The Student Room Group

Is it possible to learn the following maths modules in one summer?

I'm currently contemplating taking on Further Maths to A2, and am wondering if it's possible for me to learn; half of M1, half of (C3+C4) and FP1 over this summer (all OCR). Currently studying Chem, Physics, Econ. and Maths (with FM to AS), finished Y12. If I were to take FM to A2, I'd drop physics. But anyway just wondering whether you guys think it's possible to cover this material in one summer (with a weekly tutor if required) or whether its too much work and I should just stick to my current subjects.

Thanks

Oh and also, my Predicted grades are all A*s and an A in FM AS, but I'm willing to give one up to take FM A2, as I want to study economics at Uni and FM is "highly preferable".

Thanks again.
Reply 1
Hi, I think it depends on yourself and how quickly you pick them up, Mechanics is fairly easy to self study and FP1 isn't too challenging either. It is doable but you just need the commitment over the summer to complete it
M1 is very similar to the mechanics portion of AS physics, you probably have quite a solid grounding in it already. As for FP1, that will take some more commitment, but with predicted grades like that, you ought to have the aptitude to take on less familiar topics like complex numbers and matrices, both of these are more about procedure than derivation. Other FP1 topics should be familiar to you already, just a little bit more in depth. If I remember correctly C3 has coursework which you'll need to take into account.
Reply 3
Original post by RunningScotsman
M1 is very similar to the mechanics portion of AS physics, you probably have quite a solid grounding in it already. As for FP1, that will take some more commitment, but with predicted grades like that, you ought to have the aptitude to take on less familiar topics like complex numbers and matrices, both of these are more about procedure than derivation. Other FP1 topics should be familiar to you already, just a little bit more in depth. If I remember correctly C3 has coursework which you'll need to take into account.

Thank you very much, I do OCR so I don't have any C3 coursework.
Original post by NeilChhabda
Thank you very much, I do OCR so I don't have any C3 coursework.

My advice with M1 would be to look at some past papers and see how much of them you can do already, you may be surprised (assuming your physics AS was anything like mine was).
Reply 5
I'd suggest you do it - I don't know your exam board for Physics, but I did both Physics and Maths on Edexcel and most of M1 (and even some of M2) was just a harder version on the mechanics topics covered by Physics AS and GCSE (e.g. momentum, kinematics, moments etc.) FP1 really isn't that difficult, and although some of the content like complex number and matrices will be completely new, the questions on it aren't too challenging. Again, doing 1/2 of C3 and C4 won't be difficult, though I did personally find the integration in the second 1/2 of C4 needed a lot more practice than the other topics did.

If anything, the hardest part is motivating yourself to learn 2 1/2 modules over the summer. But your predicted grades suggest you're a fast learner, so you might even be able to get more done in the time. I self-taught my maths and further maths A levels so I'm speaking from experience - it really isn't that hard so long as you make a timetable and stick to it. The extra preference that unis will give you for having done FM for economics far outweighs the difficult of doing it. Hope it goes smoothly for you :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by mr hyde
I'd suggest you do it - I don't know your exam board for Physics, but I did both Physics and Maths on Edexcel and most of M1 (and even some of M2) was just a harder version on the mechanics topics covered by Physics AS and GCSE (e.g. momentum, kinematics, moments etc.) FP1 really isn't that difficult, and although some of the content like complex number and matrices will be completely new, the questions on it aren't too challenging. Again, doing 1/2 of C3 and C4 won't be difficult, though I did personally find the integration in the second 1/2 of C4 needed a lot more practice than the other topics did.

If anything, the hardest part is motivating yourself to learn 2 1/2 modules over the summer. But your predicted grades suggest you're a fast learner, so you might even be able to get more done in the time. I self-taught my maths and further maths A levels so I'm speaking from experience - it really isn't that hard so long as you make a timetable and stick to it. The extra preference that unis will give you for having done FM for economics far outweighs the difficult of doing it. Hope it goes smoothly for you :smile:

Thanks Mr Hyde.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending