The Student Room Group

Morality: Stealing to Feed your Children

Scroll to see replies

Original post by popo23
Yes. Taking someone's property is wrong no matter what. I now people might side with the poor father, but that doesn't mean his act was right.

Well I personally dont believe in an objective morality. Seeing how our morals have changed so much over the centuries and vary over countries it's hard to think how you believe there is? An objective morality by definition would never change.
Reply 21
Original post by ChocoCoatedLemons
No. The life of one child is not equal to the lives of one thousand children combined.

Is human life just mere statistics to you?:confused:
Original post by popo23
Is human life just mere statistics to you?:confused:

I'm rational.

In which way can one child life be worth that of a thousand? Please explain.

If by killing one child you save a thousand, that's perfectly rational. Better that then letting a thousand be killed.
Reply 23
Original post by LeonVII
Well I personally dont believe in an objective morality. Seeing how our morals have changed so much over the centuries and vary over countries it's hard to think how you believe there is? An objective morality by definition would never change.

The objective morality I follow is "Don't do unto others what you wouldn't want to be done to you".

This pretty much covers murder, rape, theft. Acts which I believe are evil no matter what the context is.
Reply 24
I'm rational.

If by killing one child you save a thousand, that's perfectly rational. Better that then letting a thousand be killed.

What if that child was yours or the child was you yourself, would you still stick to your "rational argument"?

Also the question that arises, if you stick to your viewpoint, is how do you measure the value of human life? Is it just numbers or how much benefit you think each child can bring to humanity by sparing his or her life?
Original post by popo23
What if that child was yours or the child was you yourself, would you still stick to your "rational argument"?

Also the question that arises, if you stick to your viewpoint, is how do you measure the value of human life? Is it just numbers or how much benefit you think each child can bring to humanity by sparing his or her life?

Rational thinking obviously does not cover personal involvement with the child. :rolleyes: Obviously, thinking rationally would go out of the window if it was my own child.

Depends. In a case of 1 v 1000, they must obviously both be from, say, a first world country, otherwise it becomes radically unequal anyway in terms of how long they'd live afterwards, how much they can contribute etc.
Reply 26
I'm rational.

Like I said before I don't believe we should ever consider using our fellow human beings as tools towards a goal that we think is somehow more valuable than they are. You shouldn't deny an individual's dignity even if means saving others.

Question: Do you support torture of terror suspects?
Reply 27
It still seems to me that if morality is subjective then there really is no point in debating or discussing morality at all. If there are no moral truths, then any discussion is essentially just a waste of time.

Subjective morality essentially amounts to subjective preferences and opinions - everyone has their own idea of what is right and what is wrong. Since there is no objective truth regarding morals, there clearly is no standard by which to measure these subjective moral codes. So why should I ever even bother listening to other people's opinions that have nothing to do with the truth?

In such a world, we either agree to disagree, vote by consensus or the stronger party imposes their views on the weaker party. Regardless, we can't ever say that someone's moral compass is wrong, because that implies that a moral compass can be right. And if a moral compass can be either right or wrong, then we are no longer taking a subjective view - we are actively making objective moral judgements. It doesn't make sense to say that someone's subjective view is wrong any more than saying that someone's taste in music is wrong.

Anyway, as I favor deontological ethics I would say that stealing is always wrong regardless of the consequences. Just because you or your family are in a pickle - that doesn't give you the right to violate the right's of a third person regardless of the degree of the violation. I believe in the principle that doing immoral things for the greater good is always wrong. A good result can't ever justify evil actions.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 28
I can understand someone doing it, I'd most likely do it myself however it must be stopped regardless because society would collapse otherwise. So maybe give them a more lenient punishment if caught I dunno but they still have to be stopped.
Original post by popo23
Like I said before I don't believe we should ever consider using our fellow human beings as tools towards a goal that we think is somehow more valuable than they are. You shouldn't deny an individual's dignity even if means saving others.

Question: Do you support torture of terror suspects?

But then you're "denying the dignity" of the thousand other children. How is that fair or justified?

No, I don't. Depends of course on the exact circumstances, but on a whole, no.
Reply 30
Rational thinking obviously does not cover personal involvement with the child. :rolleyes: Obviously, thinking rationally would go out of the window if it was my own child.

Depends. In a case of 1 v 1000, they must obviously both be from, say, a first world country, otherwise it becomes radically unequal anyway in terms of how long they'd live afterwards, how much they can contribute etc.

For example, is a child born to parents who are both nobel laureates in physics more valuable to a child born to parents who both failed school and are a burden to the state (in terms of income support)?
Original post by popo23
For example, is a child born to parents who are both nobel laureates in physics more valuable to a child born to parents who both failed school and are a burden to the state (in terms of income support)?

Interesting. That's assuming the children will both follow in their parents' footsteps - not necessarily true.

No. Both lives = 1. I'm not saying I wouldn't be able to make a choice between who lives and dies, but that's not the same as saying they're actually more valuable.
Reply 32
But then you're "denying the dignity" of the thousand other children. How is that fair or justified?

No, I don't. Depends of course on the exact circumstances, but on a whole, no.

I have not denied their dignity. For example, a man takes 12 children hostage inside a school and demands from the police officer, who he is communicated with, that he will let go these children on the condition that the police officer kills a random child? Has the police officer committed murder in your eyes by not complying with the hostage taker? Has he denied justice to the children inside the school?
Reply 33
Interesting. That's assuming the children will both follow in their parents' footsteps - not necessarily true.

No. Both lives = 1. I'm not saying I wouldn't be able to make a choice between who lives and dies, but that's not the same as saying they're actually more valuable.

If you try to measure human life by giving it a price, wouldn't these issues come up? I mean is the life of the child of nobel laureates more valuable than the lives of a 1000 children born to parents with learning disabilities?
Reply 34
Is a athletically gifted and super smart child more deserving of life than a scum bug chav? I think so

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by popo23
I have not denied their dignity. For example, a man takes 12 children hostage inside a school and demands from the police officer, who he is communicated with, that he will let go these children on the condition that the police officer kills a random child? Has the police officer committed murder in your eyes by not complying with the hostage taker? Has he denied justice to the children inside the school?

If it could be somehow proven that those twelve children will DEFINATELY be let go (which of course is impossible but this is all hypothetical), then the twelve should be saved and one should die. He has not committed murder as he did not kill them.

That situation takes into account too many variables though, which is why hypotheticals are much better to deal with in these discussions.
Original post by popo23
If you try to measure human life by giving it a price, wouldn't these issues come up? I mean is the life of the child of nobel laureates more valuable than the lives of a 1000 children born to parents with learning disabilities?

Well, no. What chance is there I'll ever be in this situation?

No. 1/=1000. There is no guarantee of what the children will achieve.
Reply 37
Original post by Jacob :)
I think people don't talk about morality enough. It is one of the most engaging, thought provoking and difficult subjects around and think most people would benefit from discussing it more. I'd like to make some threads to talk about certain issues of morality. Plus it might spice up the Philosophy sub forum. God, it needs it!

So this thought experiment will question is mostly concerning the effect of context on morality and the implication of 'harm' on morality. It will look at the morality of an individual action in isolation and considering all its affects. It will also look on intent and its consideration on morality.

So, a man and his family are dying of hunger. It's because of reasons beyond his control, ability to predict and even comprehend. He is blameless for their starvation. He has no wife but a wide eyed child. Wide eyed children are the hungriest! He goes to the local baker and steals a loaf of bread to feed his family.

Was this action immoral?

Firstly, consider the basic act and any intrinsic morality. Is it wrong to steal? Is it wrong to steal in any circumstances?

Next, consider the the act of allowing a child to starve when you can prevent it.

Quickly, I see the question becomes a balance of which act is worse. Which is the lesser of two evils.

However I believe it is impossible to compare the acts severity without considering the 'harm' done. Obviously there is great harm in letting a child but what is the harm in stealing a loaf of bread? Lets think of the possibilities.

If the baker is part of a nationwide chain of businesses the harm done is almost certainly minor. He is paid the same wage regardless of if the bread is stolen. The only harm done is a matter of a few pence from the company owners final profit list. Something it is unlikely anyone will even notice. Still not a good thing but not an evil one.

Now consider if it is a small family buisiness. The baker is struggling to make ends meet. The loss of the bread is the straw that breaks his budget and his buisiness goes under. The man has lost his job, his source of income and his ability to provide for his family.

An identical act can causes a very different amount of harm.

So in deciding on which act is more immoral it is impossible to say without looking at context. Which will cause greater harm? It is impossible to fully judge an act's morality without knowing the harm it causes. Nothing is intrinsically immoral.

Now lets look at one more possible outcome. The baker realises the bread it gone. The loaf was a special loaf for his mother. He is so ashamed to have lost it he kills himself. An overeaction and ridiculous I know but bear with it for our thought experiment.

So, through his action of stealing the bread the man has caused the death of the baker. However it was not his intention to, he did not even know that the act could cause it, so does that make the act itself any more immoral. If the man had stolen the bread WITH the intention of causing the baker it certainly is far more immoral.

Intent plays a massive role in determining if an action is immoral.

So is the act of stealing to feed his family immoral at all? If his intent is not to harm the baker in any way, it is only to save his child, is it immoral on his part? I think the theft is as an isolated incident. Regardless of not wanting to harm it is still an act that causes harm that the man is aware of. However his action is a choice between allowing a greater harm to happen by not causing what is likely to be a very small one.

But this being another moral problem! The man acts to prevent an evil by committing an evil. Although I believe he is right to do so how far can that go? Can the man save his daughters life by stealing, punching, enslaving, raping, killing? At what point does the evil committed become more evil than the on prevented? Surely it is not ok to rape a random, innocent girl to save another? (Don't ask me when that would happen! It's all theoretical!)

Man that's a lot to think about. If you've stuck with it to the end well done. I almost didn't! I'd love to hear what everyone else thinks whether you think differently or the same or whatever.

Thanks!

Morality is an entirely subjective thing. So rather than the guy debating about it he should just do what feels right. Not everyone will agree and not everyone will disagree. You can't look for rules where there aren't any.
There's always a difference between what is morally correct in abstract principle (stealing is clearly wrong in general terms) and the conditions that arise in situational extremes, such as OPs 'starving child' scenario. Stealing may be wrong, but it also may be necessary sometimes due to higher considerations. The life of a child matters more than the preservation of the rules of private property. Local ethics also matter in these situations. If my child was starving, I might still (I hope) hesitate before taking bread from another hungry person. You just have to hope you are never put in such situations.
Reply 39
If it could be somehow proven that those twelve children will DEFINATELY be let go (which of course is impossible but this is all hypothetical), then the twelve should be saved and one should die. He has not committed murder as he did not kill them.

That situation takes into account too many variables though, which is why hypotheticals are much better to deal with in these discussions.

In this situation he has committed murder. He just killed a random child to save twelve.

Change of scenario. If you believe morality is subjective and that there is no such thing as objective morality? Would you be in favour of killing of severely disabled individuals because of the emotional burden they impose on their loved ones and financial burden on the state? If not, why? After all we put in more than we get out? And would you regard a country which implements these measures as evil or would you just brush it off as "difference of opinion"?
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending