The Student Room Group

LUXURY WATCH. Graduate job offer

Hey guys,

I recently got a graduate job offer working for a Big4 in London. I am eligible for a graduate loan of £7,000 which is interest free and can be paid in monthly installments over the next 3 years, and I really want to get a luxury watch.

I currently wear a quartz, analogue Seiko which cost me around £200 several years ago, but I feel that now that I'm going to work in the city, and that I'm about to finish 4 hard years of university, it's time for an upgrade.

My question is, what sort of budget do you reckon I should be looking at? I want something that is more prestigious than a Seiko. But I'm not after a Rolex (not willing to spend more than £3,000). I'm open to getting an Omega (some of which I've found to be c. £2,500), but I also like the look of a Tag Heuer.

What are some other watch brands that I haven't considered, and which everyone knows and respects?

EDIT: I have also considered Swiss Army and Tissot.. but I kind of feel that they're around the same or only very slightly above a Seiko.

I also want to point out that I don't want to alienate anyone who owns a Seiko. Seikos are awesome, I have owned two over the last four years and they are excellent value (comfortable, durable, accurate, relatively cheap).
(edited 10 years ago)
I'd take the loan and put it towards a deposit for a house or flat. Watches are useless investments unless you have cash to burn. I'd secure a house (the bedrock of finances unless you want to pay a landlord's mortgage and lifestyle all your life) because splashing out on a luxury watch.

Get a nice Tissot for £600 or so and save the rest. As long as it's nice and is of quality (pretty much all swiss made watches are), few will know the brand you're wearing unless they look closely. Just get a high quality brand and something you like the look of rather than splashing on luxury for the sake of it.

Just my thoughts, you could ignore them but it's what I'd do if I had the luxury of such a loan.

If you've already got a mortgage sorted/non-rented accommodation, I'd still split the money - you could see some of the best cities in the world for £5k
Reply 2
Original post by Roronoa
Hey guys,

I recently got a graduate job offer working for a Big4 in London. I am eligible for a graduate loan of £7,000 which is interest free and can be paid in monthly installments over the next 3 years, and I really want to get a luxury watch.

I currently wear a quartz, analogue Seiko which cost me around £200 several years ago, but I feel that now that I'm going to work in the city, and that I'm about to finish 4 hard years of university, it's time for an upgrade.

My question is, what sort of budget do you reckon I should be looking at? I want something that is more prestigious than a Seiko. But I'm not after a Rolex (not willing to spend more than £3,000). I'm open to getting an Omega (some of which I've found to be c. £2,500), but I also like the look of a Tag Heuer.

What are some other watch brands that I haven't considered, and which everyone knows and respects?

EDIT: I have also considered Swiss Army and Tissot.. but I kind of feel that they're around the same or only very slightly above a Seiko.

I also want to point out that I don't want to alienate anyone who owns a Seiko. Seikos are awesome, I have owned two over the last four years and they are excellent value (comfortable, durable, accurate, relatively cheap).

For this kind of money you could get a seriously nice watch.

You are getting into IWC territory here and could be looking at watches like this:

17810324_1.png

This may or may not be your style, but it's watch making at its finest. This is £3,250 in Watches of Switzerland, meaning you will get it for under £3,000 elsewhere.

Other brands to look at are Breitling, Cartier, Maurice Lacroix, Longines and Muhle Glashutte, to name but a few. Watches in this price range can keep their value because the craftsmanship that goes into them is incredible.

Read as much as you can about luxury watches, because there is a lot to choose from. You are in a very fortunate position and I wish you all the best with your search.
Original post by Makebelieve15
I'd take the loan and put it towards a deposit for a house or flat. Watches are useless investments unless you have cash to burn. I'd secure a house (the bedrock of finances unless you want to pay a landlord's mortgage and lifestyle all your life) because splashing out on a luxury watch.

Get a nice Tissot for £600 or so and save the rest. As long as it's nice and is of quality (pretty much all swiss made watches are), few will know the brand you're wearing unless they look closely. Just get a high quality brand and something you like the look of rather than splashing on luxury for the sake of it.

Just my thoughts, you could ignore them but it's what I'd do if I had the luxury of such a loan.

If you've already got a mortgage sorted/non-rented accommodation, I'd still split the money - you could see some of the best cities in the world for £5k

Thanks for the advice. I've been thinking a lot about this lately, because I'm really into my watches. I do intend to save most of it (perhaps by putting most of it into a mutual fund) so that I can get a house later on, but I really do want a nice watch.

I am taking on board what you're saying though, and I'm really liking the look of this Tissot:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tissot-T-Sport-T17-1-586-32-Silver-Stainless-Steel/dp/B000OGP3XY/ref=sr_1_24?ie=UTF8&qid=1370911534&sr=8-24&keywords=tissot

At the end of the day I'm still only a graduate trainee, perhaps it would be a bit odd to get an expensive watch now. I might wait 5 years or so to get a mid-high end luxury watch. Nevertheless I still have 2 months to think this over, lol.
Original post by Roronoa
Thanks for the advice. I've been thinking a lot about this lately, because I'm really into my watches. I do intend to save most of it (perhaps by putting most of it into a mutual fund) so that I can get a house later on, but I really do want a nice watch.

I am taking on board what you're saying though, and I'm really liking the look of this Tissot:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tissot-T-Sport-T17-1-586-32-Silver-Stainless-Steel/dp/B000OGP3XY/ref=sr_1_24?ie=UTF8&qid=1370911534&sr=8-24&keywords=tissot

At the end of the day I'm still only a graduate trainee, perhaps it would be a bit odd to get an expensive watch now. I might wait 5 years or so to get a mid-high end luxury watch. Nevertheless I still have 2 months to think this over, lol.

Yeah, I'd say qualify. You're big4 so as long as you pass those tough exams, you'll be set for life pretty much and then think big and all the benefits of your hard work :smile:

That Tissot is nice, some say metal bracelets look 'cheap', I'm a fan of them however and I like that. It has a clean crisp finish to it. Mull it over and decide. Or, do splash maybe a £1k on something, if it's 'good value' in brand terms.

You're still very young and maybe ask yourself if you'd actually wear something over say £800? It's a lot of money to spend on something remarkably small, you could get a couple of exclusive slick suits for that amount of money and that would boost your physical stature more than a watch, which is small by comparison.
Reply 5
Original post by Roronoa
Hey guys,

You are backward, you want to spend up to £3k on a watch, even though you haven't started your job. I assume your salary is £26-27k, which isn't that much at all. You want to get into debt even before you have earnt a penny for a watch...wow! Well I guess its your money you can spend it as you please.
Original post by sharp910sh
You are backward, you want to spend up to £3k on a watch, even though you haven't started your job. I assume your salary is £26-27k, which isn't that much at all. You want to get into debt even before you have earnt a penny for a watch...wow! Well I guess its your money you can spend it as you please.

Well after some consideration over the past couple of days, I don't think I'll spend more than £1k.
Reply 7
Original post by Roronoa
Hey guys,

deleye
Original post by Makebelieve15
Yeah, I'd say qualify. You're big4 so as long as you pass those tough exams, you'll be set for life pretty much and then think big and all the benefits of your hard work :smile:

That Tissot is nice, some say metal bracelets look 'cheap', I'm a fan of them however and I like that. It has a clean crisp finish to it. Mull it over and decide. Or, do splash maybe a £1k on something, if it's 'good value' in brand terms.

You're still very young and maybe ask yourself if you'd actually wear something over say £800? It's a lot of money to spend on something remarkably small, you could get a couple of exclusive slick suits for that amount of money and that would boost your physical stature more than a watch, which is small by comparison.

Good shout. I've got a tailor made suit and 2x M&S suits, but I may need a couple more. Any suggestions? Would TM Lewis be a jump from M&S?
Reply 9
Original post by Roronoa
Well after some consideration over the past couple of days, I don't think I'll spend more than £1k.

For £1,000 you could still get a really good Swiss made automatic watch. The Tissot is nice, but you could be looking at something a bit more unique, if that makes any sense. What about something like these:

17000003_1.pngMX0038.jpg
An update to this thread which I started months ago.

I ended up purchasing a Tissot Le Locle Automatic, on my holiday in Hong Kong. Although it's listed as £575 RRP on Amazon, I managed to get it for £350 in Hong Kong.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/81HDjyHOWhL._SL1500_.jpg

http://cdn.watchshop.com/images/reviews/1239091611.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v502/Crimsony/LeLocle-Copy.jpg

I realised that I'm not the sort to splash out thousands of unnecessary pounds on a watch as expensive as a Rolex. I don't see how it's justified when you can get a considerably cheaper, very well built Swiss made automatic watch for just several hundred pounds. I personally can't tell the difference in quality between my Tissot and my mother's Rolex. And Tissots, being an entry-level luxury watch, can still last a life time.

I think the important thing is that I'm completely in love with my watch. Absolutely no regrets. I've had it for several days now and I can't really keep my eye off it :smile:

Anyway thanks for the help guys. Appreciate it.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by Roronoa
I think the important thing is that I'm completely in love with my watch. Absolutely no regrets. I've had it for several days now and I can't really keep my eye off it :smile:

That's the only thing that matters. Looks like a superb buy.

Quick Reply

Latest