The Student Room Group

The OCR English Literature A-Level

Hi guys,
I'm currently a year 11 leaver and a soon-to-become college student. This September I will be starting my AS, and one of my keen interests is English Literature. However, I'm in a bit of a conundrum. The college I wish to apply to follows the OCR specification for English Literature. I have had a look at June 2012's grade boundaries and here's what I found, to get an A in each unit you needed:

53/60 raw marks in the Poetry and Prose 1800-1945 [Closed Text] unit

35/40 raw marks in the Literature post-1900 unit

53/60 raw marks in the Drama and Poetry pre-1800 [Closed Text] (A2) unit

36/40 raw marks in the Texts in Time (A2) unit

As you can see these are close to 90% in each unit which are ridiculously high! Generally it should be around 80% for an A grade, right? These thresholds in the OCR specification are really putting me off from the college that I wish to apply for. My main concern is that it would be ridiculously hard for me to get an A in English Literature if I study at this college, I don't want an A anyways I want an A* in the whole A-Level. So is there anyone out there that is studying this specification? How's it like? Do these thresholds hinder your grades?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
:bump:
Reply 2
Im doing OCR too. Supposed to be the best/ hardest one
Reply 3
Original post by tabmax22
Hi guys,
I'm currently a year 11 leaver and a soon-to-become college student. This September I will be starting my AS, and one of my keen interests is English Literature. However, I'm in a bit of a conundrum. The college I wish to apply to follows the OCR specification for English Literature. I have had a look at June 2012's grade boundaries and here's what I found, to get an A in each unit you needed:

53/60 raw marks in the Poetry and Prose 1800-1945 [Closed Text] unit

35/40 raw marks in the Literature post-1900 unit

53/60 raw marks in the Drama and Poetry pre-1800 [Closed Text] (A2) unit

36/40 raw marks in the Texts in Time (A2) unit

As you can see these are close to 90% in each unit which are ridiculously high! Generally it should be around 80% for an A grade, right? These thresholds in the OCR specification are really putting me off from the college that I wish to apply for. My main concern is that it would be ridiculously hard for me to get an A in English Literature if I study at this college, I don't want an A anyways I want an A* in the whole A-Level. So is there anyone out there that is studying this specification? How's it like? Do these thresholds hinder your grades?

OCR English Lit is quite tough: loads of quotes to learn with the closed text exams, although there are a few ways of minimising the need for this (e.g. memorable one word quotes embedded into a point). I've just done my A2 exam for it. While the grade boundaries look very high, OCR exercises "positive marking" to a greater extent than other exam boards. Lots of people in my class did better than expected at AS. The material is challenging but stimulating with a broad range of texts. The mark scheme is perhaps a little formulaic, but the "positive marking" means credit's given where it's due, especially I think, for highly original responses.

Hope that helps. Any questions I'm more than happy to help. You know what texts are being studied at the sixth form in question? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest