The Student Room Group

What happens when a person with anorexia has a baby?

Would you expect them to restrict their children's caloric intake because they restrict themselves?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
Would you expect them to restrict their children's caloric intake because they restrict themselves?

If they got help for anorexia during the pregnancy I'd assume not. It would probably be easy to spot if a parent was restricting a baby's diet which would raise concerns of medical professionals during health checkups.
Reply 2
If they got help for anorexia during the pregnancy I'd assume not. It would probably be easy to spot if a parent was restricting a baby's diet which would raise concerns of medical professionals during health checkups.

But how, my mum is overweight and I am underweight and have been since birth as I was born with a genetic disorder. They did threaten to take me away from my mum because they knew I wasn't eating enough but I was eating little amounts due to my genetic disorder as a baby.
Reply 3
I would expect them to struggle to have a baby in the first place
Reply 4
Original post by black tea
I would expect them to struggle to have a baby in the first place

But say they did and it was a high risk pregnancy but they were still able to?

I suppose you should ask yourself how would you take care of someone else when you can't even take care of yourself
Reply 5
But say they did and it was a high risk pregnancy but they were still able to?

I suppose you should ask yourself how would you take care of someone else when you can't even take care of yourself

I wouldn't go ahead and have a baby if I couldn't look after myset
Reply 6

But say they did miraculously have a baby despite having anorexia (some people say you can't let your health issues define you), like whether they give birth or adopt or whatever, would you expect them to restrict their baby's intake because they restrict themselves?

Putting weight on is almost certainly going to happen if you got pregnant anyway.
Reply 7
My mum was recovering from anorexia when she had me. She managed to cope throught pregnancy reasonably well, i think because of her love for children, she didnt want to harm me. I was born a healthy weight but after i was born she relapsed and became very ill. It depends on the person.
i imagine child services would somehow find out if the mother was anorexic and make her get help and keep watching the family closely
Reply 9
But say they did miraculously have a baby despite having anorexia (some people say you can't let your health issues define you), like whether they give birth or adopt or whatever, would you expect them to restrict their baby's intake because they restrict themselves?

Putting weight on is almost certainly going to happen if you got pregnant anyway.

Have you looked after many babies? They scream when they are hungry and if they are keeping you awake with their screaming 24/7, 7 days a week, you will do anything to shut them up, including feeding them regardless of what your own views on food are... But the answer to your question is obvious - some people will restrict their children's intake and others won't.

Yes, putting on weight is a thing with pregnancy. But if you can't get pregnant in the first place, you clearly won't gain weight due

I think it's less about letting the health issues define you and more about how the health issues affect your body.

Anorexia can affect your menstrual cycle as I understand it, which will in turn potentially affect your fertility while you are malnourished - so you may struggle to become pregnant in the first place. Even if someone with anorexia did become pregnant, the anorexia, particularly if it continued throughout the pregnancy, might lead to issues in the pregnancy, which may lead to e.g. problems with the foetal development, risk of miscarriage etc.

If you suffer from anorexia but are trying to become pregnant, this is something you should probably discuss with your GP to understand the risks - both for you and the child (both in the short and long run).
(edited 10 months ago)
This is one of those questions it's not really possible to answer without knowing a lot more about the person in general, (and even then you need to speak to medical professional, not internet randos). ED's come in many varieties so for example if someone's focus was on feeling full or the desire to purge, they may not have any trouble feeding someone else under their care. Conversely if they struggled with portion sizes or regular meals then yes, it could be very challenging for them to look after a child.
Have you looked after many babies? They scream when they are hungry and if they are keeping you awake with their screaming 24/7, 7 days a week, you will do anything to shut them up, including feeding them regardless of what your own views on food are... But the answer to your question is obvious - some people will restrict their children's intake and others won't.

Yes, putting on weight is a thing with pregnancy. But if you can't get pregnant in the first place, you clearly won't gain weight due

Original post by artful_lounger
I think it's less about letting the health issues define you and more about how the health issues affect your body.

Anorexia can affect your menstrual cycle as I understand it, which will in turn potentially affect your fertility while you are malnourished - so you may struggle to become pregnant in the first place. Even if someone with anorexia did become pregnant, the anorexia, particularly if it continued throughout the pregnancy, might lead to issues in the pregnancy, which may lead to e.g. problems with the foetal development, risk of miscarriage etc.

If you suffer from anorexia but are trying to become pregnant, this is something you should probably discuss with your GP to understand the risks - both for you and the child (both in the short and long run).

Original post by Admit-One
This is one of those questions it's not really possible to answer without knowing a lot more about the person in general, (and even then you need to speak to medical professional, not internet randos). ED's come in many varieties so for example if someone's focus was on feeling full or the desire to purge, they may not have any trouble feeding someone else under their care. Conversely if they struggled with portion sizes or regular meals then yes, it could be very challenging for them to look after a child.

PRSOM
Reply 13
Because I eat slow myself due to my genetic disorder and eating disorder, if I ever had a baby I would feed them slow too and "take the whole day" feeding them.
Reply 14

Would you expect someone who also eats slow to feed their children slowly too?
Reply 15

Would you say someone with anorexia or any eating disorder can't take care of themselves though?

I would think just because they have anorexia doesn't mean they can't be independent and take care of themselves and do everything a normal person does, they just don't eat properly.
Reply 16
I ate small amounts when I was a baby and I didn't grow well due to my genetic condition but they didn't suspect my mum of restricting my caloric intake.
Because I eat slow myself due to my genetic disorder and eating disorder, if I ever had a baby I would feed them slow too and "take the whole day" feeding them.

fortunately most babies and toddlers graze throughout the day so this would be fine, it would just be a bad habit when they grow up, leading to them snacking constantly and not eating full meals, this would easily make them gain weight
Reply 18
Original post by coolperson02
fortunately most babies and toddlers graze throughout the day so this would be fine, it would just be a bad habit when they grow up, leading to them snacking constantly and not eating full meals, this would easily make them gain weight

Why would gaining weight be a bad thing? The aim is to get them to the healthy weight scale.

Having one meal or however many meals slowly throughout the day like I do won't make you put on weight.
Reply 19
Why would gaining weight be a bad thing? The aim is to get them to the healthy weight scale.

Having one meal or however many meals slowly throughout the day like I do won't make you put on weight.

depends on meal
JF ZAK

Quick Reply

Latest