The Student Room Group

Books to read and things to do before a Chemistry degree?

I'm going to do Chemistry (hopefully(!)) in October at either Imperial or York. I was wondering if there is anything I should do to supplement my learning before I go to university.

I was thinking of buying some Oxford Primers, but they're expensive. I have an organic Chemistry textbook (1500 pages or so), and organic is my sort of "middle" bit of chemistry, I prefer inorganic, don't like physical...

Can anyone recommend anything else? Also, anyone who has some oxford primers they want to sell and/or can tell me which primers they've used and liked? I've heard they can be a bit hit and miss, and £15 for 100 pages isn't exactly cheap, so I don't want to waste my money!!

As I've said, I'm very interested in inorganic (and analysis), quite enjoy organic stuff, mostly the experiments though, although I do love mechanisms, and physical is a bit.. y'know.

Scroll to see replies

Do you think Imperial will send us a reading list?
Reply 2
Original post by chignesh10

Probably after (and if!) we get a place, and even then it will just be the textbook's we need, not recommended reading I think, that's why I'd like to see what people recommend!
Original post by Funtry
Probably after (and if!) we get a place, and even then it will just be the textbook's we need, not recommended reading I think, that's why I'd like to see what people recommend!

Ah OK, sorry. Hmmm, you have probably read Why Chemical Reactions happen, right?
Reply 4
Ah OK, sorry. Hmmm, you have probably read Why Chemical Reactions happen, right?

I've read half of my teacher's one before my Imperial interview, it had scrawls in it from one of the authors though, as he was taught by my teacher, but I didn't understand a lot of it as I hadn't done any phys chem by then bar f321, which doesn't count..
Original post by Funtry
I've read half of my teacher's one before my Imperial interview, it had scrawls in it from one of the authors though, as he was taught by my teacher, but I didn't understand a lot of it as I hadn't done any phys chem by then bar f321, which doesn't count..

Ah OK , fair enough. Now that you have done the A level, would you give it a go?
Reply 6
1500 pages of organic sounds like Clayden, and you could always just plough through the first few chapters of that to familiarize yourself with some important organic chemistry* if you're feeling keen. Otherwise, I wouldn't worry about it; just enjoy the summer there'll be plenty of time to work once you've started! :smile:

*Particularly substitution and elimination reactions, alkene chemistry, and carbonyl chemistry.
Reply 7
Ah OK , fair enough. Now that you have done the A level, would you give it a go?

may do, it's 20 quid though!
Reply 8
Original post by BJack
1500 pages of organic sounds like Clayden, and you could always just plough through the first few chapters of that to familiarize yourself with some important organic chemistry* if you're feeling keen. Otherwise, I wouldn't worry about it; just enjoy the summer there'll be plenty of time to work once you've started! :smile:

*Particularly substitution and elimination reactions, alkene chemistry, and carbonyl chemistry.

it is, I call it Wothers though as I've seen him lecture before :smile:

Thank you! I do need to brush up on all those to be honest, it is however the 2001 version, will that put me at a disadvantage with regards to it all, or will it all be the same? (I know the answer, just confirmation haha!).
Reply 9

I take it Imperial's your firm choice? What is your insurance? :smile:
Reply 10
I read some bits of Why Chemical Reactions Happen before my interviews, and I might read a bit more before the course as it may make some sense this time.

Ooooorrr you could take some time off (I think it's called a holiday), maybe take up a hobby? :wink:
Reply 11
Original post by Funtry
it is, I call it Wothers though as I've seen him lecture before :smile:

Thank you! I do need to brush up on all those to be honest, it is however the 2001 version, will that put me at a disadvantage with regards to it all, or will it all be the same? (I know the answer, just confirmation haha!).

Don't call it Wothers; he's been dropped from the list of authors for the newest edition! :tongue: The second edition certainly looks like an improvement on what you've got but that shouldn't matter too much. You will eventually need to refer to other sources to fill in gaps or extend your knowledge whichever version you have.
Original post by SaFa1237
I take it Imperial's your firm choice? What is your insurance? :smile:

Yeah Imperial is my firm, although if I don't get the A* in chemistry I will be joining you at UCL :biggrin:

Edit: just realised you may not be going to UCL! What is your firm and insurance?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 13
Yeah Imperial is my firm, although if I don't get the A* in chemistry I will be joining you at UCL :biggrin:

I doubt I'll be going there. The CHEM5 exam was brutal. Mcdonalds here I come!
Original post by SaFa1237
I doubt I'll be going there. The CHEM5 exam was brutal. Mcdonalds here I come!

Haha, well if everyone else found it hard then it shouldn't be too bad then!
Reply 15
Haha, well if everyone else found it hard then it shouldn't be too bad then!

Hopefully the grade boundaries will be really low. How did your exams go? Are there any books you plan on reading? :smile:
Reply 16
Original post by Minumi
I read some bits of Why Chemical Reactions Happen before my interviews, and I might read a bit more before the course as it may make some sense this time.

Ooooorrr you could take some time off (I think it's called a holiday), maybe take up a hobby? :wink:

I am, I'm having loads of time off, I just feel lazy on days where I'm not doing anything, and don't enjoy my time :frown: I'll probably only be doing this for a few days, as I have work and I'm seeing mate pretty much all the way through the summer holiday!!
Reply 17
Original post by BJack
Don't call it Wothers; he's been dropped from the list of authors for the newest edition! :tongue: The second edition certainly looks like an improvement on what you've got but that shouldn't matter too much. You will eventually need to refer to other sources to fill in gaps or extend your knowledge whichever version you have.

Oh.. Well that's awkward. Thanks though, I'll stick with this then, it saves me a good £50 or however much it's worth!
Reply 18
Original post by Funtry
I am, I'm having loads of time off, I just feel lazy on days where I'm not doing anything, and don't enjoy my time :frown: I'll probably only be doing this for a few days, as I have work and I'm seeing mate pretty much all the way through the summer holiday!!

That's a good point actually. I finished exams on thursday and now I don't really know what to do with myself :s-smilie: feel like I should be doing something productive! Just need a bit of creativity, it's going to be a loooong summer
IMO Why Chemical Reactions Happen is the best bridge between A-level and degree chemistry there is. It's integrated as well - organic, inorganic and physical all together.

A used copy from Amazon or eBay will be the cheapest :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest