The Student Room Group

Depression and GP visits

Hey, Ive been on anti depressants since Feb and have a few questions..

1, How often do you have to visit your GP about depression.. I have to go each month to get more medication (I'm 19) is this a lot?
2, Do you still get scared?
3, I've had to go about 8 times now & I feel like I'm taking up too much of their time....
also I get scared of going, but not having that support also scares me. argh

:s-smilie: xx

Scroll to see replies

When I was at uni in England I saw my GP either weekly or every two weeks (along with seeing a psychiatrist) so I don't think once a month is very much. It's good that they're keeping an eye on you if anything. I was scared to start with (I've actually been diagnosed with avoidant PD so this isn't surprising) but I found a doctor who was friendly and listened to me so it wasn't that scary after a while. You get used to talking to professionals pretty quick in the mental health game. Don't worry about taking up too much time, if you're not seeing someone else then it can be good to have someone keeping an eye on your depression, that kind of thing can deteriorate pretty quick.
Reply 2
It's pretty normal to be seeing your GP monthly while depressed - they just like to monitor how you're doing, check you're not getting worse or anything. You're absolutely not wasting their time (hell a few years ago I was seeing my GP twice a week!), it's part of their job and indeed a high proportion of a GP's time is taken up dealing with mental health issues.

I still get a little nervous going to the doctor's (I think it's cos there's always a long wait before they call you in, makes it more intimidating somehow :tongue:), but I don't find it nearly as scary as a few years ago (long-term mentally ill :redface:).
Reply 3
I went once to get prescribed anti-depressants and then got fed up with being treated like I'm trying to waste their time. So I went to a private psych once a month maybe more. I don't remember because the anti-depressants made me forget. But it was about once a month. I hate going to my GP. It is never pleasant.
Reply 4
I've only had two experiences with this sort of thing.

The first time I had to see a doctor for severe anxiety (though I didn't know it was that at the time). He was rude, contemptuous and basically acted like I was wasting his time. He even thought at one point I was making it all up! He referred me for a blood test and that was it. It wasn't until I confirmed I'd had terrible, bad thoughts that he knew mental illness was at work here and referred me to a psychiatrist.

The second time, more recently, I had another flare-up of anxiety and depression. I felt edgy talking to my doctor about this (a different doctor, mind) but he was extremely nice, listened carefully to what I was saying and even gave me a mini counselling session himself! He then offered me some more practical advice to combat my anxiety rather than throwing tablets at me, and told me to return if it didn't work.

I don't go to the doctors often about it because while my symptoms are kind of chronic, they're not adversely affecting my life, they're mild - plus I feel like I'd be wasting the GP's time anyway. But I agree when you say you get scared, because it is a frightening prospect discussing this sort of thing with them, for two reasons: 1) Depending on who you see, they might be quick to dismiss you or think you're a time-waster and 2) Mental health is a sensitive topic and difficult to open up about anyway.
1, How often do you have to visit your GP about depression

I don't anymore. My bitch of a GP has put me off seeing her so I won't be seeing one until I find a new GP who doesn't make me feel uncomfortable.

I have to go each month to get more medication (I'm 19) is this a lot?

No, that's how often I used to go when I was on anti-depressants earlier this year. (Because I refuse to see my current GP I obviously can't take the anti depressants because the last time I was prescribed some was back in April I think. I've been off them since.)

I think they only give you a month's worth of meds because of fears over people ODing.

I never used to get scared, really. I mean, when I went to get diagnosed for the first time I was absolutely petrified. The anxiety became so bad at that point that I was so close to running out the GP's door even before I stepped into it.
The feeling of loneliness is a chronic feeling for me, but never did the feeling sting me as much as it did at that moment because I had literally nobody I could speak to -- my friends don't really think twice about this stuff, my family don't take me or my mental health seriously and my boyfriend suddenly decided to go AWOL from my life a couple of weeks prior so it was a really difficult situation for me and I felt lonelier and more lost than I ever had before. Having to accept that quite literally nobody cares about me when I really needed them to was the scariest thing for me. I do have to say, it did make me a much stronger and less sensitive (in a way where I just became cold and detached) person.

It's okay if you still feel scared, having to go through this is a really scary thing. If you have absolutely anyone (even strangers on the internet!) to speak to, then use them to your advantage so that you don't have to feel scared.

3, I've had to go about 8 times now & I feel like I'm taking up too much of their time....

You're not taking up their time, don't even think that. Their job is to help people like you and me, they do expect seeing us multiple times and do get paid for it, you know. :wink:
Have you got anyone you can confide in? Have you told anyone about what's going on? If so then use them to your advantage! Like I said, using anyone that you can get should be really beneficial to you. Any support is good support. If you feel scared about going then ask yourself exactly what you're scared about and see if there's anything that you can do to help yourself stop being afraid of that.
Reply 6
I saw mine every couple of weeks to start with and then every month. Now it's every 2-3 months or when I get a drug change/dose increase from my psychiatrist and need to take a letter to my GP for the prescription. If I'm starting a new drug they'll normally only prescribe me a month's worth the first time so they can check on me, then it'll be 2-3 months again.
Reply 7
Its good to know others have to see them that frequently.. It just felt like a lot.. maybe its because I never normally go to the Doctors! I feel like I'm there all the time now. I'm glad though, I feel well looked after... just don't want to be a pain that is always going there. I guess though if someone had a physical illness that could be so bad they couldn't get out of bed it would be perfectly normal to go to the Doctors often.
I have an appointment tomorrow..
Reply 8
also yes there are people I can confined in, I dont think they understand all that well and don't want to burden them too much
Reply 9
Original post by Anonymous
also yes there are people I can confined in, I dont think they understand all that well and don't want to burden them too much

Have you come across the mental health support society on here? It's great for chatting to people who understand what you're going through, and can often give good advice too. :smile:
Reply 10
Hey, Ive been on anti depressants since Feb and have a few questions..

1, How often do you have to visit your GP about depression.. I have to go each month to get more medication (I'm 19) is this a lot?

:s-smilie: xx

1.) I go to my GP every 2 weeks, and he always makes the appointments for me when in the room with him. I'm 20, and have had depression for round about 2 years. Unfortunately, I haven't had the same GP right the way through.

The first was very understanding, left after 6 months, got referred to another who was an absolute.. urgh.. just horrid, and my mum (unbelievable, I'm so much more dependant on my family, she went to this GP for her own health and sort of 'mentioned' me and he rung me and spoke to me for a blooming good hour about everything - me in tears all the time) got me referred to my current GP. i'm on my 6th type of antidepressent, but I've tried 2-5 different dosages of each. Persevere, eventually you'll find a medication that agrees with you, I've just been unfortunate i suppose.

2. Terrified! EVERYTIME! Night before appointments I cant sleep, anxiety attacks, even though I 'know' whats going to happen.

3. Think I was messed around in the system a bit, especially here in the north west of the country mental health support systems aren't widely available. After just under a year of waiting for CBT I finally got seen, but due to my therapist being rather unreliable I only received 2/6 sessions and wasn't offered any more. I was put back on the waiting list for a max of 20 weekly sessions. I would recommend speaking to your GP about this - anythings worth a shot!

Although, CBT isn't working for me. Its early days, but i just 'know'. There are many other therapies widely available too, so its worth considering those if your really at a loose end.
Reply 11
Original post by Vixen47

I mean, when I went to get diagnosed for the first time I was absolutely petrified. The anxiety became so bad at that point that I was so close to running out the GP's door even before I stepped into it.

THIS HAPPENED TO ME THE FIRST TIME I WENT!! So close to running out, when I got called in there were two trainee doctors.. I was like 'no thanks'!
Reply 12
Thank you to everyone who replied... He sorta put me on a repeat prescription which I don't know hoe long that will last.. and said that if im not going to start counselling just to say rather than put it off because he could then look at changing meds (ive been on for 7 months, only now got the courage to go to counselling)!
Its sort of nice not to have to go back next month, I just don't know when I will be going back? I'm guessing ill have to wait a while to get counselling.. even though I get scared of going, I do like the support that I get..
Thank you to everyone who replied... He sorta put me on a repeat prescription which I don't know hoe long that will last.. and said that if im not going to start counselling just to say rather than put it off because he could then look at changing meds (ive been on for 7 months, only now got the courage to go to counselling)!
Its sort of nice not to have to go back next month, I just don't know when I will be going back? I'm guessing ill have to wait a while to get counselling.. even though I get scared of going, I do like the support that I get..

I'm so glad you got the help you needed. Counselling isn't as bad as you first think. Just be honest with them.

Make another doctor's appointment whenever you feel the need to - could be if you're feeling worse and are worried, or even if you're feeling the same and are sick of it. Remember that mental health problems require treatment and progress checks just like any other illness, so just use your common sense about when to make appointments - or if you feel like you're all out of common sense, ask us! :tongue:
Reply 15
A GP stuck me on Fluoxetine 7 months ago and I've only got to see them a handful of times since :s-smilie: are we supposed to call up? She said she'd check on me every few weeks and she just didn't
Now she's moved to another clinic and I'll be seeing some locum doctor next time instead who I've never met before :/

Having said that I've been in extensive therapy/counselling and also I'm pretty sure I'm known as the annoying kid for pedantic questions relating to hypochondria ha
Original post by Riku
A GP stuck me on Fluoxetine 7 months ago and I've only got to see them a handful of times since :s-smilie: are we supposed to call up? She said she'd check on me every few weeks and she just didn't
Now she's moved to another clinic and I'll be seeing some locum doctor next time instead who I've never met before :/

Having said that I've been in extensive therapy/counselling and also I'm pretty sure I'm known as the annoying kid for pedantic questions relating to hypochondria ha

If you want to see your doctor more, and think you have good reason, e.g. progress check on antidepressants, then I'd just make the appointment rather than wait for them to contact you. They're way overworked people and it's unfortunately almost inevitable that they'll forget about these things sometimes.

Seeing a new doctor can be scary, but hopefully they'll be nice and helpful. :smile:
Reply 17
I see a counsellor from mental health (CAMHS) once per week about depression and self harm. I see a dietician from the NHS once per week about my eating disorder (Anorexia) and I see another woman about my social anxiety. So, most of the time I see three different people per week but I don't see my GP anymore because he didn't really help. I get scared when I see my mental health counsellor because I have to open up to them about how I'm feeling and I've had to tell them about my past. It's normal for you to be scared, I always get butterflies before I go in. I always feel like I waste their time because I'm not improving, I'm still self harming, still starving myself and still miserably failing to commit suicide. They understand that they have to patient because mental illness takes time to recover from so don't worry :smile:
Reply 18
he told me just to order a repete prescription... how many times can I do this? will he contact me when he wants to see me?
he told me just to order a repete prescription... how many times can I do this? will he contact me when he wants to see me?

You order a repeat prescription any time you run out - if the doctor wants to see you there'll be a note with the prescription when you go pick it up (how it's worked with me at least). And you can still ask for an appointment any time you feel the need. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest