The Student Room Group

Chemistry Applicants 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheAlchemistt
AAA, need to learn the whole spec for biol5 in two days :c

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1296764
The F215 document may be very helpful (I found the F211 and F214 ones helpful for spec-checking / knowledge-fixing)

Original post by Fullycorporate
The things I would do for an extra 2 days to revise for C4... anways good luck! It'll all be over soon :biggrin:

I feel you both. Literally in the same position but I need AAB for Sheffield. I feel so unprepared for both exams despite taking Further Maths, C4 can seems a bit tricky, and I haven't had enough time :frown:
Original post by Exodecai
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1296764
The F215 document may be very helpful (I found the F211 and F214 ones helpful for spec-checking / knowledge-fixing)

I feel you both. Literally in the same position but I need AAB for Sheffield. I feel so unprepared for both exams despite taking Further Maths, C4 can seems a bit tricky, and I haven't had enough time :frown:

Im doing AQA biology so them notes dont apply to me :c
please answer my question of my profile thread thing, new to this and would appreciate it so much :smile:
Is anyone doing chemistry at Southampton?
Reply 1784
I applied to Edinburgh, St Andrews, Cardiff, Sheffield, Glasgow. Got offers from Cardiff, Sheffield and Glasgow. Firmed Cardiff (already unconditional) and put Sheffield as my insurance. A question to you guys, do you think if Cardiff is really good for Chemistry, because I'm having some second thoughts about my decision...
Reply 1785
Original post by laurapres1234

Me! (Hopefully)
Original post by vld19
I applied to Edinburgh, St Andrews, Cardiff, Sheffield, Glasgow. Got offers from Cardiff, Sheffield and Glasgow. Firmed Cardiff (already unconditional) and put Sheffield as my insurance. A question to you guys, do you think if Cardiff is really good for Chemistry, because I'm having some second thoughts about my decision...

Hi :smile: I haven't visited Cardiff because I didn't apply there, but I heard its a very good insurance choice. My friend has it as his insurance.

But remember that its not just course facilities which are important. You also need to enjoy where you live and the ways of the university (and of the Chem department). Personally I feel like, if you really enjoyed the Open/Visit Day, did your research and in effect 'love' the uni, and you think it has good facilities, then I think you should stick with Cardiff. May I ask why you're having second thoughts?
Reply 1787
I am a foreign student and I haven't been able to attend an open day. I simply went to the websites, checked out the prospectuses, also league tables. Cardiff is 24th in CUG and 12th in the Guardian. I liked it because on the website there was information that the school benefits from a recent several million refurbishment, and also I was influenced by the financial side of the things - cheap accommodation, compared to all other top unis, and I have been told that the city itself is cheap as well. Also, a classmate of mine is also going to study at Cardiff :biggrin:
I'm having second thoughts because I recently read that although it being a Russell group uni, it falls behind the other unis in the group and that made me think whether it's good overall and for the subject too.
I'm thinking whether I should try Adjustment. Other unis I think might be better are Nottingham, Bristol, Southampton, Manchester, maybe Liverpool??
Original post by vld19
I am a foreign student and I haven't been able to attend an open day. I simply went to the websites, checked out the prospectuses, also league tables. Cardiff is 24th in CUG and 12th in the Guardian. I liked it because on the website there was information that the school benefits from a recent several million refurbishment, and also I was influenced by the financial side of the things - cheap accommodation, compared to all other top unis, and I have been told that the city itself is cheap as well. Also, a classmate of mine is also going to study at Cardiff :biggrin:
I'm having second thoughts because I recently read that although it being a Russell group uni, it falls behind the other unis in the group and that made me think whether it's good overall and for the subject too.
I'm thinking whether I should try Adjustment. Other unis I think might be better are Nottingham, Bristol, Southampton, Manchester, maybe Liverpool??

Dont pay attention with league tables, there unrealible and are based on nothing, they also change every year.
Just aim for a good university which you feel comfortable at.
In terms of adjustment go for it if you think it will be a better decision for yourself and go for Manchester (not bias at all)
Original post by vld19

It doesn't particularly matter where you go to do Chemistry. The Royal Society of Chemistry has like, a list of stuff you have to know/ be able to do before you graduate. So every university covers the same things, but may not do it in the same order. Sheffield starts Quantum Mechanics in your first year, but York doesn't until your second year.

tl;dr You'll learn the same stuff wherever you go. If Cardiff makes you happy, stick with Cardiff.
Reply 1790
Another thing that bothers me is that the majority of unis I researched use Clayden's textbook for Organic Chemistry and as I understand it's the best one out there, but Cardiff uses Loudon's one, which, according to some reviews on Amazon, isn't very good and is too complicated.
Original post by vld19
Another thing that bothers me is that the majority of unis I researched use Clayden's textbook for Organic Chemistry and as I understand it's the best one out there, but Cardiff uses Loudon's one, which, according to some reviews on Amazon, isn't very good and is too complicated.

This depends on you, really. I do think Clayden is awesome. That said, they should be comparable and if you want to use Clayden for your studies then you can. It just means page references are useless to you, which can make things sometimes difficult.
Original post by vld19

Original post by Nymthae
This depends on you, really. I do think Clayden is awesome. That said, they should be comparable and if you want to use Clayden for your studies then you can. It just means page references are useless to you, which can make things sometimes difficult.

Personally not a big fan of Clayden. I find it can make things a bit too complicated for me. I personally have got on better with Klein's Organic Chemistry, but it's not much use after second year...

Edit: Nymthae and I are massively biased, but PICK SHEFFIELD! They give you the core textbooks you need for organic, inorganic and physical, which would cost you the best part of £300.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by .snowflake.

Edit: Nymthae and I are massively biased, but PICK SHEFFIELD! They give you the core textbooks you need for organic, inorganic and physical, which would cost you the best part of £300.

Sheffield rocks... but I had to buy my textbooks, hahah. I was a little bit miffed when I heard they started doing that :biggrin:
Original post by Nymthae
Sheffield rocks... but I had to buy my textbooks, hahah. I was a little bit miffed when I heard they started doing that :biggrin:

yup. #perksofbeingtheclassof2016 We are the year Mark does NOT like.
Original post by .snowflake.
yup. #perksofbeingtheclassof2016 We are the year Mark does NOT like.

It's fine, you pay 9 grand and I play 3.5. I think you can have the free text books :biggrin:

Does Mark like anyone? His face only changes between disgruntled and somewhat disapproving :rolleyes:
Original post by Nymthae
It's fine, you pay 9 grand and I play 3.5. I think you can have the free text books :biggrin:

Does Mark like anyone? His face only changes between disgruntled and somewhat disapproving :rolleyes:

-gigglesnort- Probably not. To be fair, most of the male academics only have two possible faces.
Original post by laurapres1234

Original post by NicCx
Me! (Hopefully)
Me too! :smile:
Reply 1798
Original post by 104975
Me too! :smile:

Awesome! What course?
Hi, I am looking to apply to chemistry at Oxford, I study Maths, Chemistry, geography and Economics. I am planning on dropping economics, I also do an EPQ on the Geochemical impacts of Fracking. I don't study physics or biology some colleges suggest this is going to drastically decrease my chances whereas Keble seems OK. Has anyone got any advice or experience of this. Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending