The Student Room Group

Access to HE

I’m starting an access to HE course in 2 weeks and just want to know everything possible there is to know before starting it. Anyone who has done one willing to give me their experiences?
Original post by Miljo06
I’m starting an access to HE course in 2 weeks and just want to know everything possible there is to know before starting it. Anyone who has done one willing to give me their experiences?

What do you specifically want to know?
Reply 2
I finished my access to Health course last year and honestly it was amazing i loved every minute. The course is intensive from the first day so be prepared to invest alot of time outside of classes for completing assignments. Originally I started with 3 collage days as there is a compulsory ict unit but luckily students who felt confident were able to complete this at home after the first few months. I also was self studying gcses so i had extra work. Personally I struggled to work whilst studying, I was self employed but a few other students did work minimal hours but found it hard. I got distinctions for all graded units. Anything specific you want to know just ask.
Reply 3
Original post by Brum2wolvo
I finished my access to Health course last year and honestly it was amazing i loved every minute. The course is intensive from the first day so be prepared to invest alot of time outside of classes for completing assignments. Originally I started with 3 collage days as there is a compulsory ict unit but luckily students who felt confident were able to complete this at home after the first few months. I also was self studying gcses so i had extra work. Personally I struggled to work whilst studying, I was self employed but a few other students did work minimal hours but found it hard. I got distinctions for all graded units. Anything specific you want to know just ask.

how was your assignment briefs? were they quite simple and straightforward? i did btec applied science lv 3 last year and found some of the assignment briefs to be very complex and hard to understand. is it the same thing with access?
Original post by Miljo06

@Miljo06
Hello! I've taught on an Access to HE pathway for about 10 years so I can help.

The title of an Access to HE program isn't really that important, for instance I have some paramedics on my Nursing and Midwifery pathway, there are some primary school teachers and social workers on the Social Sciences pathway. The key thing is that the credits match up with what a University wants for your desired degree choice.

Typically an access pathway is made up of 3 modules - for Nursing it is Human Biology, Health Science, and usually Health Studies - this would have been validated by an awarding body, it is Open Awards in the North West. Each module (or 'subject') is usually worth 15 credits, so that's 45 in total - and you will do assignments to get graded credits, a pass, merit, or a distinction. a better grade is worth more UCAS credit points to meet a target of entry criteria set by the university.

There are also ungraded unit's where you have to prove certain skills such as essay writing, IT skills etc - tbh, that's quite boring and different institutions handle that differently so I'll skip over that.

Think of Access as being like 3 A levels squashed into one year.

A really useful tip is to start having a look at Harvard referencing if you have not come across it before, referencing your work accurately will dramatically improve your grades

** anyone reading this post who is considering Access should bare in mind that adult learners who have not done a Level 3 course before like A levels can apply for an Advanced Learner Loan for the course, this is completely written off when you complete your degree **

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending