The Student Room Group

Problems with landlord and heating.

Hi there
I am currently staying in a rented place in London. Only been three days but I can't hack it as it gets too cold at night time. Landlord has asked for three months payment and deposit which I have given so I can't just leave.
Apparently it does say In the contract that he will only on the heating two hours a day.
But it's getting unbearable with the cold weather.
The bill is included so legally he can control the heating but I have offered to pay for the extra cost if he leaves the heating on and he is not agreeing to that, similarly he is not allowing me to get an electric heater as per his rules.
Is he allowed to deny to on the heating system when I'm offering to pay extra or cover all the cost?
(edited 4 months ago)
Original post by M raja
Hi there
I am currently staying in a rented place in London. Only been three days but I can't hack it as it gets too cold at night time. Landlord has asked for three months payment and deposit which I have given so I can't just leave.
Apparently it does say In the contract that he will only on the heating two hours a day.
The bill is included so legally he can control the heating but I have offered to pay for the extra cost if he leaves the heating on and he is not agreeing to that, similarly he is not allowing me to get an electric heater as per his rules.
Is he allowed to deny to on the heating system when I'm offering to pay extra or cover all the cost?

Heating for two hours a day is not enough in winter. If the landlord does not live on site, I'd suggest you get a small fan heater, use it sparingly and put it out of sight when you leave the premises. Also get an electric underblanket for your bed and put it on for an hour before you go to bed - they are very cheap to run. If not, a hot water bottle might help.
If you do get a hot water bottle, I would highly recommend the type with beans inside rather than the ones that you actually fill with hot water. I know of at least two people who burnt themselves badly using the old variety and they are not worth the risk IMO.

An oil filled radiator is a good option if you need something on for longer than short bursts. they will heat a small/medium room quite easily. However if your landlord is prone to visiting they are larger and will be harder to hide away.
Original post by M raja
Hi there

Why is the landlord not letting you have the heating on longer if you are agreeing to pay for it?
Reply 4
Original post by M raja
Hi there

"Apparently it does say In the contract that he will only on the heating two hours a day" -- why do you say "apparently"? Did you not read the contract before you signed it?

It's completely unreasonable for a landlord to restrict the amount of time you have the heating on. (Whether or not it's legal -- even if it's in the contract -- is not something I'm qualified to comment on.)

You could try contacting Shelter for advice. You could also check to see if your council have a team that deal with private rented properties -- see the "How the council could help" section at https://england.shelter.org.uk/housing_advice/private_renting/complaints_about_private_landlords
London is a greedy place, sounds like a rotten landlord.
Original post by martin7
"Apparently it does say In the contract that he will only on the heating two hours a day" -- why do you say "apparently"? Did you not read the contract before you signed it?

It's completely unreasonable for a landlord to restrict the amount of time you have the heating on. (Whether or not it's legal -- even if it's in the contract -- is not something I'm qualified to comment on.)

You could try contacting Shelter for advice. You could also check to see if your council have a team that deal with private rented properties -- see the "How the council could help" section at https://england.shelter.org.uk/housing_advice/private_renting/complaints_about_private_landlords

How do landlords actually control the heating if they are not in the house?
Reply 7
Original post by Kutie Karen
How do landlords actually control the heating if they are not in the house?

Could be a lodger in the house the landlord is living in... Wouldnt expect this sort of problem otherwise.
Reply 8
Anyhoo if you want to challenge your landlord Id get a cheap room thermometer and start making a temperature diary.

'It was 12 degrees C in my room all last week' will carry more weight than 'I felt chilly'
Original post by Joinedup
Could be a lodger in the house the landlord is living in... Wouldnt expect this sort of problem otherwise.

i didn't get that impression which is i was wondering how the landlord can control the heating. there must be a way otherwise those with bills including could have the heating on 24/7 and landlord would be stuck
Reply 10
Original post by Kutie Karen
i didn't get that impression which is i was wondering how the landlord can control the heating. there must be a way otherwise those with bills including could have the heating on 24/7 and landlord would be stuck

suppose there could be a timeswitch in a locked cupboard - or these days some sort of internet smart controller... or there are crappy old economy 7 block storage heaters that OP doesn't understand.

Seems weird though - IMO landlords are usually more interested in kicking back and watching the work free money roll in than constantly attempting to micromanage their tenants.
What you need to do is get a room thermometer, and take pictures of it throughout the day and keep a record.

The following is a must from a landlord:
The property must be able to maintain a temperature of at least 18°C in sleeping rooms and 21°C in living rooms when the temperature outside is minus 1°C.

Obviously individually you may be feeling alot more cold, for this sadly there is no solution if the above is been covered apart from getting more layers on.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending