The Student Room Group

Work Experience Year 10

I am going to year 10 ,
I was thinking what work experience I should do as I want to do medicine in future..
please leave suggestions
Hey there, thanks for posting a question in the Medicine forum. :biggrin:

The Medicine forum gets a high volume of questions being posted, and some of these are already answered by the resources and Megathreads that members of the community and volunteers have created. This is an automatic post which is designed to highlight these resources. Below is a list of threads and articles that could answer your question (you should be looking in the original post of the megathreads). If one of the below threads is a more relevant place to ask your question, please post a reply in that thread to ask your question. If your query is answered by one of the Megathreads or articles linked below, and you would like us to close this thread for you, please reply to this thread with just the words "thank you". A member of our team will then get it locked.

Megathreads
(Please read the first post, before then posting any further questions you have within that thread.)
The "Which Medical School Should I Apply To?" Uberthread
The Ultimate 'Am I Good Enough For Medicine?' Angst Thread
Medicine A-Level subjects queries
Work Experience and Voluntary Work

2023 Applicants:
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2023 Entry
Graduate Entry Medicine 2023 Entry
Medicine 2023 entry for resit / retake / gap year applicants
A100 Medicine for International Students 2023 Entry
Medicine Interview discussion 2023 Entry
2023 entry A100 / A101 Medicine fastest and slowest offer senders
Index of Individual Medical School Applicants' threads 2023 Entry

2024 Applicants :
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2024 Entry
Graduate Entry Medicine 2024 Entry
GAMSAT 2024 / 2025 entry discussions megathread
UCAT 2024 Entry Discussions Megathread

Other application years:
Graduate Entry Medicine 2025 Entry
Official Undergraduate Medicine 2025 Entry

Useful Articles:
GCSE Requirements for Medicine
Everything you need to know about the BMAT
Work Experience as a Graduate or Mature student
Medicine Personal Statement Advice
Medicine Personal Statement Advice (Graduate Entry)
Interview Frequently Asked Questions
MMI Medicine Interview Tips
What to do after an unsuccessful first application

If your query is answered by one of the Megathreads or articles linked above, and you would like us to close this thread for you, please reply to this thread with just the words "thank you". A member of our team will then get it locked.
Placements in a hospital, volunteering at a care home or anywhere really, i know its not work experience but still really important for your med school application…
Online work experience e.g Brighton and Sussex medical school, medology
If you want any suggestions in how to find Wex and you live in London then you can look into GOSH young visitor programme and some other hospitals also have similar applications for work experience. Alternatively you could ask family/ friends if you can shadow them or email doctors. Hope this helps, good luck!
(edited 2 months ago)
Original post by Alm_xo
I am going to year 10 ,
I was thinking what work experience I should do as I want to do medicine in future..
please leave suggestions

Hey!
With work experience for medicine, it is more about what you learn from the placement and how you reflect on it than what you actually do. You can spend time with any healthcare professionals, not just doctors. If you can't get experience in a hospital, you can volunteer in a care home, youth club, centre for the blind etc, or even a school. These things you can use to show that you like caring for people and you have good people skills.
You can put a CV into your local GP practice or email them them to see if you can spend time with them. A lot of major hospitals will also have work experience programmes that you can apply for, so I would have a look at these!
If you want to talk more about it, feel free to reply on here or message the page! Good luck!
Evie (4th year medic at UoS)
Reply 4
Original post by University of Sheffield Students
Hey!
With work experience for medicine, it is more about what you learn from the placement and how you reflect on it than what you actually do. You can spend time with any healthcare professionals, not just doctors. If you can't get experience in a hospital, you can volunteer in a care home, youth club, centre for the blind etc, or even a school. These things you can use to show that you like caring for people and you have good people skills.
You can put a CV into your local GP practice or email them them to see if you can spend time with them. A lot of major hospitals will also have work experience programmes that you can apply for, so I would have a look at these!
If you want to talk more about it, feel free to reply on here or message the page! Good luck!

Can i have more information of medicine in Uni of Sheffield - I live very close to it and I am 100% I will go there.
Original post by Alm_xo
Can i have more information of medicine in Uni of Sheffield - I live very close to it and I am 100% I will go there.

Hi,
It is great to hear that you are so keen to come to Sheffield!
What kind of information would you like? About the style of teaching? The hospitals? Or just a general overview of how it all works.
Reply 6
Original post by University of Sheffield Students
Hi,
It is great to hear that you are so keen to come to Sheffield!
What kind of information would you like? About the style of teaching? The hospitals? Or just a general overview of how it all works.

Even thinking about it is making me have goosebumps.
i just want general information! I will only do my gcses in 2026 😂

what I am scared of though, is getting my hopes up and not getting into medicine ..but I have manifested too much lol

Also what I would like to ask , how is the campus :smile:
and how is medicine going for you 😊 and what speciality would you like to do in the future!
Original post by Alm_xo
I am going to year 10 ,
please leave suggestions

I suggest you try a pharmacy. They usually do offer WE whereas hospitals you need to be 16+. I haven’t tried this myself but maybe you can try contact a care home or local gp to see if they offer work experience

I hope this helps you and good luck with your work experience!!
Reply 8
Original post by Ilovemygf.
I suggest you try a pharmacy. They usually do offer WE whereas hospitals you need to be 16+. I haven’t tried this myself but maybe you can try contact a care home or local gp to see if they offer work experience
I hope this helps you and good luck with your work experience!!

oh that's a nice alternative , sure I'll check it out
Original post by Alm_xo
I am going to year 10 ,
please leave suggestions

Hi there,

I think the work experience for medicine really differs from place to place. I am aware that it can take a while to get work experience, especially in the medical area which is why lots of medical school now accept other forms of work experience as well. For example, there are lots of virtual work experience events which you can sign up for as well as many university led events which you may find a uni local to you offers. I think the main thing for medicine is that they want you to have experience that is patient/public facing. Sometimes shadowing a doctor in a hospital or a GP surgery can be helpful to show you what a working day is like for a doctor, but it doesn't give you that much experience of interacting and communicating with the public.
I know Sunderland does not accept shadowing as a form of work experience as it is not the best way to learn skills. I think one of the key things is volunteering in a care home, or a charity shop, or at a shelter. These roles all give you experience of working with the public and help you to build your skills of communication which is what medical schools often look for.
I also personally had experience working in a shoe shop- this was for an extended period of time and the medical schools were all interested to hear about this as it gave me a plethora of experience dealing with the general public and helping to problem solve.

I think the main points are trying to get something that is public facing, but also showing the longevity of your experience, so try starting asap volunteering so you have been doing it for a long time when you come to apply- this will really strengthen your application.

I hope this helps,

Ellen
Y4 Medical Student
Uni of Sunderland
Original post by Alm_xo
Even thinking about it is making me have goosebumps.
i just want general information! I will only do my gcses in 2026 😂
what I am scared of though, is getting my hopes up and not getting into medicine ..but I have manifested too much lol
Also what I would like to ask , how is the campus :smile:
and how is medicine going for you 😊 and what speciality would you like to do in the future!

Hey!
I am sorry for not seeing this sooner!
It can be scary having a goal in mind, but you are doing the right thing by being proactive about it now. And everything you do to get into medicine will be helpful for whatever career or degree you decide to do. It is okay to change your mind at any point, but by getting some experience in a healthcare setting you might start to see what it could be like to work as a doctor.
In terms of how the course works, it varies across Universities but the content is pretty much the same. In Sheffield, you have lecture-based teaching for the first two years, and then you are on placement most of the time for the last 3 years. A typical first year timetable includes lectures every morning from 9-12, and then group tutorials and practical sessions in the afternoons. This includes things like anatomy, group GP placements (from first year), clinical skills and problem-based teaching.
The campus at Sheffield is really nice, because everything is close together you can walk between buildings. You are also surrounded by parks and green spaces, but it is also very close to the city.
I am at the end of my fourth year now, I am often very busy with placement but I am still really enjoying learning. I am getting more responsibility as I move up through the years, which is good because I feel like I am doing things that are more worthwhile.
I am still unsure about what specialty I want to do. I was interested in surgery for a long time, but since spending more time on different placements I have become much more interested in psychiatry and nutrition, so I think I would like to do something that combines both of those.
What makes you want to do medicine? and are there any areas you are particularly interested in?
Evie :smile:)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending