The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
ta
(edited 3 years ago)
Bournemouth is one of the most affluent places in the country. It's no wonder you feel down
Reply 42
That just says above average, I wouldn't say those areas were a) particularly bad as far as rough areas go or b) representative of cov as a whole
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 43
The north has its ups and downs I think :holmes:

We have a lot of dilapidated industrial cities, plenty of poorer people, plenty of chavs, and a range of odd accents

On the other hand, we get the Lake District, countryside all around, friendlier people, big family-like communities and we're not afraid of a hard day's work :cute:
Original post by rattusratus
im from Durham and I find the opposite true

I hate the south (apart from devon and the very far south west area which is lovely) Ive been to london 3 times and Birmingham twice all 5 times it was horrible, in Birmingham we had been there less than an hour and there was a drive by shooting and my mam nearly got run over (her wheelchair tipped) by a bus that didnt even bother to stop, london I ended up sat in the rain crying on a roundabout because I had been stuck there for over an hour alone and this roundabout alone was bigger than the whole city im from not to mention how dark and crowded it always feels, I also got punched in the arm in london by a random passer by for no reason :confused:

personally anything past leeds makes me feel uncomfortable (apart from devon area as mentioned before)

Birmingham isn't down south.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 45
Original post by Beatlemania
I'm from the beautiful north. Way better than the south.

We have been so influential throughout history; coal, rail, cotton, music.

North is ****
Original post by Midlander
Birmingham isn't down south.

Posted from TSR Mobile

where does the south start then lol... as I said anything below leeds is south to me
where does the south start then lol... as I said anything below leeds is south to me

I don't know but it doesn't start in the Midlands. Clue's in the fecking name.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 48
Original post by Mechie
Edinburgh ain't in England!

But it's sure as hell a nice place to live :wink:
Reply 49
Original post by tinkertailor
No I didn't know that a Middlesborough company built the Sydney Harbor Bridge. But let's face it, the North may have once been a focus point for manufacturing (making tacky British Leyland cars lol) but it's dead now. No one's driving steam trains now are they?

Well, with respect you are showing your ignorance there. They were build largely in the West Midlands, not the north. Nor were things such as Range Rovers particularly "tacky".

And you know find well the industry consisted more than "tacky cars". A significant number of the world's ships were once made on the Tyne alone.

I suppose northerners are generally more politer than us southerners but something has to compensate for the fact that nothing much is happening up North today :biggrin:

What makes Bristol, Norwich, Southampton or Oxford more vibrant and happening than Newcastle, Manchester, Leeds or Hull then?

I think the only place in the north I've liked is Manchester. Well the center of Manchester really, the more outwards you go the more you see it's just like any deprived northern city :biggrin: Though I see Salford has recently been done up by the BBC.

The gentrification and redevelopmet of Salford predates the BBC.

Peterborough, significant parts of Bristol, Oxford, many London boroughs...are these any better?
Original post by River85
Which is why Newcastle is one of the most popular cities for breaks? Or why it has been named among the most livable/best places to live and study in Europe (by more than one international source).

Alnwick, Alnmouth, Hexham, Warwkworth (much of Northumberland really), Jesmond, Durham....how very third world....

Mind, much of Sunderland is awful :p:

Look, I'm sure there are great student facilities situated in Newcastle. But really, venture outside of the city centre and you'll just see another dreary northern England. Plus I've always found Geordies pretty annoying, they really do have the daftest accents along with Liverpudlians. They can barely speak English :tongue:

From those places you've mentioned, it looks like you've just plucked out the best small towns in the North. The only one I've visited is Durham which is really nice. My sister Durham uni. But those places still don't make up the disaster zones of Liverpool, Sunderland, Newcastle etc where all the riff raff live :biggrin:
I love the North!
Original post by Midlander
I don't know but it doesn't start in the Midlands. Clue's in the fecking name.

Posted from TSR Mobile

the south refers to the persons location as mine is in Durham the yes the midlands are south regardless of name
Finham and before that Cannon Park and when I was very little, Wyken. Perfectly decent areas to live in and not once have I been on the receiving end of crime. The city centre is genuinely nice too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by tinkertailor
Look, I'm sure there are great student facilities situated in Newcastle. But really, venture outside of the city centre and you'll just see another dreary northern England. Plus I've always found Geordies pretty annoying, they really do have the daftest accents along with Liverpudlians. They can barely speak English :tongue:

From those places you've mentioned, it looks like you've just plucked out the best small towns in the North. The only one I've visited is Durham which is really nice. My sister Durham uni. But those places still don't make up the disaster zones of Liverpool, Sunderland, Newcastle etc where all the riff raff live :biggrin:

Crawley, Gillingham, Portsmouth and Luton. All complete ****holes.

Posted from TSR Mobile
the south refers to the persons location as mine is in Durham the yes the midlands are south regardless of name

Yeah I suppose the geographic centre of England is down south. Makes sense.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by La belle jolie
Keep in mind this is coming from someone who's lived down in Bournemouth all her life, so please don't flame me :tongue:

I haven't been up North much all my life, and only to a few places - Manchester, Lancaster, Hull and so on. I think some areas are absolutely beautiful - went to the Lake District on holiday with family and loved it.

However, for some reason, whenever I go up North I always end up really depressed. The people are usually friendlier than down South, but I just end up feeling ridiculously down and I have no idea why. Even since I was young, I've always cheered up whenever back down South again.

Northern cities are often pretty, but some of the ones I've been are a bit less modern-looking than, say, London or even Birmingham, which gets me down and I have no idea why. That said, I've been to Oxford and Cambridge (which are both also "old") and loved both of them. I just can't understand why I always feel horrible when up North.

Anyone else feel the same way? And how do I "cure" myself of this, so to speak? I'm planning to go round Edinburgh/Newcastle/Durham etc. this summer as I want to explore the UK more, so any advice on how not to get depressed whilst doing so would be nice! :tongue:
Have you ever walked around South Bermondsey, near Millwall FC ground, in South East London? That has to be the most depressing place in Britain!!!
I was born at the old Walsgrave hospital. Places like Wood End and Hillfields you hear bad things about but I don't really go there so can't comment.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 58
Someone has mentioned how depressing the south can also be, and I agree. I'm from Portsmouth (originally from Peterborough) and it can be just as depressing as any northern city in the more deprived areas. However. For me, there is something innately depressing about the north. I can't quite put my finger on it, perhaps it's the general architecture and the connotations with poverty, life expectancy and crime rates. I feel a definite sullen and distressing atmosphere driving/walking through northern cities.

Many people talk of a friendly, family oriented culture in the north. I'm sure this is true, however for anyone visiting, particularly from southern England (I'm sure foreign nationals are cordially welcomed), I feel the opposite to be true. The accent is immediately noticeable and in my experiences illicits a hostile reaction.

Not to say that I don't appreciate the north on a national level. If people from the south were honest with themselves, the industrial and cultural contributions from the north simply outweigh the south by a fair margin. Obviously totally subjective, nevertheless as a southerner I feel this to be true looking at the past 200 years or so of British history.

It saddens me somewhat that I don't feel a part of, or welcome in this area of my own country. A closed off community I will never understand, yet appreciate for what it is nonetheless.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by River85
Well, with respect you are showing your ignorance there. They were build largely in the West Midlands, not the north. Nor were things such as Range Rovers particularly "tacky".

My mistake, I keep on associating BL with the north when it's the Brummies that are responsible.

Original post by River85
And you know find well the industry consisted more than "tacky cars". A significant number of the world's ships were once made on the Tyne alone.

Once. What's happening there now :biggrin:

Original post by River85
What makes Bristol, Norwich, Southampton or Oxford more vibrant and happening than Newcastle, Manchester, Leeds or Hull then?

The fact that they're the more desirable and cleaner? Also the fact that they're a lot closer to London and the south east, the economic hub of Britain?

Original post by River85
The gentrification and redevelopmet of Salford predates the BBC.

Maybe so but the BBC are now by far and away the biggest tenants at MediaCityUK. And let's face it, without MediaCity there would be no positive thoughts towards Salford :biggrin:

Original post by River85
Peterborough, significant parts of Bristol, Oxford, many London boroughs...are these any better?

Bristol is a vibrant city. Don't know much about Peterborough so I can't form an opinion. But Oxford is home to arguably the most famous university on the planet. Plus London is Britain's only internationally renowned city. When people outside of the UK think of our country, really they're only thinking of London.

Latest