The Student Room Group

Will I still be able to get into medicine w/o Hospital/doctor shadowing experience?

I got AAAA at AS and 6 A*s 5 As at GCSE. I have 2 weeks' pharmacy work experience, 1 week dentists (to see how healthcare in general works), 2 weeks with a GP. I work at the British Heart Fousation and a food shelter for the homeless on Sundays. I also teach children for 2 hours on certain weekdays at the community centre which I helped to build two years ago. I also work in a care home and have reached national level debating 2 years ago and I enjoy writing etc.
I haven't yet done the UKCAT test but I am hopeful that I'll do well. Despite these facts, will I still be able to be considered for Medicine without hospital/shadowing a doctor experience? HELP!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
AS Grades were in Biology, Chemistry, Politics and Philosophy, predicted A*A*A

Posted from TSR Mobile
yes you can

care home/GP/pharmacy are all good experiences where you can learn a lot. Medical schools know how tough it is to get w/e in hospitals.
As long as you demonstrate in words what you've learnt and relate it back to medicine, you should be fine.
Why do you not have that experience? If it is simply because nowhere is willing to give you work experience despite you making a real effort then I am sure the universities will be sympathetic to this. There are plenty of people in the same situation. If you have not done everything possible to get work experience then I would strongly suggest you write to the human resources department of every hospital which you could feasibly travel to and ask if they can help you. Good luck :smile:
Reply 4
Thank you so much for your replies <3 the truth is, I didn't think I'd be a doctor a year ago haha that's why I didn't apply then. I applied 4/5 months ago and received no replies, guess waiting lists were too long or something? But I just fear these massive University robotic admissions officers won't have emotions towards my difficulties

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by DalimIrubab
I got AAAA at AS and 6 A*s 5 As at GCSE. I have 2 weeks' pharmacy work experience, 1 week dentists (to see how healthcare in general works), 2 weeks with a GP. I work at the British Heart Fousation and a food shelter for the homeless on Sundays. I also teach children for 2 hours on certain weekdays at the community centre which I helped to build two years ago. I also work in a care home and have reached national level debating 2 years ago and I enjoy writing etc.
I haven't yet done the UKCAT test but I am hopeful that I'll do well. Despite these facts, will I still be able to be considered for Medicine without hospital/shadowing a doctor experience? HELP!

Posted from TSR Mobile

YES! Universities value caring experience much more because they know how difficult it is to get shadowing experience + those that have it have mommy or daddy helping them get it sometimes which isn't fair as most people don't have relatives in the NHS. Just make sure you reflect a lot on what you DO have.
Reply 6
Original post by tibbles209
write to the human resources department of every hospital which you could feasibly travel to and ask if they can help you.

THIS

I live in the south east (near gatwick airport) and for my hospital experience I went to St. Georges Hospital and Bournemouth. It was a pain, but so worth it.

That being said if it really isn't possible then just reflect everything you say back to medicine and you should be fine :smile:
Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending