The Student Room Group

MUN Historical 2013/01 - Falklands War

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Morgsie
OOC: As I understand France and the USA were involved indirectly, there was something about telegrams recently

OOC:
USA letting the UK use its satalites and some recon data and the like
France selling weapons to Peru i think it was who then gave them to Argentina
Chile was just nice to the UK

i think thats more or less it for parties involved directly though unless im forgetting something?
Original post by Morgsie
OOC: Germany was divided back then, so I am staying out of this one. It is worth you look the conflict up

[ooc] No you'd be West Germany. East Germany would be already covered as part of the USSR.
Reply 82
Original post by thunder_chunky
[ooc] No you'd be West Germany. East Germany would be already covered as part of the USSR.

OOC: Why would the USSR cover East Germany as they were not in the USSR, the USSR comprised of the following countries: Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Estonia, Georgia, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Latvia, Lithuania, Moldova, Russia, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Ukraine and Uzbekistan. East Germany was part of the Warsaw Pact however not the USSR.
Original post by Losho
OOC: Why would the USSR cover East Germany as they were not in the USSR, the USSR comprised of the following countries: Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Estonia, Georgia, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Latvia, Lithuania, Moldova, Russia, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Ukraine and Uzbekistan. East Germany was part of the Warsaw Pact however not the USSR.

[ooc] Ah, fair enough. It's been about 11 years since I did my GCSE history so throw me a frigging bone here. East Germany was behind the Iron Curtain though so I kinda assume Morgsie would want to stick with West Germany.
Reply 84
Original post by Losho

It wouldnt answer directly to the Kremlin but oweing to the nature of the whole set up back then it would almost certainly do as it was told i guess.
Fiji isn't particularly happy about this, nor does it have the military to have a large impact
Reply 86
The UK can announce that we have set up a 200-mile exclusion zone around the islands.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 87
Original post by thunder_chunky
[ooc] Ah, fair enough. It's been about 11 years since I did my GCSE history so throw me a frigging bone here. East Germany was behind the Iron Curtain though so I kinda assume Morgsie would want to stick with West Germany.

OOC: He could surely play both sides if he wished couldn't he?
Original post by cl_steele
It wouldnt answer directly to the Kremlin but oweing to the nature of the whole set up back then it would almost certainly do as it was told i guess.

OOC: I doubt it, this happened in the 1980s when the Eastern Bloc was under a lot of internal pressure to become free, the previous years had seen uprisings and now with the declining power of the USSR, especially with the reforms, things were becoming freer in the Eastern Bloc so I highly doubt they'd have to. It actually turns out that the Falklands led to a complete re-estimation of the Western Powers as they'd vastly underestimated them.
Reply 88
Original post by meenu89
The UK can announce that we have set up a 200-mile exclusion zone around the islands.

The USSR still has and will continue to have ships in this area, we would warn the UK to be very careful in how the proceed as any attack on us will be met with the strongest retalliation. We would also have you know that as these islands are occupied by Argentina and have Soviet soldiers and equiptment on them any such exclusion zone we shall ignore, if your strike fleet does come within 200 miles of the islands though we may well engage.
(edited 10 years ago)
OOC: Are we about to re-ignite the Cold War over Maggie's electoral tool? :biggrin:
Reply 90
Original post by Saoirse:3
OOC: Are we about to re-ignite the Cold War over Maggie's electoral tool? :biggrin:

The USSR's Boomers say yes :tongue:
The USSR's Boomers say yes :tongue:

OOC: This came up on my phone as being on 1/1/1970.

Posted from TSR Mobile
OOC: And war is averted because the Soviets are banned. TSR is a capitalist conspiracy!

The Mad Dog
QFA

Is it worth asking a rep from another Soviet nation to step in? This was getting interesting before that happened :frown:
Reply 93
OOC: And war is averted because the Soviets are banned. TSR is a capitalist conspiracy!

Is it worth asking a rep from another Soviet nation to step in? This was getting interesting before that happened :frown:

Before the Soviets were banned they sent me this. I do however think we could get a Soviet step-in rather than kill the hype - anybody willing to step in as cl_steele for the purpose of this hype PM me (preferably anybody representing a soviet nation).

Reports from the Falklands have emerged that 3 British Vulcan Bombers, on approach to las malvinas have been shot down by Soviet S300 missile systems, all crew members are reported KIA.

Reply 94
Original post by The Mad Dog
Before the Soviets were banned they sent me this. I do however think we could get a Soviet step-in rather than kill the hype - anybody willing to step in as cl_steele for the purpose of this hype PM me (preferably anybody representing a soviet nation).

im not banned it was a misunderstanding :smile:
Reply 95

oh you wish, we're just warming up... the mods arent stopping my war just yet :colone:

and no one is stealing my seat untill i get banned... give it another day :wink:
Reply 96
im not banned it was a misunderstanding :smile:

Erm, okay. Wish I could change a mods mind that fast....

Carry on as you were folks, the kremlin has returned.
Reply 97
The USSR regrets the downing of the British bombers but stands by its actions in self defence.
Reply 98
New Zealand sends its condolences to the families of those killed in this horrific act of soviet aggression.
We stand ready to assist you in anyway, we are happy to put the ships
HMNZS Otago, Taranaki, canterbury, Waikato and Wellington at your disposal.
Reply 99
OOC:
USA letting the UK use its satalites and some recon data and the like
France selling weapons to Peru i think it was who then gave them to Argentina
Chile was just nice to the UK

i think thats more or less it for parties involved directly though unless im forgetting something?

OOC - The US initially refused satellite use because of "neutrality" and all. Eventually Maggie got her way. France sold Super Etendards and Exocets directly to the Argies before the war but then stopped after the embargo. It cannot be forgotten that the French even sent their own pilots to train the British in taking down the Etendards so they helped the UK a great deal. Chile were a massive help in providing early warning radar to the Brits too.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending