The Student Room Group

Ai anxiety post

Ai is terrifying me (the constant position in the news is really upsetting me/my mental health): no matter how good we are, Ai will replace us in everything, art, books, videogames design, film, soon, they say, films will be generated from a single prompt, we are watching the end of sharing ideas and creativity. I would either like to do law, teaching, civil service, though all of these will be decimated by 2030 tops, because of GPT-whatever. People seem to treat this as a good thing- I want to work, I like the idea of contributing to society, and don’t want to just stay at home with an Ai partner playing videogames. I have completely lost motivation to well in A-Levels, (psych, RS, Eng lit), despite being “good at them” (predicted AAA*), and been accepted by an RG uni, they won’t matter.
Nothing I do will matter: I want to do politics/philosophy, and basically it feels like every degree that isn’t CS is preparing to be replaced by an Ai. Seriously, the overwhelming hate I have for those developing this stuff cannot be put into words. I’m sort of at a loss as to what to do. Every job I considered won’t exist in 5,10,15 years, so what is the point of revising, what is the point of going to university, doing a job when in 20 years, it won’t matter? Honestly, I don’t care what I get in these wasteful A levels I picked, because by the time I graduate, the only jobs will be:
Computer maintenance
Ai trainer
Or stats guy (maybe, assuming an Ai cannot be trained to analyse stats)
I’m not going to Oxbridge or one of the London ones, so I’m not even protected by that. I’ve heard 2030 is basically “the last bus”, so in theory, I have time to ditch these a levels, do maths and computer science (both of which I’m pretty good at), then do “a proper STEM degree” to avoid being annihilated by the wrath of Silicon Valley. Several ppl I know have already dropped college (yes now) because they were doing art, and now Midjourney exists, or Chatgpt can write a better novel/song than they could.

I don’t really know what to do.
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
Ai is terrifying me (the constant position in the news is really upsetting me/my mental health): no matter how good we are, Ai will replace us in everything, art, books, videogames design, film, soon, they say, films will be generated from a single prompt, we are watching the end of sharing ideas and creativity. I would either like to do law, teaching, civil service, though all of these will be decimated by 2030 tops, because of GPT-whatever. People seem to treat this as a good thing- I want to work, I like the idea of contributing to society, and don’t want to just stay at home with an Ai partner playing videogames. I have completely lost motivation to well in A-Levels, (psych, RS, Eng lit), despite being “good at them” (predicted AAA*), and been accepted by an RG uni, they won’t matter.
Nothing I do will matter: I want to do politics/philosophy, and basically it feels like every degree that isn’t CS is preparing to be replaced by an Ai. Seriously, the overwhelming hate I have for those developing this stuff cannot be put into words. I’m sort of at a loss as to what to do. Every job I considered won’t exist in 5,10,15 years, so what is the point of revising, what is the point of going to university, doing a job when in 20 years, it won’t matter? Honestly, I don’t care what I get in these wasteful A levels I picked, because by the time I graduate, the only jobs will be:
Computer maintenance
Ai trainer
Or stats guy (maybe, assuming an Ai cannot be trained to analyse stats)
I’m not going to Oxbridge or one of the London ones, so I’m not even protected by that. I’ve heard 2030 is basically “the last bus”, so in theory, I have time to ditch these a levels, do maths and computer science (both of which I’m pretty good at), then do “a proper STEM degree” to avoid being annihilated by the wrath of Silicon Valley. Several ppl I know have already dropped college (yes now) because they were doing art, and now Midjourney exists, or Chatgpt can write a better novel/song than they could.

I don’t really know what to do.

Khan academy’s already creating its own Ai tutor, Denmark has an Ai powered political party, lawyers are under threat, Sam Altman says AGI is coming, 800 million ppl will lose their jobs, and I hate all of this
Reply 2
Nah - rubbish! Have you actually seen the output of AI? It is impressive but it isn't intelligent. The Shakespearian sonnet it created was completely without emotion. Sure, it can write basic code to solve simple problems but it can't write system code. It can write essays but only because there are dozens of essays online with the same topic. All it can actually do is take what already exists and write something similar. It certainly can't create anything new or novel. Hell - it can't even deliver adverts to me that I am interested in because it doesn't understand the basic premise that when I am half way through watching a dude eat x4 times is own weight in macaroni cheese or someone cleaning a swimming pool, I am not interested in buying some skin revitalising cream.

AI is all hype. There is little substance there. Just avoid dull jobs like Copyrighter etc.
Reply 3
Original post by hotpud
Nah - rubbish! Have you actually seen the output of AI? It is impressive but it isn't intelligent. The Shakespearian sonnet it created was completely without emotion. Sure, it can write basic code to solve simple problems but it can't write system code. It can write essays but only because there are dozens of essays online with the same topic. All it can actually do is take what already exists and write something similar. It certainly can't create anything new or novel. Hell - it can't even deliver adverts to me that I am interested in because it doesn't understand the basic premise that when I am half way through watching a dude eat x4 times is own weight in macaroni cheese or someone cleaning a swimming pool, I am not interested in buying some skin revitalising cream.

AI is all hype. There is little substance there. Just avoid dull jobs like Copyrighter etc.

Yeah, but it’s only the worst it will ever be now! Text to video is coming (death of the film industry), China is already replacing artists on videogames, Elon musk is even releasing robotic wives this year. People will chose whatever is cheap, and looks nice. It will only get better.
Reply 4
I think you shouldn't drop your ambitions. While it's true that some jobs will very likely be taken over by AI, other jobs will be created. Times change, people have had these same thoughts about the first computer revolution - those computers created jobs as well as destroying them, or at least making them a lot less effort. All throughout history new knowledge = new jobs as well as loss of jobs.

Stick to what you enjoy/are interested in. The whole field can't be taken over, and educating yourself is absolutely never a bad thing. AI will never possess true human emotion either.
If you have jobs in mind you think you will enjoy right now I don't think there is any harm in aspiring to achieve that, the job may change but something similar will exist.
Reply 5
Original post by jjeeeeeea
I think you shouldn't drop your ambitions. While it's true that some jobs will very likely be taken over by AI, other jobs will be created. Times change, people have had these same thoughts about the first computer revolution - those computers created jobs as well as destroying them, or at least making them a lot less effort. All throughout history new knowledge = new jobs as well as loss of jobs.

Stick to what you enjoy/are interested in. The whole field can't be taken over, and educating yourself is absolutely never a bad thing. AI will never possess true human emotion either.
If you have jobs in mind you think you will enjoy right now I don't think there is any harm in aspiring to achieve that, the job may change but something similar will exist.

Ai literally will not make new jobs (that’s kinda the point dude) Ai is designed to do what a team of people can, instantly, million times. I hate this line of thinking, because in the Industrial Revolution, factories did replace many basic farmhands, but opened up a millionfold new jobs in/around those factories, Ai does not do that, because whereas with factories, 1000 people were needed to run the machinery, Ai can be run by a guy with a keyboard and a single f***ing prompt. On top of that, any job that it creates will probs need a CS degree to do any way. I don’t want to work for a stillborn dream that will mean I get to graduation, just do to another degree in maths or something. Your response really does not console me
Reply 6
Ai literally will not make new jobs (that’s kinda the point dude) Ai is designed to do what a team of people can, instantly, million times. I hate this line of thinking, because in the Industrial Revolution, factories did replace many basic farmhands, but opened up a millionfold new jobs in/around those factories, Ai does not do that, because whereas with factories, 1000 people were needed to run the machinery, Ai can be run by a guy with a keyboard and a single f***ing prompt. On top of that, any job that it creates will probs need a CS degree to do any way. I don’t want to work for a stillborn dream that will mean I get to graduation, just do to another degree in maths or something. Your response really does not console me

Look, I'm not trying to offer you immediate relief or something. This is just my thoughts on the situation. I think a CS degree is absolutely not necessary, AI can of course assist most professions - people should remain adaptive as has always been viewed as a desirable characteristic for employability.

If you're into politics and philosophy, ethics and legal measures (including in the use of AI) are extremely important. If you have a true passion, then your work in the field will be seen by people as important.
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 7
I think about all the sectors in which my family and friends and I work and can tell you there is no way AI is replacing them, in the next few years or the future. There are always jobs that will require human interaction and dexterity and which can't be replicated with a few lines of code.
Okay, slow down. Breathe. AI is advancing quickly, and in some areas, it's pretty scary. But it will not replace humans. For one thing, we are social animals: people need people and human interaction. The world will change yes, but our basic needs and biology won't. Children will never be taught 100% by AI, yes it will likely play some part but it really won't be the whole thing. Similar with doctors, carers, everything else. The roles will change but they won't go away. And let's face it, capitalism will find a way to make us still be useful. You'll find a way.

Ultimately, you are going to do best at subjects, fields and jobs you enjoy, and are interested in. So for now, follow that. As those jobs change to include more AI over time, great you have some understanding of it for a head start! If the worst comes to the worst you can even retrain in a different field. Heck, you could even go into AI ethics and research using the passion you demonstrate here. There will always be options. But for now, your best bet is to focus on what you enjoy, do as well as you possibly can, and see where the world takes you. That will give you more options than anything, and hopefully some job and life satisfaction as well.
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 9
Yeah, but it’s only the worst it will ever be now! Text to video is coming (death of the film industry), China is already replacing artists on videogames, Elon musk is even releasing robotic wives this year. People will chose whatever is cheap, and looks nice. It will only get better.

Yes, but it is complete and total bilge. Video replaced by AI will be used for the equivalent of straight to DVD children's cartoons used simply to fill a space. And we as consumers can vote with our feet. We don't have to engage in video brides or watch AI generated content. We could choose to make specific decisions to watch content created by humans, just as consumers ditched companies that offered Indian call handlers who were difficult to understand.

It isn't a forgone conclusion. But either way - as long as Facebook and Google keep serving me adverts for products I am not interested I am quite happy that AI is pretty hopeless especially as that is their core business - matching adverts with consumers. And they can't do even that.
(edited 11 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending