The Student Room Group
Imo, usually best friends agree that they are each other's best friends, but I guess sometimes you could have a best friend that regards you as just a "friend"...
Reply 2
Does it really matter?
a good friend acts like a guest in your house. a best friend opens the fridge and makes himself/herself at home. lol
Reply 4
^ I'd say that's about right. Best friends are treated as part of the family and end up helping out with everything. Good friends are made to feel welcome but are not asked to do things and help out.
Reply 5
I think the distinction is that a good friend is someone you think a lot about/are close to/enjoy spending time with whereas a best friend is someone you could spend a lot more time with and not get fed up of them. Almost like a sibling or whatever.
sandy_squirrel
Imo, usually best friends agree that they are each other's best friends, but I guess sometimes you could have a best friend that regards you as just a "friend"...

could someone pleeeeeeeese tell me what IMO stands for, yea im posting as anon because the answer is probably really bait and i feel silly for not getting it yet :redface:
Reply 7
IMO = in my opinion
I tend not to use best friend when talking to people about them because i have so many good friends that using 'best' seems to imply that one is a better friend than another, if you get what i mean.

But if you have only one...or one that you have no problem saying is your closest then i guess there's no problem, i'd be really flattered and say thanx and probably give a big hug if someone refered to me as their best friend :biggrin:
Note
IMO = in my opinion

Thanx :biggrin:
Reply 10
I feel sad / ashamed when somebody says I'm their best friend because it is not reciprocated. I wouldn't say I have a "best" friend, just good ones.
strawberry
a good friend acts like a guest in your house. a best friend opens the fridge and makes himself/herself at home. lol

I'd definitly say that's the best definition on here so far and the one that rings true to me.

My best mate - helped her family put down their Nein's patio

Good Mate - Wouldn't be allowed to think about a cement mixer in thier house let alone use one
id say i have lots of close friends, but no one single best friend. also i have friends that are just friends, and also 'simple' friends as this cute little thing i found says .....

A simple friend, when visiting, acts like a guest.
A real friend opens your refrigerator and helps himself/herself.

A simple friend has never seen you cry.
A real friend has shoulders soggy from your tears.

A simple friend doesn't know your parents' first names.
A real friend has their phone numbers in his/her address book.

A simple friend brings a bottle of wine to your party.
A real friend comes early to help you cook and stays late to help you clean.

A simple friend hates it when you call after he has gone to bed.
A real friend asks you why you took so long to call.

A simple friend seeks to talk with you about your problems.
A real friend seeks to help you with your problems.

A simple friend wonders about your romantic history.
A real friend could blackmail you with it.

A simple friend thinks the friendship is over when you have an argument.
A real friend calls you after you had a fight

A simple friend expects you to always be there for them.
A real friend expects to always be there for you!
I've got a number of good friends who I'm really close to, and I've got a best friend, but if someone asked me to explain why he was my best friend or what makes him my best friend and not just a good friend like my other friends, I wouldn't be able to. It's like if someone asks you why you are friends with someone, it would be impossible to answer!

hehe other than the definition I gave earlier, a best friend to me is my best friend. She slaps me when I'm crying over something really stupid and tells me to grow up (I know that sounds mean but that has really made me a tougher person), she takes all my sarcasm in and throws it right back at me while laughing our asses off...she said yes immediately after I explained to her why I needed to borrow 200 bucks from her, she makes sure she makes time to hang out with me when I'm back in my home country. She listens to my moaning and groaning about boys and calls my ex an *******...lol God I don't know what I would without her. She and two other girls, and my best GUY friend are just Godsends to me.

Latest

Trending

Trending