The Student Room Group

Improving in mathematics

So I've just finished my AS levels. I take physics, further maths, maths and german. I'm doing maths a year early so I've now completed my A2. I would like to think my mathematical ability is very sound but I seem to be very inconsistent in the exams. I also, at times, seem to lack some of the fundamental knowledge of maths.
For example, I was fully prepared for my C3 exam last January, I had done plenty of revision, yet in the exam I struggled and got the lowest possible A. But then in the C4 exam I felt I did really well. The questions were hard but I managed to keep my composure in the exam and answer them all and I am very confident on my result.

I seem to be very inconsistent so I would like to know how I could improve my mathematics and take it to the next level. I would like to be prepared coming into A2 further maths as I know it will be a challenge. I also want to improve as I want to study maths at university.

Thanks for reading :smile:
Original post by simonbaker123

but I seem to be very inconsistent in the exams.

In what way are you inconsistent?

I also, at times, seem to lack some of the fundamental knowledge of maths.

Do you have a book for revision, that covers all the necessary areas?

If you think you lack fundamental knowledge, can you identify which areas of maths they lie in? Perhaps looking back at a GCSE paper may help - what, if anything, would cause a problem?
Reply 2
Practise makes perfect.
Reply 3
Original post by ghostwalker
In what way are you inconsistent?

I tend to have consistent results but those results are always lower than what I should be getting. In every timed mock I do I get a lot higher than I do in the exams
From experience/observations of teaching there are generally two types of A Level Students:

(1) Those who learn formula, do past papers and form an efficient way of scoring fairly well on exams UNTIL something in a question changes and requires a either a deeper understanding or a fact they have not retained from GCSE/Key Stage 3 maths.

(2) Those who build skills, think about how to tackle problems and can side step if a question isn't one they have done 20-30 times on past papers.

Do you think it may (and I state may) be a case of falling into the first bracket?

Perhaps not and that may be an insult so I will aplogise in advance.
Reply 5
Original post by m4ths/maths247
From experience/observations of teaching there are generally two types of A Level Students:

(1) Those who learn formula, do past papers and form an efficient way of scoring fairly well on exams UNTIL something in a question changes and requires a either a deeper understanding or a fact they have not retained from GCSE/Key Stage 3 maths.

(2) Those who build skills, think about how to tackle problems and can side step if a question isn't one they have done 20-30 times on past papers.

Do you think it may (and I state may) be a case of falling into the first bracket?

Perhaps not and that may be an insult so I will aplogise in advance.

Possibly, that could be the case. I do try to understand the method before I apply it though, in every case.

Quick Reply

Latest