The Student Room Group

Can Biomedical Engineering get you into the Medical field?

I've heard all sorts, some say yes that I can get into Medical school with BM degree or do a post graduate degree in Medicine, some say no.
Yes, you can do a medicine degree with a biomedical engineering degree! We have a big guide to graduate-entry medicine on TSR! :smile:

There are also universities who will consider you for the 5 year medicine course with a degree, too!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
Yes, you can do a medicine degree with a biomedical engineering degree! We have a big guide to graduate-entry medicine on TSR! :smile:

There are also universities who will consider you for the 5 year medicine course with a degree, too!

****, If I did that I'll be 30.
Original post by Willbean
do a post graduate degree in Medicine, some say no.

I misread this the first time around, so didn't address this. Important point:

"Postgrad degrees" in medicine are reserved for people who already have a medical degree. Furthermore, medically-related postgrad degrees won't qualify you to practise as a doctor: the only way to do that, from a UK institution, is to get a Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery degree, which is what all of the UK med schools award. :smile:

****, If I did that I'll be 30.

You don't need a degree to apply to medicine! Even if you've been out of school for a few years, you'd still qualify if your A levels were alright. :smile:
If GEM is your only option, then I wouldn't worry too much about age. There's a 27/28 year old on my course right now, and she's only in her first year. That's not even old in some schools! Some medical schools have people in their 30s, 40s and 50s who've just started!
Reply 4
I misread this the first time around, so didn't address this. Important point:

"Postgrad degrees" in medicine are reserved for people who already have a medical degree. Furthermore, medically-related postgrad degrees won't qualify you to practise as a doctor: the only way to do that, from a UK institution, is to get a Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery degree, which is what all of the UK med schools award. :smile:

You don't need a degree to apply to medicine! Even if you've been out of school for a few years, you'd still qualify if your A levels were alright. :smile:
If GEM is your only option, then I wouldn't worry too much about age. There's a 27/28 year old on my course right now, and she's only in her first year. That's not even old in some schools! Some medical schools have people in their 30s, 40s and 50s who've just started!

I didn't do A-levels though. I did an apprenticeship and BTEC together in Engineering?

Because of issues concerning me doing both, and further issues of doing an HNC in Mech Eng, I'm over qualified for a foundation degree, but just off for a degree.
I didn't do A-levels though. I did an apprenticeship and BTEC together in Engineering?

Because of issues concerning me doing both, and further issues of doing an HNC in Mech Eng, I'm over qualified for a foundation degree, but just off for a degree.

Ahh that sucks, man. But you could totally still get in via GEM, although it's really competitive (more competitive than the 5 year for school leavers). No need for it to be biomedical engineering, either - lots of unis will accept a degree in any subject: the guide there has loads of information on which ones will accept any degree, and which ones want a specific kind of degree.
You have to be careful as well, because some unis have A level requirements even for graduates!
Reply 6
Ahh that sucks, man. But you could totally still get in via GEM, although it's really competitive (more competitive than the 5 year for school leavers). No need for it to be biomedical engineering, either - lots of unis will accept a degree in any subject: the guide there has loads of information on which ones will accept any degree, and which ones want a specific kind of degree.
You have to be careful as well, because some unis have A level requirements even for graduates!

GEM - Graduate entry?

Even if say I got a 1st or a 2.1, it would still be competitive despite my degree has some Medicine training it?

Why A-level requirements? I have non at all.
GEM - Graduate entry?

yep!

Even if say I got a 1st or a 2.1, it would still be competitive despite my degree has some Medicine training it?

A 2:1 is the minimum for most unis, some are a 1st minimum, and some are a 2:2.
It doesn't matter how medically-related your degree is, it'd still be super competitive. :sadnod:

Why A-level requirements? I have non at all.

Because if you apply to a uni with A level requirements, with no A levels, they'll reject you. So you have to pick the ones without the strict A level requirements, or ones that'll accept your BTEC and HNC in lieu of them!
Reply 8
yep!

A 2:1 is the minimum for most unis, some are a 1st minimum, and some are a 2:2.
It doesn't matter how medically-related your degree is, it'd still be super competitive. :sadnod:

Because if you apply to a uni with A level requirements, with no A levels, they'll reject you. So you have to pick the ones without the strict A level requirements, or ones that'll accept your BTEC and HNC in lieu of them!

So I still have a chance of getting further into the Medical industry then?

Such as this: http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/gem/prospective/graduateentrymedicine/application/entry-requirements.aspx
(edited 10 years ago)
So I still have a chance of getting further into the Medical industry then?

Yep. :yes:
I wouldn't really call it an "industry" as much as a "profession", though. :tongue:

Exactly like that one!
Reply 10
Yep. :yes:
I wouldn't really call it an "industry" as much as a "profession", though. :tongue:

Exactly like that one!

That's great, thanks a lot for the help.

Best I can thank you with is a thumbs up.

Oh and what can I do with Biomedical Engineering?
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending