The Student Room Group

Physiotherapy MSc - Work Experience

Hello, I'm planning to apply for the accelerated 2 year course in Physiotherapy later on this year. I am considering Birmingham, BCU, KCL, Southampton and Portsmouth but this could change.

I have 2 days of shadowing experience with a doctor (I was originally planning on applying to Medicine), I have worked voluntarily as a youth work assistant on and off for almost 3 years and briefly worked in a care home earlier this year. From what I understand, direct work experience with physiotherapy isn't usually necessary as it is very difficult to get, however Birmingham specifies physio-related experience in its course description.

Would my experience be enough to apply to most unis, or would it be an idea to gain more experience? A friend who was recently given an offer for the BSc course told me that voluntary work in hospitals/healthcare environments is beneficial, but I'm not sure if the requirements would be stricter for the MSc course (basing this on the difference in experience required for undergrad-entry Medicine vs GEM)
Original post by ArtisticScreech
Hello, I'm planning to apply for the accelerated 2 year course in Physiotherapy later on this year. I am considering Birmingham, BCU, KCL, Southampton and Portsmouth but this could change.

I have 2 days of shadowing experience with a doctor (I was originally planning on applying to Medicine), I have worked voluntarily as a youth work assistant on and off for almost 3 years and briefly worked in a care home earlier this year. From what I understand, direct work experience with physiotherapy isn't usually necessary as it is very difficult to get, however Birmingham specifies physio-related experience in its course description.

Would my experience be enough to apply to most unis, or would it be an idea to gain more experience? A friend who was recently given an offer for the BSc course told me that voluntary work in hospitals/healthcare environments is beneficial, but I'm not sure if the requirements would be stricter for the MSc course (basing this on the difference in experience required for undergrad-entry Medicine vs GEM)

I would say try and get some specific physio experience. I'm starting the 2 year programme in September at UClan and a lot of the interviews focused on why specifically physiotherapy rather than other health professions (medicine, nursing, OT etc.). I didn't have a huge amount of clinical experience but my undergraduate placement year was in an orthopaedic hospital doing rehab with patients and that was the selling point of my interviews. So yeah the care home and youth work will definitely help your chances but try and get a bit of specific experience with a physiotherapist. Hope this helps!
Reply 2
Original post by ArtisticScreech

I need a Physiotherapist please
Reply 3
Original post by salAmz

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending