The Student Room Group

POLL: Which Home County is Most Posh?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Galileo Galilei
I don't consider Slough and Staines to be part of Berkshire

Just looked it up and Staines is actually in Surrey :eek:

But whether you consider it or not, Slough is in Berkshire...
Original post by Ripper-Roo
:confused:

How is it of great importance?

Please consult this page for further information about my posting.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irony#Verbal_irony_and_sarcasm
Original post by PythianLegume

Staines is where Thorpe Park is, It isn't that nice and oh well, most nice places have horrible parts like Chelsea has the Worlds End estate
Original post by PythianLegume

Staines was traditionally part of Middlesex, however the government does not recognise M'sex as an administrative county.

Slough is really part of outer Greater London, so people tend not to think of it when they think 'Berkshire' - it's more the leafy areas. However, they perhaps do think 'Reading', which is offputting.
Reply 44
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Please consult this page for further information about my posting.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irony#Verbal_irony_and_sarcasm

Calm down, love.
My very own St. Albans in Hertfordshire was voted by the great British public to be the new Mayfair on the monopoly board (you can't imagine how much excitement that caused in the town lol). Hertfordshire (not that I'm biased)
Reply 46
I'd say Berkshire.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 47
Happy to see Royal Berkshire recovered its rightful spot in this race, but it still doesn't compare to old-money leafy Surrey. Let's not forget that while Royal Berkshire may be the County of preference to the Royal family, those Mountbatten's may be tolerated, but they are largely viewed by serious old aristocratic English money as being brash, new-money, square-headed, crude Germans. I once laughed to myself when I overheard a couple very posh and attractive middle-aged women refer to the Mountbatten clan as those 'dreadful Windsor's (The Mountbatten's adopted English surname).
Ascot, Surrey - Oo ar lardy dar.
Reply 49
John Terry lives in Surrey :wink:

p.s. Ascot is in Berkshire
Reply 50
I'm shocked that Essex is not on the poll given it's a home county like any other. The Essex stereotype is blown out of proportion; all but one Essex mp is a tory. And many high earning city workers live in places like Brentwood and surrounding well to do commuter towns.
Lol at the thought of sussex ever being considered as posh. Full of old ladies,chavs or hippies.
Reply 52
Hard to believe nobody has picked West Sussex in this poll. Surely, many of the villages and towns in both West and East Sussex are generally regarded as picturesque, quaint and very English middle-class in ambiance.
St. Albans in herts is quite posh
Original post by sydney_watts
Hard to believe nobody has picked West Sussex in this poll. Surely, many of the villages and towns in both West and East Sussex are generally regarded as picturesque, quaint and very English middle-class in ambiance.

Sussex is very pretty, but is not as wealthy/posh as other Home Counties. If you think about it, there is Hastings and Brighton which are popular with chavs, and not the rich chavs.
Reply 55
The fact that Berkshire has a few votes makes me laugh. Almost 90% of the county is completely opposite to posh and I should know.

Surrey for me for sure!
Looks like Surrey is in the lead.

Splendid!
Reply 57
The only ones I've spent a serious amount of time in are Surrey, Berkshire, Kent and Buckinghamshire. Of those, in my own experience, I'd say that Surrey has the most pretentiously 'posh' people, but Buckinghamshire 'feels' more posh overall. Kent is very mixed, because some bits are about as far from posh as you can get, but others are the opposite. I've only ever found Berkshire to be down-to-earth and nice, if a little upwardly competitive, but then I have avoided the traditionally posh bits as much as possible.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 58
Surrey is keeping hold of a commanding lead.
Reply 59
Original post by sophieisamazing
Sussex is very pretty, but is not as wealthy/posh as other Home Counties. If you think about it, there is Hastings and Brighton which are popular with chavs, and not the rich chavs.

I'm not so sure, Sophie. Ever been to Haywards Heath and the surrounding villages in that part of West Sussex lately? Not only is that area of the South East very pretty and leafy (lots of tall shade trees), but it's pretty posh these days too. I'd say it's mainly inhabited by younger couples with school age children, but definitely moneyed, and definitely people who've had some measure of affluence over at least 3 or 4 generations. I'm not saying independently wealthy or aristocrats, mind you, but definitely a lot of people from the upper-middle-class doctor and lawyer set. Seems to be more professionals there and less City types like you'd get in say, Sevenoaks, Esher or Oxshott.

Quick Reply

Latest