The Student Room Group

Girls Vs Boys Chemistry Challenge!

If you can't beat 'em, join 'em!

RULES: Ask a question and the first gender who answers correctly three times in a row gains +1 point for their gender. Do try and keep track of the score!

Please keep the material at a reasonable standard preferably GCSE up to A-Level; but don't be afraid to stretch the fellow Chemists of TSR!

First question: Distinguish between an exothermic and endothermic reaction.

Scroll to see replies

Exothermic produces energy (heat) while endothermic uses energy (heat)

Why does chlorine have a mass number of 35.5?
Original post by That Bearded Man

Chlorine has two isotope Cl35 and Cl37 that exist in an abundance of 3:1. The weighted average of the two is 35.5.
Reply 3
Original post by That Bearded Man

Correct! 1 point to the Boys.
Original post by Technetium
Chlorine has two isotope Cl35 and Cl37 that exist in an abundance of 3:1. The weighted average of the two is 35.5.

Yup - 1-1
Reply 5
State 2 flaws of the Kekulé model of Benzene.
Original post by InfinitePi
State 2 flaws of the Kekulé model of Benzene.

- A cyclic triene should show addition reactions which Benzene rarely does.

- The structure would not be symmetrical because double bonds are shorter than single bonds.
Question: Why is Ammonia a better ligand than Water?.
Reply 8
- A cyclic triene should show addition reactions which Benzene rarely does.

- The structure would not be symmetrical because double bonds are shorter than single bonds.

Correct!

Girls: 2, Boys: 1
Question: Why is Ammonia a better ligand than Water?.

Sorry but that is a very bad question..... define how you mean 'better'?
Original post by JMaydom
Sorry but that is a very bad question..... define how you mean 'better'?

Why is Ammonia better at forming bonds with a central metal ion than Water.
(edited 10 years ago)

Better :P

I'll leave answering these questions to you school kids!
Original post by JMaydom
Better :P

I'll leave answering these questions to you school kids!

Unfortunately the Chemists of TSR do not seem interested. :frown:

Well you'll find that most of the people answering queries here are past A-Level, so this quiz doesn't really apply to most of the regulars
Reply 14

Are you A-level? Out of interest, does the spectrochemical series make the syllabus?
Original post by Mr Snips
Are you A-level? Out of interest, does the spectrochemical series make the syllabus?

Just finished, no it does not. :frown:

How about another game in which the elements of PSE must be named by clues (the properties of elements)? It comes into my mind when I watched 'the big bang theory'. That would be interesting in my opinion - and a very different game to the other ones in biology and physics (although I like this variation too :smile:).
Original post by Kallisto
How about another game in which the elements of PSE must be named by clues (the properties of elements)? It comes into my mind when I watched 'the big bang theory'. That would be interesting in my opinion - and a very different game to the other ones in biology and physics (although I like this variation too :smile:).

That does sound interesting, but it is pretty limited because once the common and well known elements have been identified only the difficult ones will be left imagine describing Technetium :lol:. It is not my thread, so that is up to the OP. :smile:

I was hoping to be mentally stimulated in this thread, but nobody is posting!
Reply 18

I'm a little out of my depth here, but my (little bit bonkers) chemistry teacher always taught us that if something can form strong bonds with something else, its cause they have the right amount of electrons to fill the outer shell of the other element. however, seeing as were dealing with ions and molecules, instead of elements, i'm thinking its cause ammonia can fill the outer shell of the ion with less molecules of ammonia.

either that, or ammonia is more reactive than water.

(i may be completely wrong, i've only just completed GCSE chemistry! :P
Original post by MusicNerd
I'm a little out of my depth here, but my (little bit bonkers) chemistry teacher always taught us that if something can form strong bonds with something else, its cause they have the right amount of electrons to fill the outer shell of the other element. however, seeing as were dealing with ions and molecules, instead of elements, i'm thinking its cause ammonia can fill the outer shell of the ion with less molecules of ammonia.

either that, or ammonia is more reactive than water.

(i may be completely wrong, i've only just completed GCSE chemistry! :P

Clues coming up!!!

It's to do with how well the ligand can donate electron density to the metal ion.

Quick Reply

Latest