The Student Room Group

Northern England depresses me!

Keep in mind this is coming from someone who's lived down in Bournemouth all her life, so please don't flame me :tongue:

I haven't been up North much all my life, and only to a few places - Manchester, Lancaster, Hull and so on. I think some areas are absolutely beautiful - went to the Lake District on holiday with family and loved it.

However, for some reason, whenever I go up North I always end up really depressed. The people are usually friendlier than down South, but I just end up feeling ridiculously down and I have no idea why. Even since I was young, I've always cheered up whenever back down South again.

Northern cities are often pretty, but some of the ones I've been are a bit less modern-looking than, say, London or even Birmingham, which gets me down and I have no idea why. That said, I've been to Oxford and Cambridge (which are both also "old") and loved both of them. I just can't understand why I always feel horrible when up North.

Anyone else feel the same way? And how do I "cure" myself of this, so to speak? I'm planning to go round Edinburgh/Newcastle/Durham etc. this summer as I want to explore the UK more, so any advice on how not to get depressed whilst doing so would be nice! :tongue:
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Not sure at all.. Is it the weather?! Hopefully you like Edinburgh
Edinburgh is a great idea/ the best way to get over being in northern england is to leave england all together:smile:
Is it not just you feeling abit homesick? Perhaps you just like down south better as its where you are comfortable.
Maybe you have just been visiting the wrong places in northern England? I'll admit that there are certainly some ugly and depressing parts of northern England, but the same could likely be said for southern England. Personally, I've rarely felt depressed when visiting, say, Newcastle, Durham and York.
Reply 5
It's grim up north.
Reply 6
Edinburgh ain't in England!
Maybe it's the aesthetics of cities and towns built mainly during and after the industrial revolution. Try some good cheese that will cheer you up!
Reply 8
Up North is far better than the South.

That being said... I do love me a bit of Eastbourne.
I'm from the beautiful north. Way better than the south.

We have been so influential throughout history; coal, rail, cotton, music.
Original post by Platinum Mech
Maybe you have just been visiting the wrong places in northern England? I'll admit that there are certainly some ugly and depressing parts of northern England, but the same could likely be said for southern England. Personally, I've rarely felt depressed when visiting, say, Newcastle, Durham and York.

Even the beautiful countryside (like the Lake District) gets me down. I don't get it :/ Whereas wherever I am down South, I usually feel at home. Maybe it's just a psychological thing?
Reply 11
Probably just beause the south is your home so you just prefer it?
I love living in the north though :tongue:
Original post by Bubzeh
Up North is far better than the South.

That being said... I do love me a bit of Eastbourne.

Beatlemania
I'm from the beautiful north. Way better than the south.

We have been so influential throughout history; coal, rail, cotton, music.

This isn't a North v South thread, I was just wondering why I personally felt that way :tongue:

Where are you guys from up North if you don't mind me asking? Any recommendations as to where to visit to cure myself of this?
It's very comparable to Korea, the North is a dump and the South is where everything is at.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Original post by La belle jolie
Keep in mind this is coming from someone who's lived down in Bournemouth all her life, so please don't flame me :tongue:

I haven't been up North much all my life, and only to a few places - Manchester, Lancaster, Hull and so on. I think some areas are absolutely beautiful - went to the Lake District on holiday with family and loved it.

However, for some reason, whenever I go up North I always end up really depressed. The people are usually friendlier than down South, but I just end up feeling ridiculously down and I have no idea why. Even since I was young, I've always cheered up whenever back down South again.

Northern cities are often pretty, but some of the ones I've been are a bit less modern-looking than, say, London or even Birmingham, which gets me down and I have no idea why. That said, I've been to Oxford and Cambridge (which are both also "old") and loved both of them. I just can't understand why I always feel horrible when up North.

Anyone else feel the same way? And how do I "cure" myself of this, so to speak? I'm planning to go round Edinburgh/Newcastle/Durham etc. this summer as I want to explore the UK more, so any advice on how not to get depressed whilst doing so would be nice! :tongue:

Maybe it's just because it's unfamiliar? I'm from the North and I miss it when I go away. People in the North are so much friendlier and things and it just feels homely (to me). You probably just associate the south with home and feel out of your comfort zone in northern England. We live in a pretty diverse country despite its size.
I'm sure if you're planning on going around the country a lot you'll possibly get used to it and lose the initial 'shock' factor you get when going for shorter/less frequent trips. Perhaps just remind yourself that it's obviously not forever and if you don't go to places where things are different to what you're used to you'll barely be able to go anywhere!
Have fun :smile:
Original post by La belle jolie
This isn't a North v South thread, I was just wondering why I personally felt that way :tongue:

Where are you guys from up North if you don't mind me asking? Any recommendations as to where to visit to cure myself of this?

Ever been to Liverpool?

I visit once every year, love it. Mainly because I'm a Beatles fan but the City has really improved in years.

Manchester is great too, you've been there as you said but that's where I study and it grows on me each day.
Original post by Martie08
Maybe it's just because it's unfamiliar? I'm from the North and I miss it when I go away. People in the North are so much friendlier and things and it just feels homely (to me). You probably just associate the south with home and feel out of your comfort zone in northern England. We live in a pretty diverse country despite its size.
I'm sure if you're planning on going around the country a lot you'll possibly get used to it and lose the initial 'shock' factor you get when going for shorter/less frequent trips. Perhaps just remind yourself that it's obviously not forever and if you don't go to places where things are different to what you're used to you'll barely be able to go anywhere!
Have fun :smile:

I've been to London and all that and have family and friends in the Midlands; I think I just need to push myself a bit haha :smile:

What do you love about the North? All I ever hear is the stereotype, I'm sure there must be tons more to it than that! I do really like the countryside.
Northern England is a craphole, period. Whenever I've been up there it's like I'm venturing into the Soviet Union or some Eastern European country. Sunderland and the North East in particular is the best craphole of the lot, it's borderline third world :biggrin:
Original post by FabiusMaximus
I'm from the North and the village I grew up in is like nowhere else in Britain i've come across. It's like a mix between the Middle Ages and Victorian period. A lot of farms are still built with wood and there are farm animals which just walk around all the time. The farmers on the hills are mostly descended from Vikings and they have the craziest accents and look Norwegian....still!!! (inbreeding)

The biggest employer is a huge satanical mill which looks like it will fall down any day now, it sort of leans to one side. I guess growing up in average England wouldn't prepare you for both the poverty and community you see in the North.

http://mapsurl.appspot.com/streetview/#03R8x-nKpmiN-1-nKpmiNy3ciJA

http://mapsurl.appspot.com/streetview/#03Ru_9nKhjgNyh-nKtggNwqvBnjBA

I thought you were joking... then I realised you weren't! :eek:

There are places like that down South as well, though...
Original post by otester
It's very comparable to Korea, the North is a dump and the South is where everything is at.

Yeah, its the same in the United States

Latest