The Student Room Group

College

I’ve nearly finished secondary school as I will be taking my exams in 2024 and I need to start thinking what I would like to do in college . I’m thinking childcare as I did work placement in a primary school and I loved helping the children and I love playing with young children like my little sister so I’d love to do childcare in college but I’ve not done it in school and I’m not sure If I would like to do it or not . Also am not sure whether to do an apprenticeship or a course ? Any advice would help x
Reply 1
Original post by Amylongthorne
I’ve nearly finished secondary school as I will be taking my exams in 2024 and I need to start thinking what I would like to do in college . I’m thinking childcare as I did work placement in a primary school and I loved helping the children and I love playing with young children like my little sister so I’d love to do childcare in college but I’ve not done it in school and I’m not sure If I would like to do it or not . Also am not sure whether to do an apprenticeship or a course ? Any advice would help x

Get some more work experience but rather than just hanging about, shadow one of the workers. Nursery work is much more than just playing with kids. There will be planning and of course there is all the nappy changing and cleaning you also have to do.
Reply 2
What Hotpud said and also observations, maintaining equipment, feeding, changing/potty training (general hygiene), reports back to the parents and other admin. Often long days and very underpaid.

I did Childcare and education at college but didn't do it at school. I loved the course and the placements I did. However, I struggled to find a job after qualifying (this was almost 20 years ago though) and when I eventually did, I ended up hating it - I also earned more at McDonald's.

Definitely try to get some further voluntary work or shadowing secured, in both school and private nursery settings - if you do the course route you will spend time with very small children as you have to have a range of ages. I think either route is fine, I had to do it via college because at the time apprenticeships were rare and would only train you to level 2.
Reply 3
Original post by Amylongthorne

If you're capable you should probably aim higher than that. My mum has been a Nursery Nurse most of her life and she works very long hours depending on the job with not very high pay. Can be very exhausting if that's what you do your whole life

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending