The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Revent
I still have £900 to spare!! :lol:

Well do have a better look at things...............which case you want...........extra storage, more ram, blu-ray, watercooling, more power 600watt maybe limiting for the future....or going for a gtx770,.........a gtx760 should be very powerful in the meantime for current gen games on ultra.

Original post by Isometrix
Yeah I might just have to purchase the OS separately. I'm not a fan of illegal stuff!

They look pretty good. Btw what do you think of this machine?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/BULLDOZER-FX-4130-3-9GHZ-DESKTOP-COMPUTER/dp/B0074OM9QS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1372449709&sr=8-2&keywords=desktop+pc

Its good, but remember a i5 is far better in terms of performance, but that isnt too bad.
Reply 61
Original post by Iqbal007
Well do have a better look at things...............which case you want...........extra storage, more ram, blu-ray, watercooling, more power 600watt maybe limiting for the future....or going for a gtx770,.........a gtx760 should be very powerful in the meantime for current gen games on ultra.

Its good, but remember a i5 is far better in terms of performance, but that isnt too bad.

Having a look now. How would you say Novatech compares with Scan when it comes to buying parts? :smile:
Reply 62
Original post by Revent
Having a look now. How would you say Novatech compares with Scan when it comes to buying parts? :smile:

Pretty good, hence why I linked them, good customer service, they have large stores but very few around the country.
Reply 63
Pretty good, hence why I linked them, good customer service, they have large stores but very few around the country.

Right, I'm having some second thoughts on the Haswell. How do you think it compares with the i7 3820? :smile:

The Haswell seems really underwhelming to be honest.
Reply 64
Original post by Revent
Right, I'm having some second thoughts on the Haswell. How do you think it compares with the i7 3820? :smile:

The Haswell seems really underwhelming to be honest.

Well its very similar.........the main reason to go with haswell is the new socket and hence future upgradability is far more possible
Reply 65
Well its very similar.........the main reason to go with haswell is the new socket and hence future upgradability is far more possible

So if I'm not planning to upgrade anything other than RAM for the next five years, it's a bit irrelevant, right?

I mean I've had my current PC for four years and the only reason I'm getting a new one is to give my mum this one because shes uses it for our business :lol:
Reply 66
Original post by Revent
So if I'm not planning to upgrade anything other than RAM for the next five years, it's a bit irrelevant, right?

I mean I've had my current PC for four years and the only reason I'm getting a new one is to give my mum this one because shes uses it for our business :lol:

I expect the socket to stay for a good few years, so it is most likely to be beneficial, the next gen of ram ddr4 and the next gen of cpus, intel may begin to focus back to performance more, more cores coming for the lower ranges.
Reply 67
Any input is welcome on this.

I'm looking at getting a new PC. Mainly to be used to edit videos using this software; http://hitfilm.com/ultimate/requirements

There's some further advice the developers give to building a PC capable of running it here; http://community.hitfilm.com/index.php?/topic/457-hardware-buying-tips-for-running-hitfilm/

I'd also like to play some games on it, and I've got this quote from DinoPC.

Customizations:
CPU: NEW! Intel Core i5 4670K (2202)
Included

CPU Overclocking: 4.2Ghz - Moderate Overclock (oc42)
Included

CPU Cooler: NEW! Corsair H60 2013 Water Cooler (3023)
Included

Operating System: Windows 8 (64-bit) (11019)
Included

Motherboard: NEW! Gigabyte Z87-HD3 (4181)
Included

RAM: 8GB Corsair 1600mhz Vengeance (2x4GB) (5041)
Included

Hard Drive: 1TB S-ATAIII 6.0Gb/s (6028)
Included

Additional Storage: NEW! Samsung 120GB 840 SSD S-ATAIII 6.0Gb/s (6044)
£88.89

Optical Drive: 22x DVD±RW DL S-ATA (7003)
Included

Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB (8083)
£23.90

Sound card: Onboard 7.1 Audio (10001)
Included

Case: Corsair Carbide 300R (17050)
Included

PSU: NEW! 650W Corsair VS (18047)
Included

Warranty: 3 Year SureCare Warranty (sc-1)
Included

Total Price: £971.79

Re. over clocking, I've never used it before. Is it worth it, or should I just get the i5 processor without over clocking, or just go for the i7 without the overclock option?

If it's possible to get it cheaper, I don't mind building it myself. I'm just not sure a) where to look for parts (scan and ebuyer, possibly?) and b) how much cheaper it is likely to be.

So yeah, any advice on whether it's worth changing anything etc. is welcome.
Reply 68
Original post by JoeK
Any input is welcome on this.

I'm looking at getting a new PC. Mainly to be used to edit videos using this software; http://hitfilm.com/ultimate/requirements

There's some further advice the developers give to building a PC capable of running it here; http://community.hitfilm.com/index.php?/topic/457-hardware-buying-tips-for-running-hitfilm/

I'd also like to play some games on it, and I've got this quote from DinoPC.

Customizations:
CPU: NEW! Intel Core i5 4670K (2202)
Included

CPU Overclocking: 4.2Ghz - Moderate Overclock (oc42)
Included

CPU Cooler: NEW! Corsair H60 2013 Water Cooler (3023)
Included

Operating System: Windows 8 (64-bit) (11019)
Included

Motherboard: NEW! Gigabyte Z87-HD3 (4181)
Included

RAM: 8GB Corsair 1600mhz Vengeance (2x4GB) (5041)
Included

Hard Drive: 1TB S-ATAIII 6.0Gb/s (6028)
Included

Additional Storage: NEW! Samsung 120GB 840 SSD S-ATAIII 6.0Gb/s (6044)
£88.89

Optical Drive: 22x DVD±RW DL S-ATA (7003)
Included

Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB (8083)
£23.90

Sound card: Onboard 7.1 Audio (10001)
Included

Case: Corsair Carbide 300R (17050)
Included

PSU: NEW! 650W Corsair VS (18047)
Included

Warranty: 3 Year SureCare Warranty (sc-1)
Included

Total Price: £971.79

Re. over clocking, I've never used it before. Is it worth it, or should I just get the i5 processor without over clocking, or just go for the i7 without the overclock option?

If it's possible to get it cheaper, I don't mind building it myself. I'm just not sure a) where to look for parts (scan and ebuyer, possibly?) and b) how much cheaper it is likely to be.

So yeah, any advice on whether it's worth changing anything etc. is welcome.

Overclocking is just making the standard processor much faster......the extra temps, etc becomes stable a using aftermarket cooler.

Well of course it would be cheaper building it yourself............look at the top of this page, where I gave a recent outline to possible specs
Reply 69

Well, after having a look, I've decided that the Haswell chip just doesn't sell to me like the previous versions screamed BUY ME :lol:

So I've decided I'm just going to get a Macbook Pro and manage on a normal quad core desktop. :erm:

BUT, my mum still wants me to upgrade the current PC a little bit.

So at the moment, I've got:

Asus P6T
i7 930 @3.8 Ghz (1 ghz overclock)
3x 2GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3
R6850 Cyclone
Acer V243HI Monitor

I think that's all the important stuff :tongue: I've got a really good PSU, a Silverstone 850W so that's not an issue. :smile:

I want to buy more RAM for this build and was wondering which one I should buy. I ideally want AT LEAST 10GB. Bear in mind, one of my slots doesn't work. Shall I just get the XMS3 again? :smile:

I also want to get another monitor. Any advice there? I want to be able to hook them both up to my GPU so I can get dual display. :smile: I need a really sharp display that gives top notch quality pictures on the screen so that it makes editing on Photoshop easier. I am willing to spend up to £350-£400 on a good monitor for quality to be honest, that's one thing I definitely don't want to sacrifice on!

Will my GPU be good enough for both monitors at max resolution as well? :smile:

Thanks! Also, if you know anything about rechargable wireless keyboards and mice, please do share :biggrin: but I'm looking for those anyway because I had some old lying around in the basement :colondollar:
Reply 70
Original post by Revent
Well, after having a look, I've decided that the Haswell chip just doesn't sell to me like the previous versions screamed BUY ME :lol:

So I've decided I'm just going to get a Macbook Pro and manage on a normal quad core desktop. :erm:

BUT, my mum still wants me to upgrade the current PC a little bit.

So at the moment, I've got:

Asus P6T
i7 930 @3.8 Ghz (1 ghz overclock)
3x 2GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3
R6850 Cyclone
Acer V243HI Monitor

I think that's all the important stuff :tongue: I've got a really good PSU, a Silverstone 850W so that's not an issue. :smile:

I want to buy more RAM for this build and was wondering which one I should buy. I ideally want AT LEAST 10GB. Bear in mind, one of my slots doesn't work. Shall I just get the XMS3 again? :smile:

I also want to get another monitor. Any advice there? I want to be able to hook them both up to my GPU so I can get dual display. :smile: I need a really sharp display that gives top notch quality pictures on the screen so that it makes editing on Photoshop easier. I am willing to spend up to £350-£400 on a good monitor for quality to be honest, that's one thing I definitely don't want to sacrifice on!

Will my GPU be good enough for both monitors at max resolution as well? :smile:

Thanks! Also, if you know anything about rechargable wireless keyboards and mice, please do share :biggrin: but I'm looking for those anyway because I had some old lying around in the basement :colondollar:

Thats terrible :colonhash:

Well considering you would have 4 slots........one that doesn't work, so 3 left.................worst timing, as ram prices are very high at the moment. About 16gb is close to £100, considering it was about 50-60 back in january.
http://www.ebuyer.com/search?sort=price+ascending&a00062=16&subcat=3117&cat=3&page=1

Other options are that ideally you should go for something dual channel, and 2 x 8gb or go with faster ram provided they are supported like these, but they arent low profile.

http://www.ebuyer.com/386398-g-skill-16gb-ddr3-2400mhz-tridentx-memory-f3-2400c10q-16gtx

or something cheaper and 3 way channel:
http://www.ebuyer.com/342393-crucial-12gb-ddr3-1333mhz-ballistix-sport-memory-kit-bls3cp4g3d1339ds1s00ceu

http://www.ebuyer.com/169258-kingston-12gb-ddr3-1600mhz-hyperx-genesis-xmp-memory-khx1600c9d3k3-12gx

Good deals on ram are hard to find :/

I'm not that great with monitors what about something like this http://www.ebuyer.com/389760-lg-ips234v-pn-23-led-lcd-hdmi-ips-monitor-ips234v

If you want better then look out for something with a response time of 1ms.......or look at Dell ultrasharp screens.

For max resolution, not for gaming on dual screens, but certainly other non-gaming stuff as having 2 full HD screens will take its toll.
Expect a bit more noise from the fan.

I suggest against wireless keyboards or mice, unless it also have a option for recharging and use at the same time.
Reply 71
Thats terrible :colonhash:

Well considering you would have 4 slots........one that doesn't work, so 3 left.................worst timing, as ram prices are very high at the moment. About 16gb is close to £100, considering it was about 50-60 back in january.
http://www.ebuyer.com/search?sort=price+ascending&a00062=16&subcat=3117&cat=3&page=1

Other options are that ideally you should go for something dual channel, and 2 x 8gb or go with faster ram provided they are supported like these, but they arent low profile.

http://www.ebuyer.com/386398-g-skill-16gb-ddr3-2400mhz-tridentx-memory-f3-2400c10q-16gtx

or something cheaper and 3 way channel:
http://www.ebuyer.com/342393-crucial-12gb-ddr3-1333mhz-ballistix-sport-memory-kit-bls3cp4g3d1339ds1s00ceu

http://www.ebuyer.com/169258-kingston-12gb-ddr3-1600mhz-hyperx-genesis-xmp-memory-khx1600c9d3k3-12gx

Good deals on ram are hard to find :/

I'm not that great with monitors what about something like this http://www.ebuyer.com/389760-lg-ips234v-pn-23-led-lcd-hdmi-ips-monitor-ips234v

If you want better then look out for something with a response time of 1ms.......or look at Dell ultrasharp screens.

For max resolution, not for gaming on dual screens, but certainly other non-gaming stuff as having 2 full HD screens will take its toll.
Expect a bit more noise from the fan.

I suggest against wireless keyboards or mice, unless it also have a option for recharging and use at the same time.

I've actually got 6 slots and I'm not TOO worried about spending a little bit more money than I would have a while back. An extra hundred or so is not really a big deal to me. So I have 5 slots in total because one doesn't work. So three are currently being used meaning I have two left! So does it actually matter what RAM I put into it or can anything go in, equal or better? :smile:

I'll have a look at the Dell ultrasharp screens! Thanks :smile:

As for the peripherals, yeah that's what I've got in mind! Thanks :smile:
Reply 72
Original post by Revent
I've actually got 6 slots and I'm not TOO worried about spending a little bit more money than I would have a while back. An extra hundred or so is not really a big deal to me. So I have 5 slots in total because one doesn't work. So three are currently being used meaning I have two left! So does it actually matter what RAM I put into it or can anything go in, equal or better? :smile:

I'll have a look at the Dell ultrasharp screens! Thanks :smile:

As for the peripherals, yeah that's what I've got in mind! Thanks :smile:

Thats a lot of slots :/
Just check up the mobo on the website and see what it can take and at what speed its able to utilise.

Maybe go for quad channel instead of dual channel so 4 x 4gb instead of 2 x 4gb. Or just add on another 2 x 4gb in the remaining 2 slots.
Reply 73
PC experts I would appreciate your help and expertise.

I know nothing about computers or specs or ram and all that other stuff but I do know what I need my laptop to be able to do.
I'm going to be doing uni work on it, I don't think I'll need any special programs or anything (studying chemistry). I'll be livestreaming A LOT of sporting events and downloading and watching a lot of films and tv on it so whatever helps with that would be useful. The more portable, the better but if it's not that portable I won't really be too bothered.
I want it to be easy to maintain, my current dell inspiron 1564 rejects every battery I bought and the screen is ****ed up and I'm hoping nothing like that will happen to the new one.
I would also like it to be a fast laptop, slow tech gets on my nerves unbelievably. Price erm, below £1k is good I suppose.
Thanks for the help.
Reply 74
Thats a lot of slots :/
Just check up the mobo on the website and see what it can take and at what speed its able to utilise.

Maybe go for quad channel instead of dual channel so 4 x 4gb instead of 2 x 4gb. Or just add on another 2 x 4gb in the remaining 2 slots.

Thanks! Just ended up buying 1x 8GB by accident :tongue: Thought it was 2x 4GB :lol: Just need to get a second monitor now, have everything else! :eek: Oh and also a wacom intuos 4 pen :tongue:
Hi

I need a laptop for general use and some gaming (Tomd Raider, Dragon Age, The Witcher, Sims)
What do you think about this one? And where is the best place to buy a computer?
SAMSUNG Series 5 NP540U3CProcessor
Intel® Core™ i3-3217UM processor (1.80 GHz, DMI 5 GT/s, 3 MB Cache)
Operating System
Windows 8
RAM
6 GB DDR3 (1600 MHz) (8 GB maximum installable RAM)
Graphics card
Integrated Intel® HD Graphics 4000
Screen type
300nit Anti-Reflective HD LED Display with Touch Screen Panel
Screen resolution
1366 x 768
Screen size
13.3"
Screen features
LED back-lit
Hard drive
500 GB SATA (5400 rpm) and 24 GB Expresscache SSD
Memory card reader
3-in-1 (SD, SDHC, SDXC)
USB
2 x USB 2.0
1 x USB 3.0
Modem/Ethernet
Gigabit Ethernet LAN
Reply 76
Original post by Wild_flower
Hi

I need a laptop for general use and some gaming (Tomd Raider, Dragon Age, The Witcher, Sims)
What do you think about this one? And where is the best place to buy a computer?
Operating System
Windows 8
RAM
Graphics card
Screen type
Screen resolution
1366 x 768
Screen size
13.3"
Screen features
LED back-lit
Hard drive
Memory card reader
3-in-1 (SD, SDHC, SDXC)
USB
2 x USB 2.0
1 x USB 3.0
Modem/Ethernet
Gigabit Ethernet LAN

Yeah thats a amazing deal, yes it is, very good value......pcworld especially.
HD4000 will play all your games at great settings like proper super quick and very detailed, especially that i3, its really powerful.
Buy it while you can, you can't get anything better at £600, buy it now, spend that £600.
Hi

Operating System
Windows 8
RAM
Graphics card
Screen type
Screen resolution
1366 x 768
Screen size
13.3"
Screen features
LED back-lit
Hard drive
Memory card reader
3-in-1 (SD, SDHC, SDXC)
USB
2 x USB 2.0
1 x USB 3.0
Modem/Ethernet
Gigabit Ethernet LAN

Those are very graphic intense games, you will need a dedicated graphics card to play them, and for a £600 budget should be looking at an i5 atleast.

Ultrabooks generally don't do graphics, unless you are going to be paying 1000+. The closest thing you are going to get is from the Acer M3 series like this one http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/Acer_Aspire_M3-581PTG_1362371.html.

If you don't mind having a normal laptop then these 2 are reasonable http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/Lenovo_Z580_1336880.html
http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/ASUS_N56VM-S4089V_1352938.html

and if you can extend £50 and want something much more powerful http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/MSI_CX61_Haswell_1389669.html
Hi

Operating System
Windows 8
RAM
Graphics card
Screen type
Screen resolution
1366 x 768
Screen size
13.3"
Screen features
LED back-lit
Hard drive
Memory card reader
3-in-1 (SD, SDHC, SDXC)
USB
2 x USB 2.0
1 x USB 3.0
Modem/Ethernet
Gigabit Ethernet LAN

I would be dubious about buying a pre-made laptop. custom built ones are nearly always much better price-wise for the same spec.

If you configure the following pc http://www.pcspecialist.co.uk/notebooks/enigmaIV/
you will almost certainly get a better laptop for a similar price. Especially gfx card wise.
If anyone could shed some light for me;

I'm going to be studying Computer Animation this Sept, and need a brand new Desktop,

Im a gamer, more TF2, but wouldn't mind being able to play BF3 & Skyrim if possible,

I would prefer 16GB Ram, and 2/4GB dedicated on the GFX card,

A soundcard would be liked, but not a deal breaker,

Not sure on a budget, but £550?

i know custom building is money saving, but my parents are paying for this, and they want warranty, and not me accidentally ruining a processor worth £100+

ATM, I'm talking to an eBay company about tweaking the Gfx card up a few grades;

Now With All The Following FREE Upgrades & Games!
Kingston Hyper X BEAST 1600Mhz RAM Upgrade
AMD FX6300 CPU Running at 4.0GHz Upgrade
Bioshock Infinite Game
Assassins Creed 3 Game
Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon Game
Tomb Raider Game

AMD Bulldozer FX 6100 6 Core Processor / CPU running at a blistering 3.8Ghz!
16GB DDR3 1333Mhz RAM
AMD / ATi HD 7750 Graphics Card With 1GB Dedicated DDR3 Graphics Memory
1TB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive
24x DVD-RW Optical Disc Drive
Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 Motherboard (Full specifications of this board can be found here)
High Quality Vantage RED Desktop PC Gaming Case with 3 x RED LED Fans
Powerfull 650 Watt PSU With Quiet 120mm Cooling Fan
Gigabit LAN
2 X Ultra High Speed USB 3.0 Ports on Back
4 X High Speed USB 2.0 Ports on Back PLUS Additional 2 On Top
8 Channel HD Audio
6 X SATA II 3GB/s Ports
1 X IDE Port (Supports up to 2 devices)
1 X PCI Express X16 Slot
1 X PCI Express X1 Slot
1 X PCI Slot
1 X PS/2 Port (For Keyboard / Mouse)
1 X VGA Port
1 X DVI Port
1 x HDMI Port (With Audio Passthrough Support)

Any advice, ice checked over the 6300 processor, and it's generally i5's underdog

Latest