Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How long does it take for sleep deprivation to kill?

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Say if you go night after night without sleeping and only keep yourself awake with red bull , say if it is impossible for you to sleep.
    How long would that take to kill someone? Days? Weeks?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I believe it's 13 days or something like that. Please don't try and kill yourself via sleep deprivation, it won't be a pleasant way to go.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Don't think there has ever been a case of a human dying from sleep deprivation, there was a study done in the 1980's with rats where the researchers kept them awake all the time and it took 32 days before all the rats were dead however it wasn't actually proven how the rats actually died as there were three general lines of thoughts of what caused their death, could have been hypothermia, stress or immune system failure however all three would have been caused by the severe sleep deprivation.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Darth Stewie)
    Don't think there has ever been a case of a human dying from sleep deprivation, there was a study done in the 1980's with rats where the researchers kept them awake all the time and it took 32 days before all the rats were dead however it wasn't actually proven how the rats actually died as there were three general lines of thoughts of what caused their death, could have been hypothermia, stress or immune system failure.
    but i recalled that people were serenaded in some jails for information
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    It depends on the person I think. If you have strong willpower to stay alive then that makes a difference. I think someone was conducting an experiment on sleep deprivation and they found a person who stayed alive for 11 days without sleep. But as little as 5 sleepless days were needed to cause him to have hallucinations, delusions etc.
    I think it may have also been used as a torture technique for some prisoners.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angelooo)
    I believe it's 13 days or something like that. Please don't try and kill yourself via sleep deprivation, it won't be a pleasant way to go.
    I'm not trying to kill myself , I don't want to die. I was wondering though...
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bottled)
    but i recalled that people were serenaded in some jails for information
    It is a pretty common torture technique (keeping someone awake for days) mainly because you can do it for prolonged periods without inflicting any serious physical damage on someone (as soon as you get a good sleep you pretty much go back to normal). I'm sure if the Americans wanted to kill them by sleep deprivation they probably could however i would imagine it isn't as easy as playing loud noises constantly as eventually humans go into a state where they microsleep so you would effectively need to inflict pain or serious agony every second (maybe even more) to stop it from occurring.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angelooo)
    No it's not. No one has actually died from sleep deprivation, only from accidents caused by sleep deprivation.

Randy Gardner stayed awake for 11 days holding the record I think. He suffered no long term effects but during the 11 days he did suffer from mood changes and hallucinations etc.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    People can and indeed die from sleep deprivation. There is a disease called Fatal Familial Insomnia. Suferers of this disorder can't seem to get into stages of deep sleep, and start experiencing confusion and hallucinations. Average survival span - 18 months.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 25, 2013
New on TSR

Get ready for SQA results day

Share your grade expectations for Tuesday 5 August

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.