Poll

Is the war on terror just?

As above.
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Bump
Reply 2
There won't be any combat operations next year, only support/training.

I am not sure what is happening after the withdrawal date
Reply 3
I believe Afghanistan was just, after 9/11 and with al Qaeda based in Afghanistan American and it's allies could not have just done nothing. As for the wider events of the so called war on terror, some parts were right others wrong and some in that weird moral grey area
I'm quite content with the US maintaining a more long-term military contingency in Afghanistan.
Reply 5
So whats to stop al-queda coming back after NATO pulls out? We've all seen videos of the so called Afghan army, some of them standing upright, firing from the hip into the horizon while being shot at. Doesn't matter how much you train people if they think **** like that is a good idea.

I'll guess that after a few years they'll be back and this time with new equipment courtesy of the Afghan army.
We should be starting the process of removal from Afghanistan so long as the following conditions are met: 1) Population confidence in Afghan security is satisfactory enough to curtail any potential of Takfirism spreading in insecure environments and tribes 2) Cooperation between Taliban insurgents and government officials to move forward together as largely one entity, with the aforementioned security and stability being satisfactory enough to provide as a catalyst for providing such cooperation 3) The Afghan government emphasizes the construction of institutions in Afghanistan to stabilize long-term contentment in Afghan security, beginning the process of being a failed state to a state in relation to points 1) and 2).
Ideologically? Perhaps.

Obviously, given the current situation and taking into account reality, no. This war will, in over ten years, have achieved virtually nothing by the time of our withdrawal.
It was pretty justifiable in retrospect but I think if it were to happen again with the same outcome I'd probably say no but hindsight is a wonderful thing.
Reply 9
Whether or not you agree with the justification for the original invasion, now we're there we can't withdraw until the job is done. Otherwise the Afghan government will collapse in a matter of months, the Taliban will return to power and we'll have wasted thousands of lives and billions of pounds for nothing.
Reply 10
The Taliban were a very evil government, and even today are an abhorrent organization that deliberately targets civilians and makes life hell for millions of Afghans. Yes, the West was justified in toppling the Taliban. But I just don't think we need be in there any longer. OBL is dead, but the Taliban still exist, and we can't be in there forever.

My gf is Afghan, and I feel very sorry for her, having to leave her native country because of all the mess it is in. I don't forsee peace in Afghanistan happening any time soon.
There's quite a difference between 'Should we remain in Afghanistan?' and 'Is the War on Terror just?'

The former, no. The latter, yes.
Reply 12
Im sorry but if the British empire at its mightiest got their ass's handed to them and so did the soviets by these people what hope do we have now? The people were fighting arnt an army their ****ing farmewrs who come down when they have little better to do such as when a crop is growing or what ever and fight then leave again... unless we wipe out the population we can never win this war, if those cock sucking ass monkeys in the white house and #10 had ever read a damn history book they should have known theyd never win, its like a hydra you can cut off the head [i.e. the government they didnt like] and more horrific things pop up...
Reply 13
Original post by Cannotbelieveit
There's quite a difference between 'Should we remain in Afghanistan?' and 'Is the War on Terror just?'

The former, no. The latter, yes.

Why may i ask? im just playing devils advocate here but they have every single right to bomb london, paris, new york etc. weve smashed their cities killed their women and children, they have every right to be pissed off after all what were doing is terror is it not? drones and bombing from 50,000ft? as the saying goes one mans terrorist is another mans freedom fighter and whilst i disagree with all terror i can see why theyre doing it and justify it quite happily... they didnt blow up the WTC for nothing their was a very good reason for that...
Reply 14
Of course not. Right from the beginning NATO should have launched a global special-ops operation to destroy Al-Qaeda. The invasion of an entire country was certainly not worth the lives and money it took and seems even more pointless as Al-Qaeda left the country in 2002-3.
Original post by cl_steele
Why may i ask? im just playing devils advocate here but they have every single right to bomb london, paris, new york etc. weve smashed their cities killed their women and children, they have every right to be pissed off after all what were doing is terror is it not? drones and bombing from 50,000ft? as the saying goes one mans terrorist is another mans freedom fighter and whilst i disagree with all terror i can see why theyre doing it and justify it quite happily...

So you're saying that we shouldn't fight back? We should just allow innocent civilians to be targeted and murdered?

The very fact that your suggesting 9/11 and other attacks were justified is worrying, there is no excuse, none at all, for that mindless murder in the name of 'Allah'. There's one thing that separates us from them in a very big way, we go to Afghanistan for a good cause - to stop Taliban oppression, develop the country and find and eliminate any terrorist cells operating there. Yes there might be mishaps and flaws, but the bottom line is that we are trying to be a force for good. Whereas they are pure evil, nothing less.

.. they didnt blow up the WTC for nothing their was a very good reason for that..

Their motive for 9/11 was quite simply religious fervour. they felt they were doing Allah's duty by killing Americans. If you think that is a good reason, then shame on you.
Reply 16
Original post by Spaz Man
Of course not. Right from the beginning NATO should have launched a global special-ops operation to destroy Al-Qaeda. The invasion of an entire country was certainly not worth the lives and money it took and seems even more pointless as Al-Qaeda left the country in 2002-3.

Afghanistan started off as that though. It did't work since the Afghan army was so poor. That and armies learn by doing. Just after 9/11 our special forces capabilities were not as advanced as they are today. As well as this I don't think the Americans truly understood what they were dealing with.
Reply 17
Original post by Cannotbelieveit
So you're saying that we shouldn't fight back? We should just allow innocent civilians to be targeted and murdered?

The very fact that your suggesting 9/11 and other attacks were justified is worrying, there is no excuse, none at all, for that mindless murder in the name of 'Allah'. There's one thing that separates us from them in a very big way, we go to Afghanistan for a good cause - to stop Taliban oppression, develop the country and find and eliminate any terrorist cells operating there. Yes there might be mishaps and flaws, but the bottom line is that we are trying to be a force for good. Whereas they are pure evil, nothing less.

yes im saying we should run like a scared puppy from this, its unwinnable and and a waste to try, you go tell those soldiers who died families why their boys arent coming home because you know its a fruitless war and they died forthe egos of cocks.

they are justified though they are legitimate acts of war, like carpet bombing libya, invading panama, destroying SE Asia, putting induel influence in the middle east ands the worst of all proping upand illegal regime that has surpressed and slaughtered its neighbours for decades. The taliban are very mean nasty people yes but so what we're not there to stop them once again an impossible target, ever wondered why we're in peace talks with them?

Their motive for 9/11 was quite simply religious fervour. they felt they were doing Allah's duty by killing Americans. If you think that is a good reason, then shame on you.

No it was israel and Saudiarabia, look it up. no i think its a justifiable act of war nothing more nothing less.
Reply 18
Original post by Aj12
Afghanistan started off as that though. It did't work since the Afghan army was so poor. That and armies learn by doing. Just after 9/11 our special forces capabilities were not as advanced as they are today. As well as this I don't think the Americans truly understood what they were dealing with.

I understand that this is a question asked in hindsight, but that's what we should have done. To be honest, the neo-cons in the Bush administration took this as an opportunity to achieve their objectives of military power projection.

Anyone who studied history would know that Afghanistan/Waziristan is unoccupiable...
It's right to try and give the Afghan's their freedom but was invading the best way to do it? Probably. Maybe it was the only way.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending