The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Why is it not ok for men to like female singers?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I've never experienced this personally, but the kind of people who say that men who like female singers are 'gay' probably don't have the most informed opinions on the world anyway (to put it politely).
Reply 21
Which singer? For some reason there's a gay sub cult attached to middle aged divas. Shirley bassey, Tina Turner...

If it's just the latest autotuned generic warbler who makes cockteasing videos off the production line - well it's normal for hetero boys to buy that stuff.
Reply 22
What ever you've perceived from society is clearly wrong. That or you have a bunch of ********s as friends.
Reply 23
So, if a bloke likes the Saturdays, he's gay, but if he likes One Direction he's not? What kind of messed up logic is that?
Reply 24
Some people are very close-minded
Reply 25
Original post by Dust94
Perhaps a generalisation, but as the title says, why is it not ok for men to like female singers?

A few times, I've been called gay because of this. Why does this just apply to men? It doesn't apply for women if they like male singers.

Thoughts?

I'm not young but I have never heard of this.

I think you're being teased and showing that it's working. Like who you want and dislike who you want. One type of person I think worth disliking is those who make judgements just based on sex, instead of on capability.
I love Taylor Swift
Reply 27
Well this is *******s. Nina Simone, anyone? Aretha Franklin? Amy Lee? Hayley Williams? Izzy Hale?
I mean holey moley dem voices are incredible

OP people who think this are probably the type to say 'you're well gay you' or similarly stupid ideas :rolleyes:
I’m a straight guy who loves a heck of a lot of female singers, one reason I love female singers is because they are beautiful, but I also love they way they sound when they sing and I love there songs, I don’t think it makes a guy gay at all to like a female singer., I’ve loved female singers ever since I was little.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 29
For me, it's abnormal. If I'm in a train, sitting next to a guy listening to some crappy rap, in which I get to hear booms of fireguns, I'm gonna watch for my wallet. But if he is listening to Miley Cyrus or Katty Perry, I won't feel less comfortable, but this time, watching for my butt.

True story, I had friended a guy for a long while, six months or more. Oneday he invited me over. As we were chilling out playing ps4, we thought of enjoying some music. He came up with his favorite list, there was nothing in there but for female singers. I immediatelly panicked and thought it was a prank. And yeah, still i have doubts about him being gay.

NB: Please don't judge me, i must have been taught so by the society maybe?
(edited 6 years ago)
Honestly, I think even when men really like male singers they face stigma. This whole being a fan and idolising someone in those manners I guess is viewed as a very female thing? I assume that expressing admiration is not considered masculine.

The only way a man could be viewed without being judged, is to have a second motive when watching these singers. To sexualise them. Which they often pretend to do when their mates are around just to hide the fact that they actually like their music.

There's only odd cases, where the female singer does maybe a less pop concept (like some rock or whatever) where I feel that a man wouldn't be judged for liking a female singer. Many people think that pop is too girly and that real men don't obsess over people like female fans do.

I don't think these views are fair, but this is what I believe happens...
Original post by Dust94
Perhaps a generalisation, but as the title says, why is it not ok for men to like female singers?

A few times, I've been called gay because of this. Why does this just apply to men? It doesn't apply for women if they like male singers.

Thoughts?

What are you on about? Katy Perry with her old long, black hair was hot af.
Reply 32
I don't think this is a rule in society per se - just insecure, violently masculine, misogynist and uneducated men brought up by insecure, violently masculine, misogynist and uneducated fathers. More prevalent in the north.

Ironically these are often the sort of men who also wear lots of jewelry and go to gyms, and do sports that involve wrestling other men - whilst being apparently blissfully unaware of the irony involved.

Of course these men don't represent men in general, nor society's views in general. Being gay involves being exclusively attracted to men- You should listen to whatever music you like to listen to.

Speaking as a bisexual man, a lot of what is considered to be "gay" or "gay culture" is based on stereotypes of one minority group of the more obvious gay men - who I suppose assimilate into that stereotype out of ease of opportunity, and because that is what is purported within such social ideas.

Personally there are a couple of female pop singers I like, such as Katy Perry, Lady Gaga and Adele - although I like them because of the drama and skill of their voices, the merit of the songwriting and the creative ethos involved, rather than their style of music. Musically I have always preferred alternative/punk/rock/metal with either male or female singers - and instrumental bands too. The pop singers I like fit into a similar ethos which is why I like them, but as a rule I find pop music (with the majority of female singers) dull, turgid and irritating.`Perhaps this is because I am an advanced musician myself and I find a lot of it creatively offensive if nothing else.
(edited 6 years ago)
quite a few of today's male chanteurs would come under the heading "ooh matron". stick with something safe like Sabbath or Zeppelin.
It's not okay to listen to most singers, regardless of their genitalia (or would be mpre pc to say 'regardless of what they identify as their genitalia'?), because most of them make music that sucks.
I like Chrissy Costanza (Against the Current) and Tay Jardine (We Are The In Crowd) and I've never been called gay.
might depend on the style of singer - your pop princess types of singer have a following that's largely young girls so I suppose that could be seen as a girly, immature thing to like...

OTOH your older diva style singers who could be seen as battlers who've taken a few knocks often have a large gay following... Your Tina Turner, Bette Midler zone - going back a bit further in time Maria Callas.
Original post by the bear
quite a few of today's male chanteurs would come under the heading "ooh matron". stick with something safe like Sabbath or Zeppelin.

Sage advice indeed... PRSOM
I love opera, and in particular the singers such as Maria Callas, Mirella Freni, Renata Scotto, Regine Crespin and Ileana Cotrubas. There's nothing wrong with liking any type of music, or any singer, female or otherwise.
Original post by XxSaruman82xX
I love opera, and in particular the singers such as Maria Callas, Mirella Freni, Renata Scotto, Regine Crespin and Ileana Cotrubas. There's nothing wrong with liking any type of music, or any singer, female or otherwise.

Woo more necroposting! :woo:

I think OP probably meant pop singers. Any classical music lover will have favourite singers in both genders.

I really like Cyndi Lauper. No shame.

Latest

Trending

Trending