ridiculous dry, which usually happens when the seasons are changing
- Any kind of moisturiser/body butter for hands, legs and feet
£1-£5
- Coconut oil
£2. Lasts 4-6 months
- Roll ons/deodorant sprays
£4 for a couple
- Herbal Essences shampoo/conditioner
2 for £4 @ Asda :colone:
- Bikini line waxing strips
£1. I use these for my upper lip and side burns. (Asian genetics seem to love side burns.)

That's it, really.
I'm looking around my room for more things to add to the list but I'm surprising myself!
I mean, I'm excluding things that last forever like pumice stones, perfume, epilator, and shower stuff.
I'm not a fan of make up so I suppose I save A LOT on that.

And I get what you mean about Boots, it's Superdrugs for me!
Reply 14
Original post by Vixen47
Everything.
After suffering a lip gloss addiction around this time last year, I've now forced myself to stop buying lip glosses/sticks/balms until I finish the 50 or so I currently have. That's the only make up I use other than nail polish of which I currently have more colours than I have fingers and toes so I don't need to buy those either. :tongue:

Other than these the only other necessities I buy are:
- Tampons/sanitary towels
I never spend more than £5 on these when I buy them every 3-5 months. (My periods are really light thanks to the pill.)
- Baby lotion
Something like £1 and it lasts like 2 months because I only use it on my face
- Aqueous cream
£3. One tub has lasted over 2/3 months. I use it only when my skin is ridiculous dry, which usually happens when the seasons are changing
- Any kind of moisturiser/body butter for hands, legs and feet
£1-£5
- Coconut oil
£2. Lasts 4-6 months
- Roll ons/deodorant sprays
£4 for a couple
- Herbal Essences shampoo/conditioner
2 for £4 @ Asda :colone:
- Bikini line waxing strips
£1. I use these for my upper lip and side burns. (Asian genetics seem to love side burns.)

That's it, really.
I'm looking around my room for more things to add to the list but I'm surprising myself!
I mean, I'm excluding things that last forever like pumice stones, perfume, epilator, and shower stuff.
I'm not a fan of make up so I suppose I save A LOT on that.

And I get what you mean about Boots, it's Superdrugs for me!

'nail polish of which I currently have more colours than I have fingers and toes' hahaha, really made me laugh!

Boots always trick me..it's like, I can spend more and then have more points..so more 'free' things to get with points..but it's not 'free' because I've had to spend loads to get them!

By the way I included shower gel, soap, razors, and deodorant in my list. If that makes any difference.
Reply 15
Probably £20 every two months on period stuff, i go through it really quick.
£20 every three weeks on hair things, I use Aussie and my parents pay for it
so probably £100+ every two months.
I am 13 though and it lasts a long time
'nail polish of which I currently have more colours than I have fingers and toes' hahaha, really made me laugh!

Boots always trick me..it's like, I can spend more and then have more points..so more 'free' things to get with points..but it's not 'free' because I've had to spend loads to get them!

By the way I included shower gel, soap, razors, and deodorant in my list. If that makes any difference.

I feel your pain but with Tesco! And now I recently ordered a nectar card after finding out I can get points via ebay purchases so I've been going crazy on eBay just to get nectar points! And oh my goodness, Subway even have their Subway card thing of which I have two. It's madness! But the satisfaction when you get more points is amazing. :love:

Consider buying an epilator! I completely forgot I owned a razor (and three unopened Venus blades!) until yesterday because I've been using my shiny new epilator since I bought it around early-mid April. I haven't shaved nor waxed since. It's a life saver though it is ridiculously loud.
reading this thread has depressed me. i spend a good £150-£200 a month on make up at minimum. i just can't keep out of boots. i get paid and BAM, more make up i can't fit anywhere and nail polish that i probably have an exact shade match for somewhere. i need to take a leaf out of all your books, especially before uni in september, argh!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
Original post by Vixen47
I feel your pain but with Tesco! And now I recently ordered a nectar card after finding out I can get points via ebay purchases so I've been going crazy on eBay just to get nectar points! And oh my goodness, Subway even have their Subway card thing of which I have two. It's madness! But the satisfaction when you get more points is amazing. :love:

Consider buying an epilator! I completely forgot I owned a razor (and three unopened Venus blades!) until yesterday because I've been using my shiny new epilator since I bought it around early-mid April. I haven't shaved nor waxed since. It's a life saver though it is ridiculously loud.

Points cards are a complete mind game! And I totally get sucked in :tongue: Ohhh you totally should not have told me that Subway do a card :/ haha, bad times.

How much is a good epilator? And does it hurt? (I'm a wuss when it comes to pain!) Sounds like it might save money in the long run if it means you don't have to get new razor blades!
Reply 19
Original post by melissabishopx
reading this thread has depressed me. i spend a good £150-£200 a month on make up at minimum. i just can't keep out of boots. i get paid and BAM, more make up i can't fit anywhere and nail polish that i probably have an exact shade match for somewhere. i need to take a leaf out of all your books, especially before uni in september, argh!

Posted from TSR Mobile

That is a lot, but to be fair at least you have a job though - if you've earnt the money then don't feel too bad about spending it. I earn too, but I have a miserly student loan so it's actually a problem if I spend too much!

Quick Reply

Latest