The Student Room Group

BEng BioMedEng after an MEng MechEng ???

I am in my final year of MEng in Mech Eng, and plan to do a degreee in BioMed Eng. I only have a GCSE qualification in Biology. Will choosing a BEng or an MSc be better for me? I am not sure what i want to do in the future, and want to explore my options.
Original post by Shadows4K
I am in my final year of MEng in Mech Eng, and plan to do a degreee in BioMed Eng. I only have a GCSE qualification in Biology. Will choosing a BEng or an MSc be better for me? I am not sure what i want to do in the future, and want to explore my options.

Why not just go straight into employment in the sector?
Reply 2
Original post by Smack
Why not just go straight into employment in the sector?

I do want to work in the sector or at a university however I do plan to get a degree in BME before I do so.
Reply 3
There are so many different ways to explore your options without jumping into another degree, but everyone has different preferences. If you're stuck on going back to uni;

You should check around, see if there are any MSc options in the Biomedical Engineering field that you can join with the modules you've done. Mechanical Engineering can open doors to so many different fields including the medical areas.

You could also try to find an apprenticeship instead of another traditional degree so that you can have some money and hands-on experience while studying.

If you're willing to try something else other than uni, just work. Work and float between different fields. You'll definitely find a lot of options to explore in the industry.
Reply 4
Original post by DarylO
There are so many different ways to explore your options without jumping into another degree, but everyone has different preferences. If you're stuck on going back to uni;

You should check around, see if there are any MSc options in the Biomedical Engineering field that you can join with the modules you've done. Mechanical Engineering can open doors to so many different fields including the medical areas.

You could also try to find an apprenticeship instead of another traditional degree so that you can have some money and hands-on experience while studying.

If you're willing to try something else other than uni, just work. Work and float between different fields. You'll definitely find a lot of options to explore in the industry.

I just want to have all the necessary qualifications done and dusted before I go for work, whether thats a full time job in the medical engineering sector or at a university.

Will MSc in Biomedical Engineering teach me the Biological knowledge that I lack? Or would I have to gain this from reading articles and reports bit by bit?

I have looked around to find a degree apprenticeship in BME, however the companies that do them are extremely far from where I live.
Original post by Shadows4K
I just want to have all the necessary qualifications done and dusted before I go for work, whether thats a full time job in the medical engineering sector or at a university.

Will MSc in Biomedical Engineering teach me the Biological knowledge that I lack? Or would I have to gain this from reading articles and reports bit by bit?

I have looked around to find a degree apprenticeship in BME, however the companies that do them are extremely far from where I live.

If you can secure a job you will have the necessary qualifications. However, if you are intent on studying for a biomedical engineering degree, a masters (MSc) would make a lot more sense as you already have an engineering degree.
Reply 6
Original post by Smack
If you can secure a job you will have the necessary qualifications. However, if you are intent on studying for a biomedical engineering degree, a masters (MSc) would make a lot more sense as you already have an engineering degree.

I will take this path in that case, thank you

Quick Reply

Latest