The Student Room Group

Maths or Sport and Exercise Science degree?

I’m not sure if I want to study Maths or Sport and Exercise Science at University.

I want to do something like Sport Biomechanics or something mathematical to help athletes improve their performance. There is a joint honours degree in these subjects, but I don’t want to move away from home. Not sure which degree to choose at undergraduate level as I love both subjects and am studying them at A Level.
Original post by Physics.Footy
I’m not sure if I want to study Maths or Sport and Exercise Science at University.

I want to do something like Sport Biomechanics or something mathematical to help athletes improve their performance. There is a joint honours degree in these subjects, but I don’t want to move away from home. Not sure which degree to choose at undergraduate level as I love both subjects and am studying them at A Level.

Hi there,

I am currently studying a integrated masters in Mathematics & Statistics at Lancaster University. Personally, I would recommend looking at both courses and considering which you think you would enjoy more. It could also be helpful to go to university open days and talk to current students about the course, as well as what careers they plan to go into.

Please feel free to ask me any questions about maths at university or student life in general.

Amy 🙂 (Lancaster Student Ambassador)
Reply 2
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hi there,

I am currently studying a integrated masters in Mathematics & Statistics at Lancaster University. Personally, I would recommend looking at both courses and considering which you think you would enjoy more. It could also be helpful to go to university open days and talk to current students about the course, as well as what careers they plan to go into.

Please feel free to ask me any questions about maths at university or student life in general.

Amy 🙂 (Lancaster Student Ambassador)

Thank you for the reply.

Was hoping to do a masters in Sport Biomechanics. As it’s mathematical modelling heavy, I’m assuming maths would help me out with that. Not sure how much applied maths is on a uni maths course though?

However, a sport and exercise science degree is 1/3 biomechanics and would give me experience in that specific area.

Maths at uni was what I was always planning to do, so I’m stumped at the thought of not doing that. Just not interested in any of the career paths it leads to.

Thanks.

Quick Reply

Latest