The Student Room Group

OCR 21st century P7 exam 24th June

Scroll to see replies

Original post by wahidur123
Same i wrote that aswell and that the stars are fixed in the sky but the moon and sun change position

Same - then once I'd spoken to people I realised mentioning the two terms "right ascension" and "declination" would probably have got me the 2 marks...

They should've made that question much clearer; ambiguity is so frustrating
Reply 281
Original post by The Room Student
Same - then once I'd spoken to people I realised mentioning the two terms "right ascension" and "declination" would probably have got me the 2 marks...

They should've made that question much clearer; ambiguity is so frustrating

I think that question was quite clear? Wasn't it: How do astronomers describe the position of stars/moon/sun in the sky? Nothing really ambiguous about that if you revised the celestial sphere
Original post by jjpneed
I think that question was quite clear? Wasn't it: How do astronomers describe the position of stars/moon/sun in the sky? Nothing really ambiguous about that if you revised the celestial sphere

No I still think some of the questions were vague and confusing however I did put in astronomers using the celestial sphere, pole star, right ascension and declination. I'm not sure if I was right though...
Reply 283
Original post by mattmejevie
No I still think some of the questions were vague and confusing however I did put in astronomers using the celestial sphere, pole star, right ascension and declination. I'm not sure if I was right though...

Just because they didn't give away the answer in the question doesn't necessarily make it vague. Just requires an ounce of additional thought.
Original post by SklIsMentalAbuse
But it also had an option for highest point at which the Sun is..which would've been 12 hours right? Hence less time than the other options?? My thoughts, all I know is that I've probably done really badly :/

I put that, too... I suppose it made the most sense, although I did put the time for the sun to appear in the same place to begin with...phew
Original post by boxedpotatoes
Damn :frown:
I did, top: red supergiant
second: red giant
third: main sequence
bottom: white dwarf

Even though I knew red supergiants and giants were the same one!
Sigh :/

So did I, because although the cgp grouped them together our teacher dreww them seperately. Unfortunatly I couldnt remember which way round they went :frown:
Original post by jjpneed
Just because they didn't give away the answer in the question doesn't necessarily make it vague. Just requires an ounce of additional thought.

What do you mean give the answer away? I don't expect them to give the answer away in the question, what I'm saying is that the question wasn't very clear and I wasn't sure what they were asking for. Is that ok with you?
Reply 287
Original post by mattmejevie
What do you mean give the answer away? I don't expect them to give the answer away in the question, what I'm saying is that the question wasn't very clear and I wasn't sure what they were asking for. Is that ok with you?

Not sure why you're being so defensive. I'm okay with you not being sure what they were asking for, but I disagree with your assertion that the question was vague.
Original post by whizzkid24601
So did I, because although the cgp grouped them together our teacher dreww them seperately. Unfortunatly I couldnt remember which way round they went :frown:

Well that's lucky! I'd just learnt it from the cgp book and guessed! :frown:
Apparently it's right though :smile: so did you get them mixed up or not?
I'm sure you did fine though, you'll have only lost one mark :smile:
Original post by whizzkid24601
You should know that the red supergiant would be hotter because it can fuse larger nuclei, therefore it would obviously be the top one.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending