The Student Room Group

Does it ever depress you how crappy British weather is?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by martin jol
please elaborate, that's really fascinating.

There are a healthy number of examples from British history: Caesar's ships being wrecked by winds; Napoleon having to delay an attack on Prussia (and Wellington) due to rain; I suppose you could claim that the weather was on the side of the Allies when severe cold destroyed Axis forces during Operation Barbarossa.

I should state that 'the weather has always batted on the side of the British throughout history' is absolutely a romanticised way of putting it - if you were to dig through the annals, you'd find many more situations where it went against the British. That said, we seem to get the big ones when we need them.
Original post by Moura
there's a difference between having a rant and being pointlessly miserable.

I agree, I never get pointlessly miserable or else it ends up ruining your whole day
You can't beat it! Don't you just love looking out of your window when it is raining and you are nice and warm inside!
Reply 43
Yes. I love days where it is bright and sunny. Especially when I have nothing to do and I can just enjoy the weather.

I don't mind crappy weather in the Winter. It's expected. But I just hope for a few weeks of nice weather in June/July/August time.
Reply 44
Honestly? Why I want to move out of the UK, the weather is so crap.
Reply 45
Not even slightly. I find the temperature pretty much perfect and wear a T-shirt most of the year. I feel like I'd be more suited to a colder country.

A bit more sun and a bit less rain would be nice, but I certainly wouldn't want to live in a Mediterranean climate.
Absolutely.

Esspecially where I live in the UK it is nearly always cold/wet/gloomy.

It was POURING this morning, DARK grey sky it was HORRIBLE.

However, not all of the UK is like this, I went on holiday to the English Riveria last week and it was wonderful - warm, dry and sunny every day and not a drop of rain.

So it depends where in the UK you are really...
Very very true: the flag of the British Isles should be a big grey wet handkerchief blowing about in the wind... very depressing place :-(
Reply 48
No because I like our 'miserable' weather.
I like the cold weather, so doesn't bother me, and it's quite cosy when it's grey for me. Say what you like about British weather, at least we don't get any extremes here.
Reply 50
I really dislike cold and chilly temperatures. I can barely tolerate "mild" British weather. What I really can't stand though is the monotonous grey sky we have every single day. I'm sick of it and honestly, I'm planning to leave this country as soon as I have the opportunity.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 51
WHAT DEPRESSES ME IS
god sakes ITV/BBC/Sky Weather when your doing “the weather”. I want to see my “TOWN / Area” that’s on a map . What I DONT WANT TO SEE IS whole map of Great Britain ,Europe ,Wales , Scotland , Africa or any other content including The Pacific 🌊”
As an American, it depress me cause of how crappy, you're guy's education System is. Weather, i don't think i would care. I watch a lot of U.K videos, it doesn't look that bad ;</
Reply 53
I don't particularly like the winter but I don't get all morbid about it.
Reply 54
Original post by Officer Deeznuts
As an American, it depress me cause of how crappy, you're guy's education System is. Weather, i don't think i would care. I watch a lot of U.K videos, it doesn't look that bad ;</

Mate, if you're gonna criticise education, the lest you could do is get your spelling right.
[QUOTE="gjd800;74425548"]Mate, if you're gonna criticise education, the lest you could do is get your spelling right.[/QUOTE (Criticise) It's Criticize, okay? depress, depressed. I don't like wasting my time typing on my ipad with proper grammar. You're education System should really teach you people Common f u c k i n g sense, Jesus. You poor little Goose ;(
My favourite time of year is the Spring. Not hot, not too cold, new plants. I hate the winter, because a chunk of my pension goes on heating.
I have a new appreciation for all weathers :biggrin: That does not mean I am immune to the cold though.
[QUOTE="Deeznuts;74425562" Officer="Officer"]
Original post by gjd800
Mate, if you're gonna criticise education, the lest you could do is get your spelling right.[/QUOTE (Criticise) It's Criticize, okay? depress, depressed. I don't like wasting my time typing on my ipad with proper grammar. You're education System should really teach you people Common f u c k i n g sense, Jesus. You poor little Goose ;(

In the UK, it is spelt 'criticise'. You can spell it any way you like.
You stupid British muck.

Quick Reply

Latest