The Student Room Group

Year abroad affecting Student Loan?

Hi there - this is my first post!
I am a mature(ish) student (23) and I've just been accepted to study Mental Health Nursing at Brighton and am now wading through the student finance forms.

I am encountering a problem with the 3 year residency question as I was in Australia for two years from 2009-2011. I initially went for a year and stayed with my uncle and helped look after his kids, but extended my visitor visa for a working holiday visa and did some voluntary work out there - but my intention was always to come home, and it was never my permanent home.

The year 2010-11 is the first of the three year qualifying years, and it is looking like I'm going to get a reduced loan and worse still reduced NHS bursary/fees paid as I was out of the country

Has anyone else had any experience of this??? I was born and brought up in the UK, my home has always been the UK, my normal residence has always been the UK - It feels really unfair to be penalised for traveling and gaining life experiences.

Any suggestions would be appreciated as it's putting a bit of a damper on my excitement of getting a place, as I can't see how I can afford things on a reduction of funds available.

Thanks so much
No way round it I'm afraid.
Reply 2
Really? I have the evidence to prove I was only there on a working holiday visa and was never resident, and also I have always been on the electoral roll in the UK - even when I was away. Won't that be enough to prove that I am "normally resident" in the UK??

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending