The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

Does this still go on at Exeter University

Does this still go on at Exeter University?

th.jpg
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

More like boring rich snobby white people
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
More like boring rich snobby white people

Why do they choose Exeter? Kind of away from the clubbing and bar scene?
In every university you'll get groups of people who will dress up like that and party....

Is this some standard sports social? No.

Original post by StarLinyx
Why do they choose Exeter? Kind of away from the clubbing and bar scene?

It's partly myth, partly true. You get 'posh' people everywhere, and you can easily go through your life at Exeter without meeting being in those social circles. Exeter has a good clubbing scene, it's all students which is why it's popular to a lot of people. There are accommodations that are more expensive and so 'house' more of the 'rich', 'snobby' etc. but that's not to say everyone is like that, or everyone who is rich is a bad person.
Reply 4
Is this the Safer Sex Ball where everyone dressed 'up' in underwear (the guy's actually kinda overdressed lol)? I think it got banned (I'm not longer at uni, but it was still going on in my time) and is no longer going on.
Original post by Gatlema
Is this the Safer Sex Ball where everyone dressed 'up' in underwear (the guy's actually kinda overdressed lol)? I think it got banned (I'm not longer at uni, but it was still going on in my time) and is no longer going on.

It was banned the year after I started, due to some students having sex on CCTV in the forum somewhere, ostensibly.

It probably should've been banned sooner since as I understand aside from the general alcohol abuse and potential issues that stemmed from that, usually at least one group would go in black face...

No idea if they ever brought it back after I left though.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by artful_lounger
It was banned the year after I started, due to some students having sex on CCTV in the forum somewhere, ostensibly.

It probably should've been banned sooner since as I understand aside from the general alcohol abuse and potential issues that stemmed from that, usually at least one group would go in black face...

Only banned then? What kind of message does this send out to the World when considering a UK university? I know Durham also had something similar and the uni got involved.
Original post by Gatlema

Original post by artful_lounger

It got ‘banned’ in that it couldn’t be held in Exeter, but the past two years it was held in Torquay. They hired loads of double decker busses to ferry people down...
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by EricAteYou
It got ‘banned’ in that it couldn’t be held in Exeter, but the past two years it was held in Torquay. They hired loads of double decker busses to ferry people down...

That is completely bonkers. These clowns probably dreamed this up whilst at boarding school.
That is completely bonkers. These clowns probably dreamed this up whilst at boarding school.

Can I ask why you're so against it?
Reply 10
Can I ask why you're so against it?

It encourages laddish and loutish behaviour. And it tarnishes the reputation of the uni, and uni life generally.
It encourages laddish and loutish behaviour. And it tarnishes the reputation of the uni, and uni life generally.

Maybe, but 'laddish' behaviour happens anyway, and it's not like the girls aren't going for the same reason.
And I wouldn't say it damages the uni's reputation that much, if it does it's not really the concern of the students. It sounds pretty fun in my opinion, I'd go.
Reply 12
Maybe, but 'laddish' behaviour happens anyway, and it's not like the girls aren't going for the same reason.
And I wouldn't say it damages the uni's reputation that much, if it does it's not really the concern of the students. It sounds pretty fun in my opinion, I'd go.

If any of the ladies get raped, then don't come crying to the uni for help. Even the police wouldn't be too impressed.
(edited 3 years ago)
If any of the ladies get raped, then don't come crying to the uni for help. Even the police wouldn't be too impressed.

I can't believe I have to explain this to who I assume is an adult, but wearing less clothes does not equal consent. A r*pist will r*pe regardless of whether their victim is stark naked or fully covered, it makes no difference and it's worrying that you would suggest otherwise.
Reply 14
I can't believe I have to explain this to who I assume is an adult, but wearing less clothes does not equal consent. A r*pist will r*pe regardless of whether their victim is stark naked or fully covered, it makes no difference and it's worrying that you would suggest otherwise.

What are you waffling about? You have to set the right example from the start. Things can easily get out of hand in these situations where a sex themed party and alcohol are involved, not to mention the young age of the participants.
(edited 3 years ago)

I don't understand this victim blaming mentality?

I went in my first year, and it was great. In no way did it encourage laddish behaviour. Yeah, there were a few people who were creeps, but the large majority of people that went? They partied with their friends, with a great DJ, for what was a fun unique night.

Also, I'm not 'rich', I didn't go to boarding school or anything like that... I don't understand where this mentality of victim blaming, or assuming that everyone in Exeter is rich or went to boarding school has come from, but it's false and harmful.
Reply 16
I don't understand this victim blaming mentality?

I went in my first year, and it was great. In no way did it encourage laddish behaviour. Yeah, there were a few people who were creeps, but the large majority of people that went? They partied with their friends, with a great DJ, for what was a fun unique night.

Also, I'm not 'rich', I didn't go to boarding school or anything like that... I don't understand where this mentality of victim blaming, or assuming that everyone in Exeter is rich or went to boarding school has come from, but it's false and harmful.

Are you a male?
Are you a male?

I am yep. I went in a group with two males and five females.
Reply 18
I am yep. I went in a group with two males and five females.

Was there tight security to look after the welfare of females? Bouncers?
Was there tight security to look after the welfare of females? Bouncers?

There was very tight security, so much so that you couldn't leave the venue basically. Lots of bouncers everywhere.

Did this help the welfare of girls over and above any other night? I don't know. It was two years ago, and it's not something I really considered when I went. I don't doubt that there were sadly instances of creeps, probably fulled by instances of laddish behaviour. But as stated, over and above any other night? Who knows. This is so much more of a wider problem, not one exacerbated or caused by events like SSB.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending