The Student Room Group

Is it hard to get Distinctions in an access course?

Scroll to see replies

I’m almost finished and it’s so so tough! A lot of assignment I must have around 3 assignments a week to complete. Research research and more research into everything you do and your writing will speak truths that you understand the subject and assignment. I’ve got all distinctions up to now but I’ve had many many sleepless nights and almost everyday constantly doing the work. You don’t have a social life haha that’s if you want distinctions. I’ve eaten, slept and breathed assignments. Work hard and it will pay off! I start adult nursing in September at uni! Keep going no matter how tough it gets because it does get tough! Make sure your organised and keep on top of your work because it piles up very easily and very quickly! Good luck!! ❤️
I'm just over half way through now I've really enjoyed it and so far got all distinctions, make sure you understand the assessment criteria and speak to a study advisor about essay structure, spelling and grammar as well as referencing. it's been full on but I still feel it's about what you put in. Be proactive research and ask if you dont know and a study plan really helped me as I'm so busy I didn't want to fall behind.
Exactly what I have done! Hard work pays off
Reply 83
hi
Hi I would love to hear more about health science I’m about to do it. But online course I have to get about 30 distinctions and 15 merit. I’m worried it’s going to be hard. Many thanksRosie
Now that I’m done with the course, I can finally say that it was definitely intense. Depending on the college, you’re most likely not gonna be able to submit a draft of your coursework due to “limited funding”. I think OCN made the course more challenging by making mandating it at 60 credits (45 credits graded and the remaining 15 credits ungraded), if you’re planning on doing medicine you’re expected to have 45 credits in distinction. It was a lot of work for me, the course got more intensive as time went on, I had plenty of nightmares as I knew that if I messed it up there’s not gonna be a reset. You would have to do a lot of further reading if you’re planning on getting a distinction, especially with your coursework. Don’t expect to finish it in a day or two. Like others have said, read the assessment criteria carefully as not meeting even one would lead to a resub but if they are focused on well, that is how you get a distinction. I was so used to getting spoon-fed that it took me quite a while to get used to the course because you’re basically left alone. You’re going to have to be proactive in asking your teachers questions. I got 45 credits in distinction but trust me, it was not as EASY as others made it out to be lol. You have to put in a lot of work.
Original post by wackything
Now that I’m done with the course, I can finally say that it was definitely intense. Depending on the college, you’re most likely not gonna be able to submit a draft of your coursework due to “limited funding”. I think OCN made the course more challenging by making mandating it at 60 credits (45 credits graded and the remaining 15 credits ungraded), if you’re planning on doing medicine you’re expected to have 45 credits in distinction. It was a lot of work for me, the course got more intensive as time went on, I had plenty of nightmares as I knew that if I messed it up there’s not gonna be a reset. You would have to do a lot of further reading if you’re planning on getting a distinction, especially with your coursework. Don’t expect to finish it in a day or two. Like others have said, read the assessment criteria carefully as not meeting even one would lead to a resub but if they are focused on well, that is how you get a distinction. I was so used to getting spoon-fed that it took me quite a while to get used to the course because you’re basically left alone. You’re going to have to be proactive in asking your teachers questions. I got 45 credits in distinction but trust me, it was not as EASY as others made it out to be lol. You have to put in a lot of work.

Hi, im interested in doing an access course. I've got a couple of questions. Did you get an offer for medicine? And what college did you apply to and do they provide accomodation.
I think they randomly went Pass, Merit, Distinction without even looking at the work.
Feeling really uncertain about how to get the best grades in Access to HE Social Science. Any advice? Had a rocky intial assessment (separate from the course) that has really thrown me off and knocked my confidence.
Original post by Kimchi19
Personally I found them relatively easy to obtain, I finished with 13 distinctions (39 credits) and did not feel like I had put in the work required to get them.. obviously there is a certain degree of hard work you need to put it in to get it.
I'd advise just doing the best you can and fulfill the criteria to the best standard, you'd be surprised how easy it can be to get distinctions :smile:

Not that hard?? Was college cheating? Or doing an easy subject? I am doing science and very hard to get 100% in all tests/assignments for a unit. Teachers always find something wrong even if revise fully never going to know answer to all questions. Even A at alevel only 85-90% and yet require BBB a levels but distinctions on access??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending