The Student Room Group

A Level Chemistry: OCR A or OCR B (Salters)?

The sixth form that I want to go to offers OCR B (Salters) for Chemistry A Level, which I think sounds interesting and I think that the sections on drugs and pharmaceuticals might be useful to me in the future (I would like to go on to study medicine). However, when researching OCR B, I read some really bad reviews of the course. Is it actually as bad as some people make out? The school I currently go to offers OCR A for A Level Chemistry, and I haven't heard as many horror stories about that... Would I be better staying where I am and doing OCR A or going to the other sixth form and doing OCR B? What do people who are doing either of the courses think of them?

Cheers :smile:
Reply 1
I hated AS OCR B Salters Chem as you find yourself spending more than half of your time studying and memorising mark schemes than the subject. Hopefully, depending on results, I will drop it :biggrin:. I think the A2 coursework is a nightmare.
Thanks,
So you would suggest I do OCR A?
Reply 3
Original post by ifyouseelaura
Thanks,
So you would suggest I do OCR A?

IMO I think AQA and OCR A are definitely better than salters OCR B by a long shot! I personally prefer AQA IMO than OCR in general though. But you may find OCR A okay. Check out
http://a-levelchemistry.co.uk/
I couldn't use that resource which seems great, as I did OCR salters, but with either OCR A or even AQA you get to use that.
Reply 4
The sixth form that I want to go to offers OCR B (Salters) for Chemistry A Level, which I think sounds interesting and I think that the sections on drugs and pharmaceuticals might be useful to me in the future (I would like to go on to study medicine). However, when researching OCR B, I read some really bad reviews of the course. Is it actually as bad as some people make out? The school I currently go to offers OCR A for A Level Chemistry, and I haven't heard as many horror stories about that... Would I be better staying where I am and doing OCR A or going to the other sixth form and doing OCR B? What do people who are doing either of the courses think of them?

See
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2407714

Thanks, that link's really useful :smile:
Reply 6

I actually prefer OCR B, you can see and understand more of the applications of chemistry as opposed to just rote learning the concepts without seeing how they can be applied.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending